The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's talk trailers...anyone with a custom ATC/inTech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Murrells Inlet, SC
After years of using your typical steel/plywood trailers that come empty, I'm finally in a position to build a custom-spec'd trailer exactly to my needs. I spend about 30+ days a year at the race track (most of which I'm double-duty instructing), so I'm really focused on making my life easier, the trip safer for the car and its arsenal of tires/fuel/parts, and more comfortable in-between sessions.

I'm just starting a build process and would love to hear from those with experience...what are your must-haves, regrets, and would add on next time?

Currently, I'm looking at a 28ft tag with cabinets up front, gen box on tongue, storage for fuel in front cabinets, airline track on road side to secure tire stacks, couch on curb side with overhead cabinets, AC prep, insulated, and a couple other pieces.

Hit me with what ya' got (or friends)!

Some inspiration I've been using:

View attachment 68292
View attachment 68293
View attachment 68294
View attachment 68295
View attachment 68296
View attachment 68297View attachment 68298
I have an ATC 24' box 6' tongue. Extra height, driver's side door. I carry 3 spare tires. Insulated with electrical package.

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
honeybadger,
No. I drive it in. Try climbing into a Ford GT or GT40 ( with the ridiculous doors) to back it out of a trailer after winching it in. .

I open the door and butt my EZ Up tent up to it and it effectively extends the coverage another 6' or so.

Ron

20210806_130531.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have a humble Discovery trailer ( steel ) and my son is in the same process looking at building an ATC trailer --- well made and less weight.
Now , trailer tires, there is an area I have some expertise, only because the dang things do blow out and often it is because even good companies cut corners on trailer tires. The load range is so critical and most do not have enough weight capacity for all the race junk we all tend to load up our trailers with. Many are load range C, and friends in the Tire Business suggest at least a Load Range D for most 22-28 ft. long trailers and a load range E is the way to go. I have load range Ds on my trailer, and they are 5 years old and I agree with TMS suggestion as a new set will be ordered in Load Range E this Winter --- likely Carlisle Trails.
Just another thing to ask when ordering your trailer.

TX
I have a humble Discovery trailer ( steel ) and my son is in the same process looking at building an ATC trailer --- well made and less weight.
Now , trailer tires, there is an area I have some expertise, only because the dang things do blow out and often it is because even good companies cut corners on trailer tires. The load range is so critical and most do not have enough weight capacity for all the race junk we all tend to load up our trailers with. Many are load range C, and friends in the Tire Business suggest at least a Load Range D for most 22-28 ft. long trailers and a load range E is the way to go. I have load range Ds on my trailer, and they are 5 years old and I agree with TMS suggestion as a new set will be ordered in Load Range E this Winter --- likely Carlisle Trails.
Just another thing to ask when ordering your trailer.
This is good advice. Did the same thing on my current trailer. I tried the local Discount Tire in house brand (Heartland?) when refreshing the OEM tires (higher load range D), had one fail in less than 1000 miles after 18K on the originals and then another within another couple thousand.

Just upgraded to the GY Endurance tires and there's a marketable difference between them - the GY tires have a much more robust sidewall (less flex in tight turns) and the tread looks less like a re-tread on a semi truck tire (not sure how else to describe it).

Been happy so far with them.

TX
I have an ATC 24' box 6' tongue. Extra height, driver's side door. I carry 3 spare tires. Insulated with electrical package.
Nice! DO you use the tongue for storage?

How do you take tires to the track?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Murrells Inlet, SC
Nice! DO you use the tongue for storage?

How do you take tires to the track?
I do not use the tongue for storage, it's extra length to better clear the motorhome when towing. I built a tire rack with wheels, but have resolved to strapping the trailer spares to the front wall side wall and stacking the race tires. I also have cabinets across the front top and bottom.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NJ
If you want an ATC for next summer, you better order it now. When I bought my ATC 22 in March, I was told they were 7
months out on custom orders. I called All Pro in Carlisle early March on a monday and they had 3 20-footers and 1 22 footer
in stock. When I called back on wednesday to buy a 20 foot v-nose, all they had left was the 22 so I grabbed it.

The big escape door is phenominal for old/fat guys like myself. The spread axle tows like a dream compared to my
US Cargo steel 24 footer. It also allows you to put the car further back in the trailer than my old trailer - my mustangs
are generally about 12-18 inches from the back door as opposed to 3-4 feet in the old 24. I painted the floor with the rustoleum
epoxy but added an anti-slip from amazon, floor has the texture of sandpaper, I added some hand built bottom cabinets
in the front and some extra lights. I also added a couple of small LED lights on the bottom of the walls in front of and
behind where the tires go - easier to see tying the straps down.

Only other thing I'm toying with doing, if I can find some that will work, would be to recess driveway lights in the floor
where the rear axle is so I can see tying down the back in the dark.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel