The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for feedback on Watson 6 point

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car is purely a dedicated track car (flood salvage brought back to life purely for track use only). I don't see myself getting into wheel to wheel racing any time soon if ever.

While eventually I'd like to have a full cage and originally decided to wait out the funds to make it happen, however, came across a Watson 6 point locally for a great price.

I have a recaro Pro racer seat waiting for either roll bar or cage and harnesses.

While I know a full blown cage would provide more protection than the 6 point, how much more if only doing HPDE?

How difficult would it be to add to the 6 point?

Any advice would be helpful.

I had their 4 point in both my Boss 302 and GT350 and they are nice quality. The 6 point adds the door bars so you should be fine.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I had a six point roll bar and have just left the door bars off. I seriously doubt they add any additional protection, it just got in the way, and you have the added risk of smacking limbs on it in a crash (which would suck regardless of the padding you'd need). I don't think it adds anything over a four point and could increase the possibility of injury if it bends or you hit it in a crash. There's a reason why double door bars are required and bend away from the driver in wheel to wheel racing.

I had a six point roll bar and have just left the door bars off. I seriously doubt they add any additional protection, it just got in the way, and you have the added risk of smacking limbs on it in a crash (which would suck regardless of the padding you'd need). I don't think it adds anything over a four point and could increase the possibility of injury if it bends or you hit it in a crash. There's a reason why double door bars are required and bend away from the driver in wheel to wheel racing.
Excellent points.

While I understand conceptually what ChrisM is saying, I'm wondering if the side bars could actually help to some degree with some side impact to provide some protection vs. just the door?

I'm also wondering if a new side bar could be fabbed up that also bend away from driver? Seems the reasoning Watson designed the side bars as they exist, was for those wanting to keep the interior mostly intact.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have the MM 6 point roll bar. I think the side door bars also help keep the main hoop vertical in the event of a crash. Leaving it supported from both sides.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
While I understand conceptually what ChrisM is saying, I'm wondering if the side bars could actually help to some degree with some side impact to provide some protection vs. just the door?

I'm also wondering if a new side bar could be fabbed up that also bend away from driver? Seems the reasoning Watson designed the side bars as they exist, was for those wanting to keep the interior mostly intact.

I'm not an expert, but I didn't want to risk the likelihood that the bar will bend inward if I were T-boned. I'd rather bounce off the door than the bar in that event. I am not sure what the side airbag situation is for your car but I wouldn't want it to interfere with those either. Cars are designed for side impacts (albeit at slower speeds), so introducing a metal rod into the cabin without all the accompanying equipment and reinforcement that will keep it from bending or you hitting it is a big risk.

I get the impression the side bars are mostly for drag racers that aren't likely to get T-boned.

I really think your safest option is the four point roll bar until you get a full cage installed. Even a full cage has a lot of stuff in place to minimize the possibility of body parts hitting the bars that intrude on the cabin.

I'm not an expert, but I didn't want to risk the likelihood that the bar will bend inward if I were T-boned. I'd rather bounce off the door than the bar in that event. I am not sure what the side airbag situation is for your car but I wouldn't want it to interfere with those either. Cars are designed for side impacts (albeit at slower speeds), so introducing a metal rod into the cabin without all the accompanying equipment and reinforcement that will keep it from bending or you hitting it is a big risk.

I get the impression the side bars are mostly for drag racers that aren't likely to get T-boned.

I really think your safest option is the four point roll bar until you get a full cage installed. Even a full cage has a lot of stuff in place to minimize the possibility of body parts hitting the bars that intrude on the cabin.

Thanks for the info.

Some more info, my 2007 has a stripped interior. Planning to install a racing seat (hence no side air bags).

Doors still have glass and all internals with no panels.

At some point planning to strip the doors of the glass and internals and cut open interior. My thinking was the door bar would provide a much better impact point than door by itself. With primary focus of HPDE events, being involved in a T-bone scenario should be greatly reduced vs. racing. Anticipation is IF any side impact it would be incidental from spin etc... not primary.

Some other feedback suggests that the door bars may also assist in keeping roll bar from collapsing forward (albeit unlikely if properly installed).

I made an offer on the roll bar that was accepted and can't walk away from a $600 investment :) I will also converse with fab shop to see if different door bars can be done up.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
That! And the OEM door bar is really impressive... Last trip to the tire wall, the outside door skin made a perfect mold of the door bar...... and on the way home...I could use the side window, went up and down with zero drama.....

If the bar had not been in place.....

That! And the OEM door bar is really impressive... Last trip to the tire wall, the outside door skin made a perfect mold of the door bar...... and on the way home...I could use the side window, went up and down with zero drama.....

If the bar had not been in place.....

That's nice to know!

Depends on how you use the car.
2 door bars weigh 12 lbs.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel