The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Exactly. I'd just check the tape to make sure it stays and bring a roll of tape with you to the track just in case. Oils on the plastic can make sticking tough and need to be cleaned off with solvents to ensure good adhesion.

That's what the foam looked like to me. Either for window sealing, or 'backer rod' for caulking or window seals and such. Or the type for insulating pipes, but I thought most of those would be too big.

Thanks
What you mean with clean up? Like donig it better
The idea was to " level " the step btw the lip and the pp1 splitter and also cover all the holes the pp1 has (if you zoom you can see them) .
3c8d317d59eb50a796316481ea049aeb.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is a much better picture, and honestly, I’d just tape the holes and not worry about the step. I would definitely use countersink bolts, but outside that, you’re doing pretty good.

It would be good to level the step between, but I think you’d be better off making some sort of insert than you would taping it up.

You should notice a difference for sure. Nice work, man.

Thanks guys for the advice.

I originally had the countersick bolts with nut rivets. When i put the seal and start to tighten up the bolts all the nuts went boom. And popped out from the plastic bumber so I've decided to go bolt and nut. Ot is really really solid.
My concern now is
the lip is much more solid than before and if i apply pressure the lower part of the bumper flex(see pic).
I'll put rods soon.
I know rods to chassis will be better. But in the 18 is hard tomconnect them in the lower part so it should be in the front.
But Will standard plastic bumper rods enough?
bf407ab7ff4fd75281eaacf416c087d7.jpg0709592925568d87d2146235fb2f1432.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Grant 302

My opinion is still that it's fine. Cylindrical profiles like that tend to act like O-rings and seal pressure very well. Tapes will pull and stretch under deflection and lose adhesion while the foam should just expand and contract.

And aerodynamic pressures are only in the sub 1 psi range...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes we went the rigging route!! Could not find anything smaller in time...
They can hold several tons Lol

Last edited:

Grant 302

I gotta stay up with this thread more often. Some good info in the last few pages. Some totally wrong.

Great idea! Let's fix everything wrong about aero on the interwebs! I would start here...

I thought the direction that circulation bubbles rotate was obvious. I was wrong.
48015041412_3d3f8f8e70.jpg

Understand the difference between Adverse Pressure Gradient and Flow Separation. Don't use one to sound smarter than the rest of YouTube.
48014964883_769ce77710.jpg

And I'm not sure where to start with this one:
48015041257_1aa414e8b4.jpg

Now you have me wondering what I may have done wrong!!! o_O

Somehow, I don't think he's talking about your posts. ;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My wing is sitting in Miami waiting for its flight, looking forward to trying it out soon. Guess we will try it out at 0 degrees first and then progressivly log the results as we increase the angle... Need lots of track time to work things out! Yeeehaaa!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I Guess I need to lower my splitter.. Looking for options in foam etc... But it did not vibrate or rattle at 215km/hr (134 mph for the non-metric types). But think I need to add a little more angle...

IMG_8103-1024x683.jpg
Looks like the rebuild came out great!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel