The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Managed a wool tuft test on the splitter yesterday afternoon.
Side view so you can see that some of the tufts are raised:
26667436519_6ca65bce7f.jpg

Frame 1:
24592192438_380a42451e_z.jpg
Frame 2:
38463506091_da9efb88d8_z.jpg

Video scrolling roughly between the two frames, goes forward, backward then forward:

I am accelerating from a stop between Frame 1 and 2 in a 50 mph zone.
There are 8 tufts in the test:
1- near the center directly on the splitter and does nothing for all the video taken.
2- on the splitter near the front just inboard of the stanchion/rod
3- on the stanchion/rod
4- raised ~3/4"
5- raised ~1.5"
6- on the splitter
7- raised ~1"
8- on the splitter most outboard in this test

I'll post later on my interpretation of what's going on later and follow up with a similar post for the on-ramp to freeway run.

These annotations show what I think is happening on my spitter at ~60mph:
38437059826_e44dbfb972.jpg

Generally, there appears to be a high pressure stagnation area or slow recirculation (in blue judging by movement of tuft 4 and sometimes 6) in the center that breaks down to a outward vortex that 'bursts' into 'clean' attached flow (white 'rays' shown by tuft 8 and other droplet tests also #6 at higher speeds) near the outer side of the splitter before it rounds the front corner. Tests are showing that the area where there is forward flow on this splitter is relatively small and contained to the front/center where it quickly turns laterally toward horizontal as samples are taken further outboard. These two effects happen more inboard as speed increases, as shown by the 'scrolling' video clip. One can see how the tufts 'scoot' outward as I accelerate, and back inboard on deceleration (in other parts of video). Without going to the other video sections, at 80+ mph, most of the recirculation bubble is gone and all turns into attached/semi-turbulent (perhaps stream-wise vortex) flow in the areas roughly outside of the splitter rods (tufts 4-8 all flip to the top side like #8 but not stable).

From the tufts that are forced forward under the splitter, they often peek out like this:
37578492455_e24e59f0cd.jpg
...indicating that there is a vortex/recirculation bubble that follows the bottom of the leading edge of the splitter. Generally shown in dashed red (top photo), except where flow rolls under the bubble and toward the rear.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Would be interesting to play with AoA of splitter by messing with the length of the splitter stays.

Just for " fun"...

Grant 302

Yeah, hours and hours of *fun*! ;)

Might seem more like work at that point. In general, a lower leading edge should be better, regardless. With my limited testing equipment and lack of CFD abilities, I don't know that I could quantify relatively small changes without massive data collection.

I'm looking into how fences, vanes, endplates and other devices might help the splitter do its job 'better'. It appears to me that a lot of air that 'leaks' out laterally could be directed upward and/or accelerated underbody.

Grant 302

Agreed, but I like how Ford integrated aero elements in the front designs like the 350/R/GT4 parts that can be added/extended from the base design. More like F1 thinking without making things look too goofy.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You guys are getting too scientific for me..good luck on your experiments...........

So much for Bob the Science guy...

I won't pretend to understand this completely either but if you guys go faster with a beer can taped to your wing, I'll try a twelve pack.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
So much for Bob the Science guy...

I won't pretend to understand this completely either but if you guys go faster with a beer can taped to your wing, I'll try a twelve pack.

The problem is that it requires the beer cans to be full for max downforce. We all know that the cans would be empty before we even taped them to the wing.

Reminds me of driving around Daytona in my laydown kart, without gloves, trying to "feel" where the air was flowing to and from..lol.FWIW we have tons of metal tape hanging all over our cars blocking air entry points..details count.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh man, that 05-09 diffusor is winning.
I had a crack at that when it was first developed....unfortunately my fuel cell wouldn't allow the fitment. :(
20994346_10155636494473535_3784137279971645714_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wife told me to buy it and the splitter. Can't argue with the wife!

No, she really did. I'll add it to the list...
She got any sisters?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel