The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Longevity of stock pads and rotors on track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys -

I've got a 2013 track pack GT with about 2000 miles and two track days on it. One at Laguna Seca, the other at Infineon with a third coming up on the 22nd. I'm currently running stock everything, except for stainless lines and RBF600 brake fluid. I run the car with the AdvanceTrac in sport mode and thus far have been pretty happy (although coil overs will come by years end).

Regardless, how long can I expect to get out of a set of stock pads on stock rotors, I checked them today and they looked fine - again, cars only got 2k on it. BTW, I generally in either intermediate or advanced depending on what groups has openings.

Thanks!

Mike

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The real question is how many laps will you get on stock pads before they fade out. My guess is 3, and then you'll need a cool-down. As far as how long they'll last, no clue. Never ran the stock pads on the track.

As mentioned - got 2 full days on them so far with some fade (I wasn't going nuts) and I'm wondering if I should stay with them (the performance is simply okay), OR go to a Hawk HP+ (although I can't stand the squeal). Thus far there loads of pad left.

Any suggestions for good track/street combo that doesn't make loads of noise for stock rotors?

Sesshomurai

MrAngry said:
As mentioned - got 2 full days on them so far with some fade (I wasn't going nuts) and I'm wondering if I should stay with them (the performance is simply okay), OR go to a Hawk HP+ (although I can't stand the squeal). Thus far there loads of pad left.

Any suggestions for good track/street combo that doesn't make loads of noise for stock rotors?

Running the stock pads for more than a half day will result in dangerous levels of fade (from my experience).
I went from stock to HP+ and it was a nice upgrade (for new trackers), but soon the HP+ got heat soaked (as my skill improved) and now I'm now HP Blues (better still). That's a good progression (for starters and for wallet). But after a first track day or weekend, change the stock pads out regardless how much visible pad they have left because when they oveheat that won't matter.

If you are new to tracking the boss or cars in general I would stay away from the high end advanced pads for now....work your way up to them.

I'm not sure an HP+ is an updgrade over the stock pads on track. If you're going to change I'd suggest going to a real track pad. The HP+ is at best an autocross pad. If you like Hawk run the DTCs (60s or 70s) which is what I've run the last several years. Of course you'll sound like a Burlington Northern on the street. If you want your rotors to live you'll have to try something else. The DTCs absolutely stop the car on track but eat rotors for lunch. I'm giving Pete's Pagid brand a go this year and he assures me I'll see better rotor life.

cloud9 said:
I'm not sure an HP+ is an updgrade over the stock pads on track.
They were a very noticeable upgrade for me.

I'm a beginner at this and ran the stock pads my first track day with DOT4 and brake cooling ducts to see what the stock pads felt like. I had fade my last two sessions going into turn 14 at Thunderhill which is the hardest corner on brakes at that track. I then moved to HP+ for several track days and was happy with their performance but didn't like the brake squeal and was just waiting for them to start fading. I'm now running Pagid pads. They don't feel a lot different from the HP+ but they have a much higher heat threshold. As I was advised and to my pleasant surprise the Pagid's are very quiet running them on the street. My goal with the Pagid's was to have better fade resistance along with the ability to not have to swap pads back and fourth between track days like I had to with the HP+. Mission accomplished.

I've been on tracks for quite some time, just don't have the cash to go full bore with new rotor & pads right now.

Hmm... maybe the HP Blues? DGRacing - you've had good results? Also, do you run them front and rear AND on stock rotors?

Tulsa, OK
I never ran the stock pads but started with HP+ pads. They worked fine for my first track day but by the second outing and most definitely the third they were noticeably fading after a few hard laps. If you want the stopping power on the track and a quiet pad for the street then I think your best bet is to switch out pads/rotors for track days, but I'm like you and don't have a desire to do that yet. You'll be fine using track pads with stock rotors. I've just gotten used to the squeal on mine. It's kind of fun now watching people's reactions as I roll up to a stoplight on the street sounding like a freight train :D

I would also suggest turning traction control completely off while on the track. My understanding is that when not turned completely off, advancetrac will kick in and apply brake pressure while you're on track because it thinks the car is in an unstable situation. Turning it off will help save pad and rotor life and keep the car more predictable. Someone can step in and correct me if I'm off base here...

