The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Horsepower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Were these lithium Brailles or AGM Brailles?

Took it to the dealer as in....Braille dealer? Or ford dealer?

Also, dumb question.... but wouldn't a hot engine be easier to crank over than a cold one? I take it the battery might not work as well if it gets too hot, but I'm confused by a no crank only when hot symptom....
In my case the AGM ones.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Were these lithium Brailles or AGM Brailles?

Took it to the dealer as in....Braille dealer? Or ford dealer?

Also, dumb question.... but wouldn't a hot engine be easier to crank over than a cold one? I take it the battery might not work as well if it gets too hot, but I'm confused by a no crank only when hot symptom....
AGM Braille, had it tested at a friend's shop, he said it was not great compared to a run of the mill car battery. Took it to the Braille dealer who said it tested within spec. This battery was brand new at the time.

I think that it chokes hot when one piston is well up into compression, and that's likely most of the time. Just not enough amps to get it through that initial compression. Cold might be worse, but since I never run the car in the winter I have no idea. Given what Braille said it could do I would have to say their advertising is a little on the optimistic side.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Yes, that would be for a "plug and play" set of fully assembled, ported, polished, big cams, and installation cost. It could be less, but I digress.

For the time being, I'm really not interested in a coyote swap. I like keeping the 3v DNA of the car, and based off how well the rest of the car is set up and my driving abilities, I am quite certain an extra 60-80whp is all I will need to put coyote S197's behind my bumper 🤠

Yup, I have read this as well, hence the K-member I have on order is cortex, spoke with Filip at length about it and he said it is stiffer than stock.

In regards to plateau, I had an opportunity to let a pro drive my car once, who was familiar with S197, and I was going to do it, but at the last minute, I got nervous that he would crash the car....Definitely have some regrets on that one.

Funny, Im on the fence about the swap as well. I don't want to spend the money, but I do want some extra power (been scouring this board for header/tuning threads). I also have VERY low miles so believe I have TONS of life let in this motor, why not build up vs starting over in a motor with more miles.... Hadn't heard bout the K-member variations but that is a huge price jump.

We have a guy who is faster / more experienced than I, always runs up front time wise in AutoX events (with an older BMW over Miatas etc), but he also spends a lot of time on full course racing as well. AM, but faster than I and far more rounded experience. He took my car out for a couple laps, it was great to for someone else give feedback as no one has driven my car other than me since I've started modding it. It was great to validate what I had been thinking and give ideas and help with if I'm on the right path or not. There was certainly a trust issue with asking someone else to take you car towards the edge (there were a couple spots that the wall looked a lot larger/closer from the passenger side). It takes a lot of trust, let him know next time, surely he will be mindful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SE Virginia
In some extreme cases heat can cause a starter solenoid to seize.. Big block chevys were famous for this. Park for 5 minutes and the starter won’t crank. Wait until the engine compartment and starter cool and they crank right over.
I've seen this with small-block engines, too. ...With a pickup truck and a Corvette.
In the case of the truck that wouldn't start, someone crawled under it and put a wet rag over the starter. After about 5 minutes it was cool enough to start again. I can see why you might not have room for that in a lot of other vehicles.

There was one summer when I went to an autocross in Alabama and a Corvette owner ended up taking turns with my Evo because our cars were both B-Stock and my car would start. 😅
(His starter problem wasn't funny, but it was fun to see that he was faster in my sedan than his Corvette. 😄)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
FunkSoul Jon,
If you are talking about Bob Tunnell you should not hesitate to let him drive your car or evaluate you any time. He is a Multiple Time National Champion, has done well racing too, as you note, and he often does Tutorials on the SCCA Website. The dude is goooooood, and in fact I use him as my benchmark in the Master's Class to see if I am really going fast for an old fart! Got him at Nationals this year, on PAX, and that is like a win to me as he has been a force for Decades! He and his wife are true humanitarians to, as they went over to Afghanistan numerous times to help with education, basic needs and assistance for women and girls there.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors