The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking at new rims?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

I dont have 20's but they will affect all that. And your speedometer.

Hey even Ferrari's and Porsche's are now coming stock with 20's. I stuck with 19's but there are plenty of GT500 owners using 20's.

http://www.ferrari.com/english/gt_sport%20cars/currentrange/458-italia/performance_figures/Pages/technical_sheet_458-italia.aspx

Well for one there aluminum so there not heavy and there 19's already on the car wouldn't raise it too much a lot of cars come stock with 20's now

Have you thought about the advantage/disadvantages?
I personally wouldn't go with 20"s, because I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Disadvatanges:
1. larger tires are often more expensive, and give you limited tire choices. especially in case of an emergency, you may get a flat in the middle of no where and with no spare with these mustangs... wouldnt be fun to be stranded.
2. lower profile tires often cost more to mount and increase the risk of wheel damage during tire mounting. additionally, not all shops can mount low profile tires.
3. low profile tires also mean wheels absorb more of the forces exerted when going over potholes. meaning, greater chance of wheel damage and an uncomfortable ride. a bumpier ride can also wear out suspension and chassis components faster. btw, car manufacturers account the spring/dampening properties of the tires when tuning the suspension.
4. handling might suffer a bit, but that is more dependent on tire width, compound, etc, which again you may find limited tire choices.

Advantages:
1. they might look better, only if the car is lowered
2. bling bling? idk what else lol

these are my thoughts, you may have a different approach, and it seems like you may have already made up your mind already.

F.D. Sako said:
Have you thought about the advantage/disadvantages?
I personally wouldn't go with 20"s, because I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Disadvatanges:
1. larger tires are often more expensive, and give you limited tire choices. especially in case of an emergency, you may get a flat in the middle of no where and with no spare with these mustangs... wouldnt be fun to be stranded.
2. lower profile tires often cost more to mount and increase the risk of wheel damage during tire mounting. additionally, not all shops can mount low profile tires.

Comments on your first to points...larger tires are only more expensive in exotic sizes. 20" tires are so popular there are a lot more options to choose from than 19's. in pricing wheel tire combos for my previous GT500. 19s were never in the equation. I had better options in 18" and 20". Also it doesn't cost any more to mount 20s.

If you are going to track the car and not planning to run a different set, stick with 18s or 19s. If you want 20s for looks, oh can probably get a size with the same rolling diameter or very close. Bigger rims does not mean taller ride height. You will have a thinner profile, but as far as ride quality, it won't be that noticeable based on my experience. Your bigger worry is the tire you choose based on performance.

Good luck. I'll be oing the same thing t one point. The stock 2013s are the first factory rims I've had that I like but I don't love. I'll be going through the same dilemma. My Boss is unique because it is rare, but I want it to be different from other bosses ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors