The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Life cycle on stainless steel brake lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there a life or duty cycle on stainless steel brake lines or is it simply an inspect item? I've run mine three years now and probably 6,000 track miles. They appear to be in excellent condition, but I wasn't sure if there was a recommended replacement interval on them.

Many vendors who sell them will tell you every year.

I consider it an inspection item. I have used SS lines on road and track for years and years. In fact, I am not sure if I have ever had one fail. But when they do, they usually fail all the way. No way to "check for a soft/hard hose" or look for weeping brake fluid. Usually FOD or a kink caused by careless routing will cause it to split open and then it stays open and then your brake pedal goes to the floor and then you crash in a spectacular fireball and then insurance goons look at the ashes of your car and wonder how that could have happened and then they don't pay and then you end-up homeless. Get rid of cable. I mean, just inspect them every time you have your wheels off and carry either the stock set or a backup set, just in case.

TMO Supporting Vendors