The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for feedback on this rear brake kit

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,574
2,444
Arizona, USA
I think the biggest thing (no pun intended) is that you will be locked into using FTBR's rotor rings at $350/pair if you go forward with that.

More rear brake torque will be available, dunno how that works out for proportioning as the ABS module controls all "dynamic" proportioning F/R.
 
ArizonaGT said:
I think the biggest thing (no pun intended) is that you will be locked into using FTBR's rotor rings at $350/pair if you go forward with that.

More rear brake torque will be available, dunno how that works out for proportioning as the ABS module controls all "dynamic" proportioning F/R.
Yea saw that on the rings. Since the rears last a lot longer than the fronts I'd be ok with that if there was a significant gain in braking. It would also be nice if it took a little load off the fronts.
 
Unless I'm missing something just buy the 2013 GT500 rear rotors with the mounting brackets and be done with it.
 
FWIW Baer makes a kit with 14 inch rotors that is even cheaper in price. Usually cost $695 but there are a lot of sales right now at $595. Kenny Brown performance even has these listed with slotted rotor, but not drilled which IMO is a plus.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/brake-rotors/baer-eradispeed2-rear-rotors-2005-2014-mustang-boss-302-and-shelby-gt500

http://www.brothersperformance.com/05-10-mustang-gt-14-eradispeed-plus-rear-brake-rotor-kit-upgrade-pair.html
 
NFSBOSS said:
Unless I'm missing something just buy the 2013 GT500 rear rotors with the mounting brackets and be done with it.

Rick - I hope you are correct as that is what I did last fall. One more reason I need to get my car out of storage and start driving it so I can see the impact of some of these mods.
 
I'd just get the 2013 GT500 bracket and stock rotors for now. The market will eventually be just as saturated with two piece rotors for the 2013 rear as it is now for the 2005+. Then you'll have your pick of any brand you want instead of being limited to one manufacturer.
 
Zquez said:
I'd just get the 2013 GT500 bracket and stock rotors for now. The market will eventually be just as saturated with two piece rotors for the 2013 rear as it is now for the 2005+. Then you'll have your pick of any brand you want instead of being limited to one manufacturer.
Is anyone running these on the track yet and does it noticably improve braking? I must have slept through other threads on this if it's been discussed.

So we don't need anything to change brake bias or a new brake module?
 
They are saying too much rear brake, will upset the ABS and pedal modulation. They think i will be get the back end swaying around in hard brake zones. IDK if it will or won't but for now the parts are collecting dust. When yo guys do it I may just in.

BTW, ou have to pull the axles out AFAIK for the plates.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,574
2,444
Arizona, USA
So if the solution is to run a less aggressive pad in the rear to compensate out for the additional brake torque that is generated in order to keep the bias similar or the same, what is the point of doing the rear brake upgrade?

IMO, probably no point unless you're going to do the larger '13 GT500 front brake setup as well--that should retain some semblance of brake bias that the ABS is calibrated to work with and you can run whatever pads you want.
 
ArizonaGT said:
So if the solution is to run a less aggressive pad in the rear to compensate out for the additional brake torque that is generated in order to keep the bias similar or the same, what is the point of doing the rear brake upgrade?

IMO, probably no point unless you're going to do the larger '13 GT500 front brake setup as well--that should retain some semblance of brake bias that the ABS is calibrated to work with and you can run whatever pads you want.
That was my reaction as well. Sure would be nice to be able to test out one of these new braking systems before committing 5 grand to it to know if it's worth the cost.
 
ArizonaGT said:
So if the solution is to run a less aggressive pad in the rear to compensate out for the additional brake torque that is generated in order to keep the bias similar or the same, what is the point of doing the rear brake upgrade?

IMO, probably no point unless you're going to do the larger '13 GT500 front brake setup as well--that should retain some semblance of brake bias that the ABS is calibrated to work with and you can run whatever pads you want.

Not sure but i was told to not do it. With my setup braking was greatly improved over stock. YMMV.

You just gotta keep the brake bias in the front regardless the rotor size is why.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top