Tulsa, OK
Yes I used the HP+ pads on stock rotors for the last 8 months or so with limited street driving and 3 track days.

I will be changing out the HP+ pads in the next week or so for carbotech xp20 fronts and xp10 rears and a new set of stock rotors (blanks).

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
They were a very noticeable upgrade for me.

I'm a beginner at this and ran the stock pads my first track day with DOT4 and brake cooling ducts to see what the stock pads felt like. I had fade my last two sessions going into turn 14 at Thunderhill which is the hardest corner on brakes at that track. I then moved to HP+ for several track days and was happy with their performance but didn't like the brake squeal and was just waiting for them to start fading. I'm now running Pagid pads. They don't feel a lot different from the HP+ but they have a much higher heat threshold. As I was advised and to my pleasant surprise the Pagid's are very quiet running them on the street. My goal with the Pagid's was to have better fade resistance along with the ability to not have to swap pads back and fourth between track days like I had to with the HP+. Mission accomplished.

+1

What might be interesting (and for Pete) is to see a comparison chart between Hawk and pagid pads making it easy for Hawk users to try pagid. For example, which pagid pad is most close to which Hawk pad.

Anyway, when I upgraded from HP+ to Hawk Blue it was like night and day. Barely any squeal and the grip and heat resistance was 4x greater. Off the top of my head I think HP+ are rated up to 200 degrees or thereabouts while Hawk Blues are like 800.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
It's not very feasible to compare pads. The curve for coefficient of friction vs. temperature is complex. Modulation and pad/rotor wear characteristics vary greatly. I've always been a fan of some disinterested 3'rd party doing a very scientific analysis of all pads on the market. My assumption is that it's not an inexpensive endeavor and there's no financial return on doing so. I am sure pad manufacturers, at least the larger ones, do that all the time - they just keep the data as confidential.

My biggest sellers are the RS-19, 29, 14, 15 and 56. The one with the least stopping power is the RS-19, however it is not a low performing pad by any means. A lot of 911 Porsche drivers prefer it as their front pad and the RS-29 in the rear (being a rear engine car, they do everything backwards ;D ) The RS-14's and 15's are USUALLY reserved for heavier cars, although I have some friends that drive very fast and they go with RS-14's all the way around. For the Boss, the less aggressive 19 and 29 make perfect "combo" pad in front for the Boss (with the 56 in the rear) and they perform well beyond the stock PFC's. I personally use 14's up front, I like the additional bite and am OK with the slightly shorter pad life.

Okay, so....

I've run the HP+ pads on my previous track car but the street squeal was killing me, but NFSBoss, you mentioned the Hawk Blue and you had better performance - is this what you're running now and are you running the Hawk Blue pads both front and rear?

I ask because I want to the order these soon.

Thanks - Mike

Sesshomurai

MrAngry said:
Okay, so....

I've run the HP+ pads on my previous track car but the street squeal was killing me, but NFSBoss, you mentioned the Hawk Blue and you had better performance - is this what you're running now and are you running the Hawk Blue pads both front and rear?

I ask because I want to the order these soon.

Thanks - Mike

I was the one who said he's using Hawk Blue front/rear. They don't squeal much at all - only a little.

Open question to pagid users: Which pagid pad is most close to Hawk Blues?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
DGRacing said:
I was the one who said he's using Hawk Blue front/rear. They don't squeal much at all - only a little.

Open question to pagid users: Which pagid pad is most close to Hawk Blues?

They are somewhere in the range of an RS-29 to an RS-14 for 'stopping power'. Pad life and rotor wear are very different.

TMO Supporting Vendors