The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking at a used Boss, have some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking at a used Boss. I've read posts about the red track key and also about a certificate of authenticity and other items.

1. If the red track key is not with the car, what do I need to do to get it and get it programmed?
2. What things should come with the car (certificate of authenticity, literature, other things)
3. What things should I look for? (sounds like transmission and clutch can be finicky)

Thanks

flyinlow said:
Looking at a used Boss. I've read posts about the red track key and also about a certificate of authenticity and other items.

1. If the red track key is not with the car, what do I need to do to get it and get it programmed?
2. What things should come with the car (certificate of authenticity, literature, other things)
3. What things should I look for? (sounds like transmission and clutch can be finicky)

Thanks
Welcome to BMO. To answer your questions:

1. The red key came with all the cars but it's your car that needs to be programmed with the trackey tune not the key itself. But you will need that key if you want to install trackey. The program sells for $302 plus one hour of labor to have it installed.

2. The owners kit. If you're buying from a private party insist on it. If it's from a third party ask about it but don't hold your breath. While nice to have it's not the end of the world if you don't have it.

3. Check to see if the car has been tracked. if so the clutch and or trans might have been replaced so check the service records. Not all cars have issues and most of the issues are clutch related and the trans if fine for the most part. Not much else to look for especially if it's under warranty. Personally I'd look for a private party car from the original owner. Anything else is a crap shoot. Most cars should be fine though.

Good luck!

Thanks, one of the cars I'm looking at is at a dealer. If by chance the red key is not with the car, I'm assuming I could get one from Ford, correct?

If no red key try to see if the dealer will toss in a replacement. If a 2013' check that the stripe tape isn't peeling. Best advise was already given, check if it was tracked. That's what these cars were made to do, bit it adds some additional maintenance. Always check oil quality (dipstick) to see how the previous owner or dealer took care of the car.

flyinlow said:
Thanks, one of the cars I'm looking at is at a dealer. If by chance the red key is not with the car, I'm assuming I could get one from Ford, correct?
i got my red key with my car, but it just acted like a normal key and i had to buy the programing separate.

Mine came without the red key. I still need to buy it from the dealer and check if the program was installed before I guess

raptor said:
Mine came without the red key. I still need to buy it from the dealer and check if the program was installed before I guess

Here's what Ford has to say about a missing track key. Page 5

http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel