The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Brake Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As many of you know we began carrying G-LOC Brake Pads around June of last year. We try to stock a deep inventory. We also help out G-LOC and other dealers that get into delivery binds and drop ship to and for their Customers. G-LOC try's to build up inventory to ship from stock but due to demand (they support several Run-Off Teams) at this time of year it is impossible to stay ahead. Last year we focused on S550/GT350 pads as well as RS Focus. This year we have added S197 to the mix so our investment has deepened greatly. Our sales this year have already left total 2016 sales in the dust. We have been able to ship most from stock but we are entering the season where all the tracks are beginning to open. We also have several Customers ordering multiple sets at once. As we get deeper into the season please plan ahead, the lead times are fairly short if it is not on the shelf (about a week) but that is beginning to stretch into a week and a few days. Typically we can ship anywhere in 1-3 days. Other models are also beginning to take off. The RS Focus has been huge for us this month. We can have anything made.

All of our track pad compounds (R8-R18) are delivered PRE-BED. I believe we have one set of RS R8 compounds from last year that are not. We DO NOT pass that fee to our Customers. While we have access to most brands of Track Pads and still sell some you will not find them on our site. We believe in Chris and Danny at G-LOC and that is where our Loyalty is. They took a chance with us and support us 100%. It has worked out and we continually ask our Customers for feedback which as you know is always user dependent :) What one driver likes is not what the other driver will.

We provide extra's with our pads and as several Customers have learned we work very hard to keep them Satisfied. We understand that G-LOC's are not for everyone but they are an excellent value and work very well. There are other alternatives in the market, some are ok, some may be less expensive but we like supporting a smaller company run by two individuals dedicated to the sport that also supports the grassroots racer. If you have ever called G-LOC you more than likely spoken with the President directly. When you call us or email us, you are talking to me.

Let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Gab

Bullitthead
Tim, against the recommendation of people who know more than I do, I purchased and installed Hawk HP+ pads paired to DBA rotors. I cannot stand the dust - the noise isn't so bad, but the dust...

Anyhow, how do G-LOC R6's pads compare to HP+ pads in brake torque, dust, and noise? My car is an '08 Bullitt with the stock calipers, used for autocross with the very occasional trackday (2-3 events a year).

If you don't want brake dust after tracking or autoX you might as well just stay home. Any worthwhile performance pad will generate dust under severe use. Just wash it when your done playing

[QUOTE=" I purchased and installed Hawk HP+ pads paired to DBA rotors. I cannot stand the dust - the noise isn't so bad, but the dust...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have Hawk Performance Ceramics and DBA slotted 4000s and they may not be great for the track, they work for me and have no noise and little dust. They're not ideal but I'll improve my pads as I get more experience under my belt. I have another set of these that'll get me through this year and then i'll move it on up to the eastside next season. I show my car as well so I hate the dust too but I usually pull the wheels off to clean them and just deal with it. Can't wait to start spewing out some real brake dust!

Last edited:
Tim, against the recommendation of people who know more than I do, I purchased and installed Hawk HP+ pads paired to DBA rotors. I cannot stand the dust - the noise isn't so bad, but the dust...

Anyhow, how do G-LOC R6's pads compare to HP+ pads in brake torque, dust, and noise? My car is an '08 Bullitt with the stock calipers, used for autocross with the very occasional trackday (2-3 events a year).

How aggressive of a tire do you run?

Gab, any brake pad will dust, there is no such thing as a dust free pad. The difference is in the make up of the dust. Pads sold as dual purpose tend to be a compromise that usually does not work. Hawks tend to be very rotor aggressive which means the 'dust' has rotor in it, not just brake pad material.

If you only do 2-3 track events a year you should just swap on a set of pads for those events and run a GS-1 street pad or R6 the rest of the time. The GS-1 is low noise and low dust. G-LOC dust typically wipes off and does not attach itself to the finish even with the race compounds.

