The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Hoping. I'm going to figure out how to test that (wife's meat thermometer). Surely it will reduce lift and drag (good). If temp goes down, then we got all three.

Many low cost multimeters come with thermocouples. I think that would be much easier and more repeatable than trying to use any regular thermometer.

The truth is, nobody is 'very smart' on this stuff. None of it is truly intuitive.

Going back to page 3, to the quote above. AJ Foyt once said about aero at Indy "if I taped a beer can to my wing and ran a fast lap, next session everyone would have beer can taped to their wing" I remember that line because thats what we were doing at the time, just copying aero from fast cars.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Many low cost multimeters come with thermocouples. I think that would be much easier and more repeatable than trying to use any regular thermometer.

Going back to page 3, to the quote above. AJ Foyt once said about aero at Indy "if I taped a beer can to my wing and ran a fast lap, next session everyone would have beer can taped to their wing" I remember that line because thats what we were doing at the time, just copying aero from fast cars.
Monkey see monkey do is still alive and some of them have racecars.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

That's still happening. IIRC, back around '08 there was an F1 car that had an extra pair of horn shaped winglets on either side of the intake duct...started showing up on the competition shortly after.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Speaking of monkey see, monkey do, I may give that weather stripping thing a shot. :D Forcing air out through the top vents instead of the sides of the hood would probably increase downforce just a little bit and reduce hood shake since it's not jetting out the sides. Although if you're not venting enough air it would go out under the car, which is why we put big holes in the hood to begin with. I'd have to leave a little opening for my intake though.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Speaking of monkey see, monkey do, I may give that weather stripping thing a shot. :D Forcing air out through the top vents instead of the sides of the hood would probably increase downforce just a little bit and reduce hood shake since it's not jetting out the sides. Although if you're not venting enough air it would go out under the car, which is why we put big holes in the hood to begin with. I'd have to leave a little opening for my intake though.

I would just tape the hood shut first and see if it did anything before going thru the effort of weather strip

Grant 302

Water droplets help see streamlines and flow patterns. These are from yesterday @ ~80pmh.

Streamlines from vortex generators:
38136728806_b8b441bd68.jpg

Attached flow across top of LS spoiler:
24340033098_6a25ff6682.jpg

Streamlines on top of quarter panel:37482273714_204ca5bf57.jpg
Interesting that there's a stream that comes *up* the quarter panel to join the one already at the top:
26417187379_77eef93e1c.jpg

From testing a while back:
Old VG (4) streamlines:12263207896_4aa0c8fcf7.jpg

8677605046_f81f640fd8.jpg

'New' VG (6) streamlines:13040160025_0935acbddd.jpg

Normally, flow does not remain attached on the rear window/decklid except for the outer ~10" -12"
This is a stock '05-'09 S197:
38160712722_e1948d4484.jpg

Separates about halfway down rear window:
From Ford video:
13098722715_ab44d843b1.jpg

Grant 302

So far, I used them to test various arrangements of vortex generators, base and LS spoilers, stock rake vs. level. Also generally to see/understand the flow patterns around both cars. It's also easier than doing yarn tufts and video.

I'd use oil if not for the clean-up needed. The hard part about using water is that it's better in cool/humid conditions and more subject to lateral G's when the droplets get too big. Small droplets don't move with low flow.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Do you want the water to show that air is staying attached or detaching at specific points? I can see differences in the pattern, I'm just not sure if what makes one better than the other.

Grant 302

Mostly, I am looking for changes toward more attached flow. At the back window I am looking to fill the separation bubble, and kill the lift from from it that would be perpendicular/'normal' to the surface of the window. The lift from the downward attached flow is a much smaller vector, and this flow contributes to more downforce from the spoiler across it's full width and the angle change at the base of the rear window, instead of just the outer sides.

Grant 302

You guys are getting too scientific for me..good luck on your experiments...........
Nah. To engineer is human. And thanks, I could use a little luck keeping testing equipment taped on during testing :eek::D

Do you want the water to show that air is staying attached or detaching at specific points? I can see differences in the pattern, I'm just not sure if what makes one better than the other.

Conceptually, this is what I'm after/observed:
37491341684_a25fa186f8.jpg

Stock in red, flow separates and barely kicks up. For simplicity, the recirculating/stagnant areas not shown. I don't have pictures of it from the stock Boss or GT, but flow would separate about mid window on both cars. Low pressure on back of window and decklid are both summarized as drag and lift components. The base spoiler helps make this a recirculation zone, at least in theory.

Vortex generators added in green, pulls flow down energizing downward stream before it separates. Attached flow observed to base of rear window and on decklid. In theory, this action comes at a small drag (at the VGs) and lift penalty (from downward directed flow), but should net less lift and drag compared to stock. Then make the spoiler more effective for more downforce than just recirculation.

Laguna Seca Wing added in blue, benefits from redirected flow. Without the VGs, the wing mainly uses two large vortices that 'spill' over the sail panels (qtr. window area) that work with the wing on the outer sides of the wing supports. With the VGs, flow can be clearly seen as attached on the full width of the upper surface. So far I've measured dynamic pressures that 'match' car speed at centerline about 1/3 wing chord. I plan on testing more points, etc. as flow can be variable in the downstream vortices.

I found this CFD model on the internet recently:
37948284502_edb4004f2c_o.jpg
Helped me feel a bit more confident that I'm changing things in the right direction. Wish I could find the origin of the model.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel