The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for recommendations on rear spoiler.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
This was the first year I tracked my 12 boss and would like to get a little more down force in the rear. I’m thinking a winter project might be buy an old rear deck lid somewhere and mount a bigger spoiler to it. Any recommendations on rear spoilers? I could buy a Laguna Seca style spoiler but don’t know if it’s worth all the effort how much additional downforce I’d get vs the standard basic boss rear spoiler which I have now.

I’m not opposed to drilling holes in the new used decklid so any of the pedestal types I’m open to but I’m looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would definitely go with a bigger wing than the LS as not sure that created much more than what came stock on your Boss. I like the idea of getting a trunk deck lid and placing a World Challenge or Grand Am style wings. I may be biased , though , but getting another deck lid is the key - I am looking for one so I can convert my Boss over to a C Prepared car if I want to autocross ( I need to go with a big spoiler ).

Good luck.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am very happy with my Wang. Have not had a chance to relearn how to drive with it yet though....

By Wang, I mean this one.........
1603402224222.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup! I got mine replaced!! went from a little one, tooo a huge one, in one step. Just learning what to do with it........:eek:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
wing and splitter should be paired
This. Don't go overboard on rear downforce if you can't balance it at the front.

For price and ease of home-building, I'd do something like an NASCAR/autocross spoiler. I've seen them attached with hinges to the deck for adjusting angle. Or you could build it with overlapping, sliding panels to allow for adjusting height.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dave has a good idea on the spoiler , though I would likely consider building a two piece item as you need a ton of height on an autocross circuit whereas maybe half as much works on a road course ---- you don't want to get to the point of inducing a ton of drag if you run some really fast courses, imho.

If you are looking for a pretty decent kammback spoiler, here's some ideas, the adjustable wickerbill can be used on anything, if it doesn't come up, it's page 9

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
The cheap Steeda wing is by far the best bang/buck and makes A LOT of downforce. We raced them in Grand-Am forever and they were extremely impressive and effective for their price.

Any idea if this wing (#476, I assume) is complimentary (balance-wise) in a car with no front aero except maybe a Tiger Racing / Chicane heat extracting hood? The current rear spoiler is a Roush 420011.

Any idea if this wing (#476, I assume) is complimentary (balance-wise) in a car with no front aero except maybe a Tiger Racing / Chicane heat extracting hood? The current rear spoiler is a Roush 420011.

As I recall that was the "spec" rear wing for the Boss 302 IMSA cars, so all you need to do is pair it with the front splitter for the same class/car

It certainly would. I'm pretty sure that hood reduces a lot of front lift (if not making a good amount of front downforce) so the Steeda wing would be significantly better than the Boss spoiler with that hood.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel