The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Locking out of 4th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Did a track day two weeks ago and twice I got locked out of 4th on 3-4 upshifts. I felt it was probably rust on the driver since I hadn't driven the car in anger since last October.

But today I found it was not me but something with the trans or shifter. I can get 4th gear on a downshift from 5th on every attempt, but on 3-4 upshifts as often as not I get locked out and catch either 2nd or 6th. I can't even feel the gate for 4th when it does this. It does not do it for a few laps, so I am guessing heat has something to do with it. There are no weird noises or anything coming from the trans that I can detect, though that's difficult due to the general noise level a gutted car has and all the driveline noise from using solid bushings.

Does this sound like something stemming from the crappy stock shifter (which up until now I was able to live quite well with) or does it sound like something internal to the gearbox? Anyone ever experience anything like this and if so what was the fix? I need to get this fixed before next track day on July 10th.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Kind of ruling out shifter issues at the moment now since I called George at MGW this morning and ran it by him. He didn't think it sounded like a shifter problem to him, he felt it was more likely something internal in the gearbox. So when I want to buy a guy's product, and he tells me his product not likely going to fix it, then you gotta believe him! And I'll buy his product anyway.

So I'm figuring on seeing if Dasilva in Pickering can handle it shortly. He seems to be the go to guy around here for Mustang stuff, and I've had very good experience with them. Longer term a Calimer Stage 2 is likely going to be in the works but that's not going to be a quick thing either. Just real bad timing with the border being closed and every one of my local guys being full bore busy. My track days are on hold now until I can get this sorted, no way I'm going to risk a 2nd gear money shift blowing up a motor with this thing being so unpredictable right now.

Good news is I ran at 1:35 at Mosport using 4th and 5th gear only and with a passenger, slow as a dog up the back straight since 4th gear is way wrong for Turn 5 leading onto that straight, but a really promising time.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I called Ben Calimer and talked to him about this. Nice guy, very helpful.

He said the fact that it shifts OK for 3 or so laps and then starts acting up when it gets hot suggests to him that the clutch is possibly the problem and not the transmission. The stock clutch is organic and often will not release once it gets some heat. I have read many threads about problems with the stock clutches. He said that drag guys are far harder on transmissions than road course guys are and that's what he sees most of.

Strongly suggested switching to a ceramic clutch before I go buying a new trans, mentioned Exedy as a possible candidate. Also recommended separating the clutch reservoir from the brakes and a new slave cylinder.

I looked into T56 magnum kits, going to be about a $12K hit by the time I get it across the border and tax paid, so it might be wise to try a clutch first.

Anyone got any thoughts on this and/or recommendations for a ceramic clutch?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ben Calimer is a good guy. Happy with my last gear box from him and hope its going to last me a long time. Have to admit that I am a huge fan of the Spec 2+ clutches. They are cheap and very robust. upgraded now to a Spec 3+ but have not tried it out in anger yet. The 2+ still had life in it after three seasons!

I was saving up for a XL but a Stage 3 MT82 from Ben is, in hte end, much cheaper and less work (and lighter). Same driveshaft, Clutch etc. Just swap the tranny and your ready.

I called Ben Calimer and talked to him about this. Nice guy, very helpful.

He said the fact that it shifts OK for 3 or so laps and then starts acting up when it gets hot suggests to him that the clutch is possibly the problem and not the transmission. The stock clutch is organic and often will not release once it gets some heat. I have read many threads about problems with the stock clutches. He said that drag guys are far harder on transmissions than road course guys are and that's what he sees most of.

Strongly suggested switching to a ceramic clutch before I go buying a new trans, mentioned Exedy as a possible candidate. Also recommended separating the clutch reservoir from the brakes and a new slave cylinder.

I looked into T56 magnum kits, going to be about a $12K hit by the time I get it across the border and tax paid, so it might be wise to try a clutch first.

Anyone got any thoughts on this and/or recommendations for a ceramic clutch?

I think Mantic is the best one out there. I have a rebuilt twin disk i bought from mantic but never installed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel