The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's talk canopies...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
What brand do you guys trust and why did you select the one that you bought? Did it require weights?

I'm primarily interested in what you do if it begins to rain? Is yours rated for rain and etc...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I've not bought a high-end one yet. Last time I was at VIR the wind was so strong it literally crushed the "scissor" frame on the side of the 10x10 canopy. It bent in half. In hind sight I should have taken it down or at least not left the sides of the canvas down (you know how it has a 10 or 12" canvas border around the edges of an EZ-UP). Right now I'm using the Coleman 13x13. I think the vented top and the sides that don't have a border make it more aero-dynamic. It worked well at the beach a few weeks ago and it was quite windy.

The good news of this story is that the fact that the EZ-Up canopy frame bent before it blew away means that my anchor system rocks. 🤣. For that I use a 2-gallon paint bucket with a sealed lid on all 4 corners filled with play sand. It works out that 2 gal = about 25lbs. So a couple of 50lb bags of play sand and the buckets (I got a 10-back from Amazon) were significantly cheaper than the purpose-made canopy weights you buy from the sporting goods stores. When I go to the beach, I bring the empty buckets to fill there. I suppose at the track you could fill them with water there. That would be about 25 lbs each too.

GA
Awesome replies, I actually saw the Coleman 10x10 but may consider the 13x13. Here's the real kicker, the space.... do you guys trailer? How about being able to do this with just one person? Any success?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I'm a big fan of Z-Shade canopies:
Built in the USA and virtually all parts are available individually for replacement when needed, including the canvas when it's had too much sun. I've had a boltless frame canopy for years and love it!, I had it get blown over and partially collapse, thought the frame was toast but, all the attach points and pivots are plastic pins and a few of them sheared before the frame tweaked. Replacement pins were about 0.50 ea (cost more for shipping than product!). Snapped a couple in place... all good!

Last edited:
not necessarily a one person job. Can be done, but definitely easier with two people.
Strategy is involved..I Was putting up a 12 X 24 enclosed tent in the back yard by myself after a year of getting the hang of it.....one yr I forgot the straps that secure the roof to the main frame and low and behold we had a thunder storm that nite with heavy rain that collapsed and bent everything......The rain didn't run off it just collected and the weight did the rest...never had a problem with wind tho...I guess it was anchored down well..............

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVPD6BQ/?tag=tmo302-20

I bought 2 of these 10x20's and they work awesome. It rained this weekend at Laguna Seca and no leaks.
I've had wind gusts blow my canopies over the top of my trailer and onto a neighboring car so I always use weights now. In my experience these get beat up more from packing/unpacking them in the trailer than during actual use so I don't spend a great deal on expensive units. I just get a new one when an old one gets too shabby and these are cheap enough to use and toss as necessary. I've had these 2 since 2016 and they are still going strong.

175582690_10159357510298535_3797330314052490962_n.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
Awesome replies, I actually saw the Coleman 10x10 but may consider the 13x13. Here's the real kicker, the space.... do you guys trailer? How about being able to do this with just one person? Any success?
I have the Coleman 13x13 and I can put it up by myself without too much struggling. I trailer my car...
Taking the shelter to CMP this weekend. First day this season where I'll be trying to avoid the sun rather than getting in the sun to stay warm. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel