The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for guidance on OEM GT350 stock clutch install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
So your "Professional" opinion is F it, DO IT :p
Pretty much. When I followed the service manual about putting the engine back in the car it didn't mention anything other than using an alignment tool. My personal experience reinforces the approach. But as always, I claim no responsibility if proven wrong :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Yes, send it
I just talked to Leo Capaldi, these engines are internally balanced and the clutch pressure plate has no index marks on them.
Weird because the ford documentation harp's on needing to align the marks or their could be an imbalance. But sounds like I'm hearing this may not be the case.

Weird because the ford documentation harp's on needing to align the marks or their could be an imbalance. But sounds like I'm hearing this may not be the case.
I'm aware of that, which is why I took awhile to give you the answer. It's not the first time GM or Ford has done that, as an example the LS Chevy engines want you to mark the balancer when it's removed to do timing chains, but there is no key, no index mark, and the engine is internally balanced, so nobody knows why they do that. The only possible reason I can think of is that the factory balances everything down to the nth degree, but there is still some unbalance so they throw the heavy side opposite the heavy side of the crank, just to make sure.
Sort of like tires, the fast guys always rotate the tire on the wheel to get the heavy side of the wheel across from the heavy side of the tire to take less weight.
top secret stuff there.. lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
I'm aware of that, which is why I took awhile to give you the answer. It's not the first time GM or Ford has done that, as an example the LS Chevy engines want you to mark the balancer when it's removed to do timing chains, but there is no key, no index mark, and the engine is internally balanced, so nobody knows why they do that. The only possible reason I can think of is that the factory balances everything down to the nth degree, but there is still some unbalance so they throw the heavy side opposite the heavy side of the crank, just to make sure.
Sort of like tires, the fast guys always rotate the tire on the wheel to get the heavy side of the wheel across from the heavy side of the tire to take less weight.
top secret stuff there.. lol
Yes no classified info outside the SCIF please. :p

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Murrells Inlet, SC
Recently secured a new clutch setup for the Gt350. I appear to have hit a snag as the directions indicate I need to align the "paint dots" on the new setup. Unfortunately I can't seem to distinguish any real paints dots on the Flywheel or Pressure plate.
Now the flywheel only goes on one way so thats kinda self explanatory, and there is a white paint dot on the inner bearing of the flywheel. But its on the inner bearing nothing on the outer rim. Clutch plate doesn't make a difference in direction, though there appears to be a green dot on there as well.

Which leaves just the pressure plate. Now I found 2 green spots, one at 11 o'clock and one a7 o'clock (based on current positioning) on the pressure plate, but I'm still not confident those are those paint dots the instructions were indicating. Anyone have any guidance on this? I'm essentially stuck at not being confident on which position the pressure plate needs to go to finish this install up.

Interesting enough I have found NO stock GT350 clutch installs searching facebook and the forums.
View attachment 66852View attachment 66850
View attachment 66851
Stang, you could try Ford Racing tech line. Google the number. I have their number, but I'm not near my files. Sorry.

This is a NOS piece mounted but never used. There are no paint marks on the flywheel but there is a "printed black stripe between the part number and FOMOCO and a black dot on the side of pressure plate, no other marking on it either. Ford instructions say "as close as possible".

20210724_105519.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Any markings on the pressure plate?
(Update I see the marking, nevermind on my follow up question)
Based on the picture though it seems to elude their is some mutual balancing among the parts.

Last edited:
There are two small weights on the back of the flywheel; the small gap between them aligns with the beginning of the printed part number on the front of the flywheel.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
There are two small weights on the back of the flywheel; the small gap between them aligns with the beginning of the printed part number on the front of the flywheel.
Thank you for your picture I was actually able to find the markings. So Super thank you.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel