The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's talk trailers...anyone with a custom ATC/inTech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
After years of using your typical steel/plywood trailers that come empty, I'm finally in a position to build a custom-spec'd trailer exactly to my needs. I spend about 30+ days a year at the race track (most of which I'm double-duty instructing), so I'm really focused on making my life easier, the trip safer for the car and its arsenal of tires/fuel/parts, and more comfortable in-between sessions.

I'm just starting a build process and would love to hear from those with experience...what are your must-haves, regrets, and would add on next time?

Currently, I'm looking at a 28ft tag with cabinets up front, gen box on tongue, storage for fuel in front cabinets, airline track on road side to secure tire stacks, couch on curb side with overhead cabinets, AC prep, insulated, and a couple other pieces.

Hit me with what ya' got (or friends)!

Some inspiration I've been using:

01-jpg.jpg
07-jpg.jpg
08-jpg.jpg
11-jpg.jpg
12-jpg.jpg
15-jpg.jpg20-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I bought an ATC 305 28". Nice unit. I have added "L" track at counter height, both sides, for securing tools and such. Forward of the wheel wells I also added "L" track on the walls at the floor. This allows me the luxury of securing just about anything short of the vehicle to the walls. On the left side I installed in floor "L" track to secure tool boxes, tires, etc.. I finished my L track fetish with a coat rack made from a 48" pieces of tapered track with end caps. A/C w/heat pump is going on next month. I added 4 small LED recessed lights under the cabinets controlled by a dimmer switch. Under counter was always in shadows from standing in front of main lighting. I picked up stackable hinged top bins for the cabinets. Easy access to just about everything tools and parts wise.

Regrets...you can always go bigger.

TX
I bought an ATC 305 28". Nice unit. I have added "L" track at counter height, both sides, for securing tools and such. Forward of the wheel wells I also added "L" track on the walls at the floor. This allows me the luxury of securing just about anything short of the vehicle to the walls. On the left side I installed in floor "L" track to secure tool boxes, tires, etc.. I finished my L track fetish with a coat rack made from a 48" pieces of tapered track with end caps. A/C w/heat pump is going on next month. I added 4 small LED recessed lights under the cabinets controlled by a dimmer switch. Under counter was always in shadows from standing in front of main lighting. I picked up stackable hinged top bins for the cabinets. Easy access to just about everything tools and parts wise.

Regrets...you can always go bigger.

Ahh, the under cabinet lighting is a good idea!

How much room would you say is between the front of your car and the cabinet on the road side? Think there's enough room to stack two sets of tires (4) high against the wall? I haven't gotten the dimensions yet to verify for myself.

Ok. Understood.

I have an 24' ATC Quest 400. In order to stack tires against the driver's side wall, they would have to be in front of the car. When the car is loaded, there is only 12 inches or so between it and the walls of the trailer. I have tire racks mounted on the driver and passenger side walls in front of the car. They are mounted at the top of each wall. Each rack will hold 4 or 5 tires depending on width. I also have room to stack tires in front of the car if needed and secure them using floor mounted L-track. I have stacked at least three sets in front of the car (unmounted) in this manner and two sets mounted. I typically have fuel cans strapped down below the driver's side tire rack to floor mounted D-rings with a ratchet strap though the handles.

I think the biggest issue you will have with vertically stacking tires against the wall is figuring out how to run ratchet straps to properly secure them. When I stack them on the floor in front of the car, I use ratchet straps across the top of the stacks in a "X" / cross pattern. I then run another strap around the circumference of the stacks and tighten it down. The strap around the circumference keeps the cross straps from moving or shifting.

TX
Ok. Understood.

I have an 24' ATC Quest 400. In order to stack tires against the driver's side wall, they would have to be in front of the car. When the car is loaded, there is only 12 inches or so between it and the walls of the trailer. I have tire racks mounted on the driver and passenger side walls in front of the car. They are mounted at the top of each wall. Each rack will hold 4 or 5 tires depending on width. I also have room to stack tires in front of the car if needed and secure them using floor mounted L-track. I have stacked at least three sets in front of the car (unmounted) in this manner and two sets mounted. I typically have fuel cans strapped down below the driver's side tire rack to floor mounted D-rings with a ratchet strap though the handles.

I think the biggest issue you will have with vertically stacking tires against the wall is figuring out how to run ratchet straps to properly secure them. When I stack them on the floor in front of the car, I use ratchet straps across the top of the stacks in a "X" / cross pattern. I then run another strap around the circumference of the stacks and tighten it down. The strap around the circumference keeps the cross straps from moving or shifting.

How have the tire racks been for you? Car clear okay? Bonk your head on them at all? Plenty stable? I've been worried about wall mount due to tires falling on the cars. As for securing them against the road side wall in front of the car, I was thinking of using something like these and then strapping to airline track around counter height.

1631655440216.png
1631655454239.png

TX
Added inspiration photos to the first post.

As a side note, anyone have experience with the following:

1. Using nitrogen for tires/nitrogen bottle
  2. In floor storage (can spec custom in floor storage compartments - right now I am just thinking spare tires
  3. Above wheel well storage - specifically those large cabines that are only 6in deep (what are you using storing in those)

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There is plenty of room to place two stacks of tires between the car and counter on the drivers side. With the “L” track in the floor, 8’ section recessed I can secure each set easily. The “l” track adds flexibility.

