The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lo Buck Coil Overs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is my old Fox body but tit will apply to a lot of vehicles...

This car will be using the Granatelli front subframe (also known as a ”K” member and coil over shocks).

DSC_0132-1.jpg

The immediate issue is that most coil over systems are designed to work with the more expensive shocks….Koni, Bilstein..etc, but we’re low buck guys so we need to make these work with a set of….wait for it……Monroes.
The second issue is that the springs fit like crap, so, after looking at the options, I decided it was the spring that needed the help, so we “relieved” the area around the top of the spring.

DSC_0147.jpg

This pic shows the spring and how it was “relieved” to fit the adjuster.

DSC_0145.jpg

I had to work over both ends of the spring

DSC_0142.jpg

Now that the springs actually fit the shock tube, I had to make the shock tube fit the shocks..
This is why your coil over setup won’t work with lo buck shocks or struts , in this case, there is a small tab on the strut that the spring indexes on, most shocks it’s not there…

DSC_0149.jpg

and now it is..…a small tab was fabricated from scrap and welded to the strut, now, and this is important, you CANNOT weld it to the tube, it will damage the strut. It is actually welded to the strut brace. All the tab does is index the shock. So tacking it is sufficient.

DSC_0150.jpg

The finished product.

DSC_0293.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Had to laugh when you said Monroes! I ran an 89 Firebird Formula 350 to decent success Autocrossing at Divisionals, Nationals and a State Championship in F Stock and ..............................I set it up with a Flowmaster and a set of ..............Monroes. My lovely bride would not ride in the car as she said it was an instant hemorrhoid maker, ha! Nice work and I like your style.

TMO Supporting Vendors