The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

looking for rotor/pad combo for track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brand new here and excited to learn as much as I can. As new as the cars are there will be much to learn... What is the consensus on rotors and pads? I am looking for a combo that has been proven on the track and performs very well. Value is also important (ie at a good price). The package will also be driven on the street but not often. So it is a concern, but not a major one. Also I have the brake ducting installed. Please give me your thoughts and a good place to buy if you would. Thank you.

You'll get a lot of opinions, but here's what I've used on both the GT500 and the Boss and it works extremely well on the track. I also swap rotors and pads every track event so I don't run them on the street.

DBA 5000 2-piece rotors (front)
DBA 4000 1-piece rotors (rear)

Hawk DTC 70 (front)
Hawk DTC60 (rear)

I run ATE Super Blue or Type 200 amber DOT 4 fluid. DO NOT RUN the above combo with the stock fluid or you will almost certainly boil it and fade your brakes. I also run Goodridge SS lines.

What Cloud9 said, he know about a billion times more then me.

However if you don't want to spend top dollar and you are not tracking times (like me) this will work to go out and have fun on the track:

The best safe setup at a reasonable price I could put together was Hawk HP+ pads and slotted Brembos up front. You can use the same in the rear but I got a set of PowerSlot heat treated rotors for the back based on price, less then half the cost of the Brembos. I would have used PowerSlot up front but the do not make them to fit the Brembo package.

What is nice is I do not need to swap them out for the street, like you I also do not put many miles on the Boss off-track. They stop great cold and I have two track days on them, worked great. You will get a squeal when street driving them cold.

Can't speak for Gary, I got mine at tire rack. The did nail me for $80 in shipping costs. I know you can get the pads and front rotors at CJPonyparts without shipping charges at good prices. They do not carry the heat treated PowerSlots for the rear. Do some internet searches and compare, you might need to put in 2011 Shelby since most do not have 2012's up yet.

I just got off the phone with Stillen. I have had good experience with them in the past dealing with two different vehicles. I am going to get their J hook rotors and hawk HP Plus pads. I am also going to get AP racing PRF 608 fluid and Goodridge SS lines. The pads are more of a test to see how they perform. I have about 5 track days in a little more than a week. I will report back on how the setup performs. My goal is to make a streetable car that can run WELL on the track all day in the hot southeast weather. Wish me luck. By the way for this COMPLETE brake setup it will cost under a grand!!!

Parts List:

Stillen J Hook A piece rotors front and rear
Hawk HP Plus pads front and rear
AP racing PRF 608 brake fluid
Goodridge SS brake lines

One of the best track (race) combinations:

Performance Friction "01" -Front
Performance Friction "97" (or "06") - Rear

Another good option:

Carbotech XP10 - Front
Carbotech XP8 - Rear

Stuntman - I know the Carbotechs are pads. Are the performance friction pads or rotors? And what are the numbers in quotes? Thanks.

adam81 said:
Stuntman - I know the Carbotechs are pads. Are the performance friction pads or rotors? And what are the numbers in quotes? Thanks.
"01" and "97" are different pad compounds.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I run DBA 5000 Drilled/slotted fronts and BAER Eradispeed 14" drilled and slotted rear with Hawk HPS+ pads. ATE 200 or Super Blue and Gary's original Boss 302 brake hoses. With the Ford Racing duct kit I have had zero fade at 2 track days with this set up at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. On the street they have a little too much initial bite and they squeal at the end of the stop but you get used to both.
Steve

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h416/steveespo/Copy2ofCopyofDSC_0099.jpg

On the brakes for turn 1 at Watkins Glen

Steve

Looking good Steve. Next up you need the 302S hood. ;D

Copy2ofCopyofDSC_0099.jpg

So this is my final list. I ordered it all from Stillen and hopefully it will get here by tomorrow. If you are looking to get parts definitely give these guys a call. I got great pricing and excellent service as always.

Stillen J Hook 1 piece rotors front and rear
Hawk DTC-30 pads front
Hawk HP Plus pads rear
AP racing PRF 608 brake fluid
Goodridge SS brake lines

I will be getting some rotors and pads soley dedicated for the track in the future. I will report back on how everything works in a couple weeks.

Again my report is from a beginner and not to take away any from the experts with a ton more time out there then me. This is how my brake setup is working so far, Hawk HP+ all around, Brembo slotted rotors up front and Powerslot heat treated slotted on the rear.

Four track days on the Pads and rotors, fronts worn down but very otherwise in good shape. No cracking or otherwise bad signs. Rotors in great shape. Rears look perfect. Keep in mind I may do more braking then others but not as hard being a beginner.

Question for the advanced guys, I do understand brakes but this is a tracking question. If your rotors do not show signs of warping, cracking or grooving can you just put new pads on them or do they need to swapped? I assume you can not cut these with the slots (first time on slotted)?

rear
CIMG1899.png

front
CIMG1897.png
CIMG1893.png
CIMG1894.png
CIMG1895.png
CIMG1896.png

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Guys - Just picked up a '12 LS and would like to run Pagid R-29 pad's at the track. I've had a lot of luck with these pads on other track cars and would like to contiue the tradition. Pagid doesn't have a mapping of their pads to the 2012 Boss 302 LS yet, but they can cross reference them by a Hawk or Carbotech pad model number. Any help would be appreciated !

PS: Took her out for her maiden track day at LimeRock Park in CT last week. I don't think the M3 or the 911 knew what hit them ;D

PeteInCT said:
Guys - Just picked up a '12 LS and would like to run Pagid R-29 pad's at the track. I've had a lot of luck with these pads on other track cars and would like to contiue the tradition. Pagid doesn't have a mapping of their pads to the 2012 Boss 302 LS yet, but they can cross reference them by a Hawk or Carbotech pad model number. Any help would be appreciated !

PS: Took her out for her maiden track day at LimeRock Park in CT last week. I don't think the M3 or the 911 knew what hit them ;D
The Boss takes the same pads as a 2007-2012 Mustang GT500 or 2011+ Brembo GT. You should be able to look them up that way.

The Hawk part #s for the DTC70 fronts is HB453U.585 and the DTC60 rears is HB485G.656

PeteInCT said:

You should go with the Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rear. It seems more people are using that combo than any other, all with great results...

Also if you start looking into rotors check out the DBA 5000 for the front and DBA 4000 for the rear. Again more people seem to be using this combo than any other. I for one had a different setup that was screwy....moved over to this and I am pretty happy.

I am very hard on brakes and may look into some other pads, but for now I will modulate my braking a little better....

TMO Supporting Vendors