TX
There is plenty of room to place two stacks of tires between the car and counter on the drivers side. With the “L” track in the floor, 8’ section recessed I can secure each set easily. The “l” track adds flexibility.
Ahh perfect. Do have the L bottom cabinets that stick out 4ft from the front too?

If you use something like you have pictured above, you can put two stacks on the drivers side wall in front of the car. With a 24’ trailer, you might not be able to open the lower cabinet door on the drivers side with the tires in place.

In my trailer, the racks stop a couple of feet from the car's windshield. They are secured / bolted into the wall studs and are very secure. You can order wall mounted tire racks installed at the factory. You do need to be cognizant of them to keep from hitting your head if you have to pick something up off the floor beneath them. I also need to make sure the tires are securely strapped to the rack. I have PitPal racks installed.

In the end, it’s a trade off. Wall mounted racks will probably cost more, but you gain floor space for other cargo if needed.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
One of the guys in my region has a trailer with a big side door like this -
1631692038059.png

Not only does it make getting in/out of the car much easier, you can throw a couch in there and it's party central.

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
View attachment 68300

Not only does it make getting in/out of the car much easier, you can throw a couch in there and it's party central.
I have this same (ATC) trailer . The large side door is a GIANT benefit. The fender lifts out and there is a step between the tires . This allows the driver's door to open fully, makes it very easy to get to the straps to tie the car down, provides shade and shelter from the rain . Game changer IMHO.
Ron

I have the large side door on my ATC too and love it. It's very easy to get in and out of the car. Even without A/C, there is great airflow through the trailer with the doors open and the ramp down. It makes the trailer a great place to hand out in between secessions.

I have the in-floor spare tire compartment. What you will probably find is that if you need the spare, you will likely have to roll the car back towards the rear of the trailer to open the compartment. Usually when my car is loaded the front splitter overhangs the compartment opening by a few inches. I now have a wall mounted spare by the rear ramp in addition to the one in the floor.

I would recommend two spares. One in the floor and one wall mounted at the rear. On my last trip out to Road America, I had two blowouts. Fortunately, one happened on the way out and the other on the way back. I replaced the first blowout while I was attending the track event.

My trailer is a bumper pull. If I had it to over again, I would order a goose neck trailer. They are easier to maneuver, you do not have to worry about tongue weight as much, you can get a longer interior space vs overall lenght behind the tow vehicle, and additional overhead storage which is great for bins containing spare parts and other bulky items.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Need two spares??? We were doing a give away for charity in Tupelo last year. On the way up the right rear blew...spectacularly. Tread flew off in one piece and the casing exploded. Had "A" spare. That night We went to the hotel and the next morning second tire same size has a huge bulge in the sidewall. It was 3 miles to the event where I jacked up the trailer and took the bad wheels and tires to goodyear.
Trailer tires have a different life expectancy than auto tires. 5-7 years is about all you can depend on.

My tires were only three years old with a lot of tread left. My personal opinion is to replace the OEM chinese sourced tires by the third year of use. I know a lot of other people who have had multiple blowouts on Chinese trailer tires when they are only a few years old.

Unfortunately, most trailer tires are made in China and are known for early blowouts. And as described above, when they blowout they tend to damage your trailer in the process. My driver's side step got ripped off the trailer and the welds on my removable fender were damaged. On another friends ATC, a blowout ripped the welded in fender skirt reinforcement off the passenger side.

The only U.S. made trailer tire is the Goodyear Endurance - and it has been on back order most of this year. They are also expensive at approximately $150 each before mounting, which is still cheaper than having your trailer repaired...

Last edited:
TX
View attachment 68300

I'm pretty torn on this. I winch the car in, so I really only need to slide in to back it out. Given the cost and loss of wall space (for both cabinets and maybe a couch attached to the wall, I've been hesitant). The social aspect I hadn't thought of. That's an interesting point.

I have this same (ATC) trailer . The large side door is a GIANT benefit. The fender lifts out and there is a step between the tires . This allows the driver's door to open fully, makes it very easy to get to the straps to tie the car down, provides shade and shelter from the rain . Game changer IMHO.
Ron

Ron - do you winch your car in?

I have the large side door on my ATC too and love it. It's very easy to get in and out of the car. Even without A/C, there is great airflow through the trailer with the doors open and the ramp down. It makes the trailer a great place to hand out in between secessions.

I have the in-floor spare tire compartment. What you will probably find is that if you need the spare, you will likely have to roll the car back towards the rear of the trailer to open the compartment. Usually when my car is loaded the front splitter overhangs the compartment opening by a few inches. I now have a wall mounted spare by the rear ramp in addition to the one in the floor.

I would recommend two spares. One in the floor and one wall mounted at the rear. On my last trip out to Road America, I had two blowouts. Fortunately, one happened on the way out and the other on the way back. I replaced the first blowout while I was attending the track event.

My trailer is a bumper pull. If I had it to over again, I would order a goose neck trailer. They are easier to maneuver, you do not have to worry about tongue weight as much, you can get a longer interior space vs overall lenght behind the tow vehicle, and additional overhead storage which is great for bins containing spare parts and other bulky items.
Definitely two spares. I've learned the same lesson. I had a cracked wheel that needed to be refilled after about 8 hours. Pulled it off and replaced with spare. Then another tire went boom. That was a fun trip.

Regarding bumper pull, if I didn't have plans to tow behind an RV I would 100% be going GN.

TMO Supporting Vendors