Let's bring a new wheel to market: BBS FI-R

Discussion in 'TMO General Discussion Forum' started by 5.2 liters of democracy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 5.2 liters of democracy

5.2 liters of democracy TMO Intermediate

So let me jump right into it. I went to the OC Festival of Speed this last weekend and had the opportunity to talk to BBS about the FI-R wheels. I was previously unfamiliar with these, probably because they are currently exclusive to Lamborghini, Audi, BMW, and Porsche. The development of these wheels is fascinating in itself and I'd recommend researching it. Here's some images of this gorgeous set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After speaking with BBS about fitments, they are willing to fit these to our cars with 10 orders so I am trying to gauge interest as I would love to grab a set of these. These wheels lose no structural rigidity in their design over the track-proven FI wheels despite the weight savings. To provide an idea of what the weight would be, a 19x11.5 in Porsche fitment is 19.85 lbs. I'll start a list below of interested members. I've committed to this so we will need just nine more interested buyers. The price is $2050 per wheel, but is well worth it after having seen and interacted with them in person.

1. 5.2 liters of democracy

This is not meant to be an advertisement for BBS whatsoever, but just the potential to fit our cars with a proven forged wheel. I also posted this over on 6g, but I think more of the audience that would be interested in this wheel would reside here. I'm happy to forward any questions to BBS and provide answers here. Additionally, it may be possible to go to BBS with our desired fitment in case a square setup is more desired. The initial specs I provided were R-spec.

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I’m very familiar with these wheels and have seen them in person. They are awesome! GMG in Orange County sells a lot of them to their GT3 customers. These are the pinnacle of forged AL wheels. I think this might be a tough sell at over $8k a set but wish you luck in getting at least 10 commitments to get these built. You really have to see them in person to appreciate how cool looking they are.

Here’s the photo I keep on my phone. LOL

9AD7CEA4-84A8-43BF-B4D6-4066B417F39F.png

3. VoodooBoss

FWIW I know of a guy that talked to BBS about doing the same deal with the GT3 Cup wheel. When the GT350 first came out there were few quality options that would fit over the front brakes. The Cup wheel is very similar in looks and weight but a lot more affordable.

4. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Have to agree with the pricing concern, since a lot of us are Track Rats and with the quality wheel Sponsor , Apex, so active on this Forum , my first reaction is I could have a couple set of Apex rims ( which I will have soon, since my second set was shipped and could be here today) and a couple sets of Hoosier R7s and still not have spent as much as one set of BBSs rims.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    steeda5, HRLNKN, TymeSlayer and 2 others like this.
  5. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

I can buy a full set of 11" that weigh 21.5-22 lbs for less than the price of one of these wheels. For me it just doesn't make sense, hell, we're not even running for trophies, just shits and giggles. If money were no object though.....

6. 5.2 liters of democracy

I think what will end up happening is I will put some Forgelines on, but I did want to see what the interest would be in these wheels since a lot of high dollar forged wheel companies have wheels for us.

7. 5.2 liters of democracy

Correction. BC Forged just released a set of nearly identical to these at half the cost. Looks like we won't need this thread anymore.

8. VoodooBoss

Got a link?

9. 5.2 liters of democracy

VoodooBoss and byronj like this.
  10. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

Are you sure they're not made from diamonds? 8200 ? o_O For wheels.

11. Nvrfinished

Nvrfinished TMO Advanced

The BC Forged wheels are nice and great quality for the money. I have the their RZ05 in a 19x11 for my S550 GT and chose their free weight saving Race Spec option. This option provided additional relief cuts to remove excess material and a center bore that is cut all the way through the wheel to reduce material. You won't be able to use center caps, but you shouldn't for the track anyways. You can also opt to have the wheel bead knurled at no additional charge as well.

My wheels were weighed by the vendor I purchased them from at just over 21.5 lbs.

https://www.bcforged-na.com/monoblock/rz05/

VoodooBoss likes this.
  12. VoodooBoss

Nice.

@steeda5 the CF wheels on the GT350R are about $2k more per set. :eek:

13. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

Good gravy man. Sorry I just had a im getting old moment here. By bad.

14. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow Mike

HR692 likes this.
  15. yotah1

yotah1 TMO Race

I was looking at these for my car as I love their design but unfortunately Volk doesn't offer any offset even near the ET52 that the GT350 has in the rear. They have something that would fit the front (close enough to the OEM offset) but nothing for the rear. And I've tried to get in touch with them for months now, their official distributor in the US doesn't answer the phone or emails, the HQ in Japan is not helpful either... The only "opportunity"I had was to meet them at SEMA, but I'm not a professional and therefore can't go...

Bummer.

The_Dead_Cow likes this.
  16. VoodooBoss

Anyone can go to SEMA.

17. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Please don't leave us hanging.

18. BigTaco

BigTaco TMO Addict

If you want to go, you need to be “hosted” or invited by a member. The last day to attend on Friday is open to the public. That’s the easiest way to get in.

19. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

My second set of Apex rims just arrived at work a few minutes ago. Thanks to my loving wife and kudos to Santa Cory at Apex. Proper offset , nice and wide 18x11s , priced quite reasonable , tons of space between the caliper and barrel, and we got a discount by getting in on the late offer Apex put out JUST to members of this Forum! Am I biased and loyal to Apex --- uh, yeh, I like having my questions answered and getting personal service not offered by many Website based companies anymore. Nuff said....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    JeffV8 and TymeSlayer like this.
  20. zzj

zzj TMO Intermediate

Anthony was rocking the special ordered 19" TE37 for his GT350 before swapped 18" gs1r. They are 19*10.5 all around.
    I'm very close to a local JDM shop that the owner told me Volks would custom make any wheels for him with 5 sets of minimal order and he had done that several times consider they sell a lot of wheels from them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

yotah1, Apex3V and The_Dead_Cow like this.