The R6 is not designed for roadcourse use. A majority of our Customers run the GS-1 and then a track compound, it saves wear on the more expensive track pad for daily driven, dual purpose vehicles. You can run the R6 on the street, it has an aggressive bite from cold to 1000F. The GS-1 will work up to around 800F, G-LOC doesn't recommend it for any type of track use but it does have a higher level of bite than a standard street pad.

There really is not an optimal dual purpose pad or in your case a 3 purpose pad. The compounding recipe is designed for the purpose. The levels of ingredients changes with increases in temperature range, this increases noise and dust. Anyone that claims differently is not telling the entire story. Something is compromised.

I run an R10 on the street but I also don't ever clean my wheels. For Mustangs we typically go to an R8 compound for autocross and it will handle some easy track work. If you are interested in trying the R6's let us know.

I'm curious if anyone has gone to the R18 from the 16's and is there a noticeable difference? Pad life shorter? I'm currently running R16's and love them but were always looking for something better.....Right?

I have R18's on my Brembo front 14 inch and they are awesome pads. 6 track days, and they still have more pad than backing plate. Pad = backing plate is my replacement time. No Brake fade, awesome modulation. And I brake hard and trail brake very well, so I have been told by a pro who rode with me for fun at Buttonwillow. And at Fontana, these pads were flawless going from 145 to 60 MPH through the whole 30 minute session.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
What G-LOC pad would be comparable / better and a cross into the ST-40 StopTech SR34 Pads?
I pretty much only run 305 Pirelli slicks square on my GT500 and headed for 315s on a dedicated track car including full Cortex suspension and FR ABS. I'd be looking for more bite and of course more woah.

What G-LOC pad would be comparable / better and a cross into the ST-40 StopTech SR34 Pads?
I pretty much only run 305 Pirelli slicks square on my GT500 and headed for 315s on a dedicated track car including full Cortex suspension and FR ABS. I'd be looking for more bite and of course more woah.
R18 fronts/R12 rears. That was easy. Are you running the 13/14 GT500 Brake System?

Tim, I've been out of the track scene for 1.5 years now. I started seeing G-LOC pads at the end of my last track season and remember reading that G-LOC was founded by previous carbotech guys. Any info if compounds were improved from carbotech, or are they similar?
I ran XP-24/12s, what would you recommend if I were to jump to G-LOCs?

Tim, I've been out of the track scene for 1.5 years now. I started seeing G-LOC pads at the end of my last track season and remember reading that G-LOC was founded by previous carbotech guys. Any info if compounds were improved from carbotech, or are they similar?
I ran XP-24/12s, what would you recommend if I were to jump to G-LOCs?
R18/R12 would be similar/same to what you were using.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Hey Tim, I need new pads since I cooked the OE pads at my last track day (pre-brake ducts) and like what I see from G-Loc so I was hoping to get some advice on pad choice.
My Boss is basically stock but I will have brake ducts and most likely square 100TW tires for the foreseeable future. Not planning to do much suspension work or go to slicks anytime soon.
I'll hopefully be doing around 10 HPDE days this year and I don't daily the Boss, but I do drive to the track and go for hard drives in the mountains once or twice a week, where I mostly use engine braking and just quick brushes of the brakes to settle the car and scrub off a few mph.
Ideally I would prefer to not swap pads between the track and street since I don't daily the Boss and don't really care about noise or brake dust, but would consider it if that would be a poor compromise.
I picked up a set of R8s for the rear already since I found them for a steal, and thought they would be fine for both street and track on the rear, and good for keeping brake bias frontward for the track (but correct me if I am wrong).
For the front I'm leaning towards the R12s, but would appreciate your input as to whether the R10 might be a better compromise without swapping (I read that you run the R10 for both street and track), or if I should just bite the bullet and go big (R16/18) for the track and swap to R6/8 or GS-1 for the street.
Thank you for your time and your input!

TMO Supporting Vendors