The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Light on dash flashing????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a question. Last night I installed my new AED programmer tune. The install went fine....completed etc. I went for a ride, everything was fine. This morning, when I went to the garage, I noticed a light flashing every 2 seconds or so in the tachometer circle. Its a picture of a car and a lock, all in red, and it flashes red for about .5 seconds every 2 seconds(about). It flashes constantly when no key is in the ignition but when I start the car it goes away. Anybody know what the heck that is and why its flashing? Im really anal and things like this, and it will drive me nutz until I know what it is. Hopefully its nothing serious but I cant help but think that it would drain the battery over a long period of time with no use. Please, someone help ease my mind with this if possible. Thanks.

On to a different issue.... I tried to put in some octane booster but the gas fill wont let the bottle neck in through the filler hole, it has a block on it. Any Idea what to use to trigger it to open with anything other than the gas pumps filling nozzle? ??? I was able to put in a bottle of that Chevron Techron that cleans injectors etc without ant problems but it wont let the octane booster bottle in.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

The red flashing light is the passive security system that is always ON. It will drain your battery over time if you don't drive the car for long periods. That's why cars that are stored over the winter need a battery tender or the battery will be dead by spring. If you're driving at least every couple weeks or so you don't need a tender.

You have a white plastic funnel in the flat repair kit in your trunk that allows you to fill from a bottle, gas can, etc. With the "no cap" tanks there are two little tabs at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the tank fill opening that need to be pushed in to open the cover. The gas pump nozzles are the same diameter as the plastic funnel so they automatically depress those tabs.

LOL You're not the first one to have those questions including me on the red flashing light. The best question I've seen is how do you open the fuel door. ;)

cloud9 said:
The red flashing light is the passive security system that is always ON. It will drain your battery over time if you don't drive the car for long periods. That's why cars that are stored over the winter need a battery tender or the battery will be dead by spring. If you're driving at least every couple weeks or so you don't need a tender.

You have a white plastic funnel in the flat repair kit in your trunk that allows you to fill from a bottle, gas can, etc. With the "no cap" tanks there are two little tabs at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the tank fill opening that need to be pushed in to open the cover. The gas pump nozzles are the same diameter as the plastic funnel so they automatically depress those tabs.

Thanks Gary, that's a relief. I did finally end up feeling the tabs last night, That was of course after half a bottle of octane boost ended up on my exhaust and shoes :eek: I drive every 1-2 days so no worry there. Ok, now I can enjoy my lope idle and the rest of my weekend ;)

Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
Thanks Gary, that's a relief. I did finally end up feeling the tabs last night, That was of course after half a bottle of octane boost ended up on my exhaust and shoes :eek: I drive every 1-2 days so no worry there. Ok, now I can enjoy my lope idle and the rest of my weekend ;)

Dave
No problem I had the same questions when I first got the car too. :)

NFSBOSS said:
LOL You're not the first one to have those questions including me on the red flashing light. The best question I've seen is how do you open the fuel door. ;)

I looked for about 20 seconds for a trigger for the fuel door after noticing there was no lip to flip it open. Then my brain kicked in surprisingly fast and said "could it possibly be a push door" sure enough to my amazement it was. I even impressed myself figuring that one out. Then there being no gas cap, first instinct.... some MF'er stole my cap. Then the brain kicked in again and said "When all else fails READ jackazz". Again amazed at my brains efficiency in regards to lifes truly important dilemma's. Its almost like super human strength ???

Thanks Rick,
Dave

Mercedes had one where it used a solenoid to allow you to open the door 3 to 5 minutes after you shut the car off if you didn't lock the car. I had a friend that had the solenoid fail several times leaving her stranded unable to open the door to fuel up the car. She finally traded it in.

TMO Supporting Vendors