The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats everyone working on? I'm sure people have to be doing some off season upgrades.
AJ what is (if exist?) The best way to measure downforce?
I mean I guess from the computer simulation and you can see the air flow on a wing, but I was wondering how you can determine how much downforce splitter or Hannah Hood extractor can generate. Maybe with some barometers? To see the pressure differential?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

This is a great thread. Up there with corner-carvers. Anyhow there was alot of talk about hood vents so you guys may be interested in www.racelouvers.com as we split some wind tunnel time with www.ajhartmanaero.com and developed some serious hood extractors, data is listed on our site along with tunnel videos for you data people.
Do you guys have comparison with trackspec please?

Heres the tunnel video of our stuff along with some of the competitions stuff:
And the data to go along with it: https://racelouvers.com/content/hood-extractor-wind-tunnel-data.pdf

Its interesting to see most of the common vents out there perform about the same as a hole in the hood, and that a 1" raised set of louvers only works slightly better. Our stuff is designed to flow alot of air thru the radiator, which can solve cooling issues or be combined with nose tape/grill blockers to significantly increase front downforce.

And the data to go along with it: https://racelouvers.com/content/hood-extractor-wind-tunnel-data.pdf

Its interesting to see most of the common vents out there perform about the same as a hole in the hood, and that a 1" raised set of louvers only works slightly better. Our stuff is designed to flow alot of air thru the radiator, which can solve cooling issues or be combined with nose tape/grill blockers to significantly increase front downforce.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do you guys have 2018 mustang hood set?

We generally dont make specific year make model extractors because most of the time the oe size or location is not optimal and compromises performance. The 2018 has those side vents which are an ok location, better to start with a center extractor. So if you want to snap a few pics of your hood with some measurements like distance between the two vents, width of the current vents etc we can find a size to work on your hood. email them to [email protected]

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
racelouvers.com DATA wind tunnel test testing.png

Excellent data/video... and thanks for sharing it. Goes to show how hard it is to get even 10 lbs. from any individual vent on the front end.

I'm surprised you'd characterize this as a 'very good' upgrade without any example numbers. I would think the numbers would be small even at 100 mph. Like under 10lbs/side.

That comment was about fender vents, which would produce significantly less downforce. This is why front end downforce is such a challenge. The effects are pennies and nickels compared to the dollars of rear wings.

Everyone should also pay attention to the front end taping numbers...

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Is there any data like this about the tiger racing hood?
I`m also curious what the best combination out of grille opening and radiator/oil coolers is.

As of now I run a pretty open grille and a tiger racing hood, which helped to cool the car a lot better. Water tops out at 235 at ~100F and usually stays around 210 on 60-80F days. I`m using a stock radiator and the oil cooler is not installed yet. As better components go into the car, closing up the grille starts to become an option.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Agreed, people should take note of stock cars and nose tape, to often do I see people over cooling cars with giant grill openings, almost every kind of car can tolerate some grill restriction, ours are designed to tolerate alot and produce good front downforce. Heres some data on how much nose tape is possible with ours and the competition: https://racelouvers.com/content/hood-extractor-grill-blocker-data.pdf

Agreed. Some of the Boss 302s did have had issues with even the stock openings, but once vented at the hood, I'm sure that this is one of the best options for increasing downforce. For those in doubt see the Vorshlag red car...

Badger, how far back does your splitter extend? I have a tiger hood as well--now that there's somewhere for airflow to go, I want to force as much of it up as possible. Think closing up the ford down under tray for oil filter access. That may be a little too far back for some rules though. I think "front axle" is the aft most limit to splitters in most cases.

TMO Supporting Vendors