The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Light weight battery options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That one is much less expensive than the other Braille-branded ones I've seen before. And it's got much higher CCAs than the Odyssey PC680 I use, and SLIGHTLY lighter to boot.

Overall I've had good luck with the PC680. I got about 2 seasons out of my last one, I accidentally killed it by leaving the master power "ON" in the trailer all weekend. Typically the car sits on a battery tender whenever it is at home (99% of the time).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XEF3DM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also @captdistraction has a Battery Tender brand battery which weighs almost nothing, not sure how well it lasts as we've had to jump-start his car a few times (although we did discover a dead alternator after one of those times). I think it is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9LPKJ6?psc=1

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
+1 for Shorai - I've had a Shorai in my very sporadically ridden Yamaha R1 for 6 years now, never on a tender, has a parasitic draw (clock), always fires up. I eventually will put one in my Boss.

image_zpsjovni31y.jpeg
I've installed a Anti-gravity RS-20. It will fit the stock battery tray (with a little modification).

Parasitic draw allows me 2 weeks before I need to drive to recharge it. $60 cheaper at Newegg shipped direct from Anti-gravity

image_zpsjovni31y.jpeg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...617369&cm_re=RS-20-_-9SIA9Y85617369-_-Product

Steve

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Easily solved with my patented Specfab custom light weight battery mount :)

16999027_10155033495658535_6031439037874441699_n.jpg
17021499_10155035680883535_7840191804683281913_n.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I've had more success with the Battery Tender LI-PH 480 battery than mentioned above:

They're finicky batteries in that there's minimal reserve capacity. They're good for a half dozen attempts to start the car (and they start strong), however they'll drain down quickly if left on.That said, they're powerful for starting, and seem to be very stable when properly cared for and the wiring in the car is setup properly.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...lqIUTuJGQ7iIfJhJg&sig2=JYXMlZo1NpAnqy-VeAkOig

My car had two major issues that impacted the battery use: Loose connection to the starter solenoid made starting intermittent and difficult (even when jumped), and a slowly failing alternator did it in. I sent one battery back to battery tender, ordered a spare, and they sent a new one back to me. Since then I've had no issues, keep it on a tender, and hope to get great service life out of it. The support from the BT team was great.

Some of the above applies to all batteries. If you're having trouble starting the car/charging the battery, be sure everything looks good and is tight, apparently doesn't take much.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Wow thats light.... Can that work with the altenator ok??

That reminds me.... how long do the Boss alternators last? Am on my second and I have a third ready to put in since its starting to whine a little..... Is that about right for a tracked 2012??

TMO Supporting Vendors