The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lethal Performance Over Axle Pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys, I am looking at ordering the Gen2 Lethal Performance over axle pipes and I was just wondering if anyone can comment on these. Is there any noticeable improvement as far as sound and power is concerned. I know there are claims of 7 RWHP but I would like real world experiences. The only mods so far are Airaid CF CAI with Ford Racing 84.5mm TB, 7/8" cut outs and 13 GT500 mufflers. Headers will come down the road, they just aren't in the budget currently. Any input you guys have on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sound yes, power not enough to really notice. I like mine, but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't buy them, simply cuz I'm building a custom 3" stainless system and I'd rather have the money for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still on the fence about the over axles. I did the headers and mid pipe, now I'm waiting on the cat deletes. The changes I made so far are very noticeable and the sound, lets just say you will be tanking up more often.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
racered302 said:
I'm still on the fence about the over axles. I did the headers and mid pipe, now I'm waiting on the cat deletes. The changes I made so far are very noticeable and the sound, lets just say you will be tanking up more often.
the cat deletes will make the car incredibly loud

the lethal gen 2 OTA pipes are the best I've seen. I love that it is a 2 piece design so there is plenty of room to work with especially if you are lowered. I did all my exhaust mods at once so I cant post numbers from my butt dyno. But their OTA pipe is way smoother and less kinked that the factory piping

USNjocson said:
the lethal gen 2 OTA pipes are the best I've seen. I love that it is a 2 piece design so there is plenty of room to work with especially if you are lowered. I did all my exhaust mods at once so I cant post numbers from my butt dyno. But their OTA pipe is way smoother and less kinked that the factory piping

I suppose the sound thing is out of the question as well then looking at your mod list.

Considering Lethal OA pipes myself (along with aftermarket mid pipes). Since they would replace the factory resonators, I'm wondering if they cause any drone anywhere in the RPM range?

dabossinne said:
Considering Lethal OA pipes myself (along with aftermarket mid pipes). Since they would replace the factory resonators, I'm wondering if they cause any drone anywhere in RPM range?

This is also one of my concerns. I can't really see a difference but I've noticed Borla makes a set too for more money.

I was quoted a price for the Borla's $350 shipped. Their 2.75" but I was told by Shaun it's not a big deal that their not 3".

USNjocson said:

How low are you / what springs are you running? I have the Steeda Boss springs with a Kook's 3" cat backs / over axle pipes and my rear axle occasionally hits the pipes. It the lethal pipes or JPC pipes will give me more clearance for suspension movement, I would gladly buy them.

Thanks,
Steve

Justin

2012-Boss said:
How low are you / what springs are you running? I have the Steeda Boss springs with a Kook's 3" cat backs / over axle pipes and my rear axle occasionally hits the pipes. It the lethal pipes or JPC pipes will give me more clearance for suspension movement, I would gladly buy them.

Thanks,
Steve
I have magnaflow 3" cat back and it doesnt hit a thing and I have t springs. sounds like you have some adjusting to do...

Thanks. I have thought the same, needs adjustment. But, adjustment usually corrects issues where contact is occurring at the curve above and before the axle. Where I see evidence of contact is after the curve leading into the straight portion over the axle.

I will shift the pipes around. Maybe I will get some more clearance. I should clarify that the contact only occurs on some pretty hard bumps - like hitting curbing a little to hard....

Justin

2012-Boss said:
Thanks. I have thought the same, needs adjustment. But, adjustment usually corrects issues where contact is occurring at the curve above and before the axle. Where I see evidence of contact is after the curve leading into the straight portion over the axle.

I will shift the pipes around. Maybe I will get some more clearance. I should clarify that the contact only occurs on some pretty hard bumps - like hitting curbing a little to hard....
check the gap between the pipe and the spare tire well. thats where mine would contact going over large bumps. i had to adjust the muffler brackets a little to pull it away from it. i find you want at least a fingers gap around every thing. the other trouble area is drives side going over the panhard brace. if its close you can use some washers to lower the mounting point by a 1/4"

Ive had poor luck with over JPC over axle pipes. Never got them to fit properly. Whether this was an install error or design error I eventually went back to stock with resonators removed and never looked back.

No drone with my lethal ota nor did I develop a rasp from it. From my experience the drone depended on the mufflers and the only mufflers I had drone from was the magnaflow muffler deletes.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
sadil said:
Ive had poor luck with over JPC over axle pipes. Never got them to fit properly. Whether this was an install error or design error I eventually went back to stock with resonators removed and never looked back.

Funny thing is JPC and Lethal OAPs are made by the same company. You may have gotten the original design. Don't know what the differences are, but they went to "gen 2" for a reason;)

I am working a deal to sell this company's products. I just got one of their OAPs (from lethal) and it looks like a quality piece. After I test, I feel I may end up working with them to offer a pipe set with resonators for those of us who don't love drone and super loud exhaust, but still want performance benefits of eliminating all those terrible kinks!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Justin said:
check the gap between the pipe and the spare tire well. thats where mine would contact going over large bumps. i had to adjust the muffler brackets a little to pull it away from it. i find you want at least a fingers gap around every thing. the other trouble area is drives side going over the panhard brace. if its close you can use some washers to lower the mounting point by a 1/4"

I had installed the same 3.0" MagnaFlow system, with X pipe, I really like this system and I'm happy with the quality of the stainless steel they used. But for the past 10 months, (since I installed the FRPP "T" springs), I fiddled with the left side over the axle pipe as it would hit the body or the KB box steel PB brace. (It was one or the other, depending on how I re-adjusted the pipe to muffler connection)

Then just last weekend I was looking at the muffler hanger rods, and it seemed the L/Side rear inner muffler hanger rod was actually bent inwards at the top by 1.5" or so. I loosened both front and rear OTA pipe clamps and used a 28" crows foot bar to pry back the top of the hanger rod to a straight position. I found the new position of the muffler and inlet pipe allowed me to rotate the OTA pipe that gave me much better body to pipe clearance. Next I fabricated a 1/4" mild steel PB brace body bracket/spacer and installed for better clearance on the bottom of the pipe, and it totally eliminated that occasional bang/ knock sound over bumps and dips in the road.

It's like a new ride! Justin, thanks for posting as I can attest to this fix as it has really made the Boss enjoyable to ride over those occasional bumps and especially those dips in the road. Plus, the tips are now perfectly balanced.

2HP

pufferfish said:
Funny thing is JPC and Lethal OAPs are made by the same company. You may have gotten the original design. Don't know what the differences are, but they went to "gen 2" for a reason;)

I am working a deal to sell this company's products. I just got one of their OAPs (from lethal) and it looks like a quality piece. After I test, I feel I may end up working with them to offer a pipe set with resonators for those of us who don't love drone and super loud exhaust, but still want performance benefits of eliminating all those terrible kinks!

That would be great. I've been thinking of installing either the Lethal or Borla OAPs, and then having a shop weld in Dynomax "Race Bullet" straigh-through mufflers as resonators.

TMO Supporting Vendors