The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for A How-To: Traction Lock to Torsen Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
USA
I have a base GT that I want to swap an OEM Torsen into. I’m having trouble finding a local shop that will do the work, so I’ll probably have to do it myself. Are there any step-by-step guides to doing this? I haven’t been able to find one so far.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I have a base GT that I want to swap an OEM Torsen into. I’m having trouble finding a local shop that will do the work, so I’ll probably have to do it myself. Are there any step-by-step guides to doing this? I haven’t been able to find one so far.
Are you changing the gear set too, or just swapping the differential?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Just follow the disassembly and reassembly instructions from the Ford Service Manual. Since you’re not changing gears, there’s less worry about having to adjust shims for backlash and gear pattern. No need to do anything with the pinion, which saves a lot of work. Pay close attention to what shims are on which side, and reassemble exactly as it comes apart. You’ll want to check backlash and gear pattern before you button it up, but high likelihood it will be in spec.

Here’s a link to the Ford Service Manual:

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=759&f=Differential Carrier.pdf&p=1

TMO Supporting Vendors