The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Line locks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I haven't on the Boss yet but plan to use the Hurst Roll Control.

I have it on my '03 Mach1 with antilock brakes and it works great.

My Son put the SLP Line Loc on his '04 GT with antilock brakes and it was a little simplier to install.

But, it has a toggle on/off switch as the Hurst has a finger button to control it which I prefer.

Picture of the Mach1 installed Hurst Roll Control:

shifterstick0012qf0.jpg

I purchased a SLP line lock kit (part# M25005) for my Boss, but haven't installed it yet. I'll post after I do the install and try it out. I installed a line lock on my 2005 GT a few years back, which I setup to be activated with the cruise control off button. It was perfect. However, I won't be doing that on the Boss because the cruise control buttons already work with the launch control system. I may just use the toggle switch that comes with the kit, if I don't figure out a better way.

SoFlaBoss said:
I purchased a SLP line lock kit (part# M25005) for my Boss, but haven't installed it yet. I'll post after I do the install and try it out. I installed a line lock on my 2005 GT a few years back, which I setup to be activated with the cruise control off button. It was perfect. However, I won't be doing that on the Boss because the cruise control buttons already work with the launch control system. I may just use the toggle switch that comes with the kit, if I don't figure out a better way.
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes too.

Have you condsidered the Button from the Hurst Roll Control, it can be purchased separate.

If I do get the SLP that's what I want to try.

Preparing my Boss for the dragstrip is still a Work In Progress. Below are some photos of the work I did yesterday, including checking my new 15x10" Weld wheels for fit after installing the Steeda swaybar relocation brackets, and partial install of the SLP line lock kit. Not pictured is the Steeda shifter bracket that I also installed. FYI, I did some black spray paint the bare metal cuts that you see in swaybar relocation bracket photos, so it looks pretty now. I still need to get my M/Ts mounted and balanced, and finish the electrical part of the line locks. For the time being I'll probably just mount the toggle switch that's included in the kit inside the console. Not the best location, but it'll work.

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

Just FYI, the SLP line lock kit (part# M25005) by itself IS NOT compatible with our Advancetrac systems. You need to construct a jumper wire that includes a diode, then add the jumper wire so that it powers the brake pedal switch circuit whenever the line lock solenoid is activated, so that the system thinks someone is pressing the brake pedal. If you don't add the jumper wire, you will be very disappointed. JPC makes a line lock kit that includes the extra wiring with the diode, plus it costs less than the SLP kit.

I installed the JPC line lock kit. I also married an MSD two step launch controller to the same on /off switch located in the rear console just to simplify things. That way when not in use, you can cancel both systems. Both functions are activated together with the seperate launch control finger button which draws from the same on/off switch. For me the system works very well. When I roll in to pre-stage the car ( lite the top yellow bulb) Then I step on the brake, push the line lock button. Take my foot off of the brake pedal. Leave the car at idle and barely release the clutch a little until you feel the resistance and then let go of the line lock button and then quickly push it again and the car will move foward an inch or two at a time. You may have to work the switch a few times rapidly as the car moves in to lite the bottom staged bulb.Then I mat the throttle and the RPMS come up to my preset. Release the button and were off ,(or not ) LOL . If I am running (Drag Radials) I turn the RPM dials on the MSD controller which is mounted under the hood on the drivers side fender well to Zero. Reason being most likely you will spin the radials anywhere above 2500 rpm so you won't need it. It will take some practice, but you will find the sweet spot to keep the car from falling on it's face. On the other hand if you are running (SLICKS) you can preset the MSD any where you want within reason , and they should bite.. The main reason that I don't like FORDS launch control is because when you set the RPMS and mat it , it comes up to preset and the engine sits there and runs constantly at that high setting until you let the clutch out. With the two step, when it comes up to preset the cylinders alternetly fire so that it doesn't sit there screaming. But when the button is released along with the clutch , every thing happens in an instant. I hope that at least some of this might help.

@ daddyfixer - Thanks for sharing your line-lock and two-step setup and their use, as it will definitely benefit anyone considering a similar setup. 8)

I'll be happy just using my modified SLP line lock kit with TracKey and Launch Control with drag radials. I can't wait to make it to the track again, now that my Advancetrac issues are fixed. :) BTW, I activate my line lock using a handheld momentary switch that resides in the compartment of the center console when it's not in use. I also have a extra toggle switch in the engine compartment near the line lock solenoid that I turn off, so that the momentary switch will not operate when I'm not racing.

TMO Supporting Vendors