The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for some input on colors - green or yellow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It looks like I have a deal worked out on a new Boss but I need to decide what color. I like to keep my cars looking good but am tired of maintaining the car I'm selling which is a dark red. That leaves me with white, green or yellow. White just doesn't do it for me so that's out. I really like the gotta have it green but I'll be keeping the car for a few years and am a little concerned about that color standing the test of time - so that leaves me with yellow.

The yellow is REALLY bright, will I get used to it and learn to like it? I don't dislike it but wow it's bright! What do others think about how the green will look with time? Will it become dated quickly? Yellow or green, yellow or green?

Here are my thoughts....

Everything else aside, I like the green best.
I'm concerned about the green looking dated more quickly than the yellow.
I think both should be pretty easy to maintain.
I like the history of the school bus yellow and the Boss.
I like the fact that the SBY is unique to the Boss - GHIG is not.
Yellow seems to be a color that is time tested and will always look good on a sports car.
So although gotta have it green is my favorite, I'm leaning toward school bus yellow.

Am I missing anything here or just plain wrong in my thinking? What are your thoughts?

I'm placing the order today and need to commit. Thanks in advance for your input or experiences with similar colors.

BLUF: It's your car so you have to choose what you like and not worry about others. I know how hard the decision can be but go with your gut. I did and am so happy about my decision.
That being said,
I agree that SBY should withstand the test of time longer than GHIG. I just don't see it being desirable in 5-6 years. Completely speculation though.
I cant verify SBY is easy to maintain. The hardest part of the car is the reflective stripes and both of the colors you want have them so it's a draw.
I was torn between SBY and grabber blue at first but since grabber blue is available on any Mustang, I went with SBY.
I personally feel GHIG is brighter in person. I had my SBY parked next to a GHIG GT and the green seemed brighter.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know it's personal preference but I do like both colors and want to keep liking them - and I'm not worried about others, I'm worried about me!. ;D

I really like the color of my current car but just get really tired of taking car of it - I'd rather drive it more and wash it less! And since I may be keeping it for may years to come I don't want to become unhappy with it at some point because the color doesn't look 'current' any longer. White would be safest I suppose but I just can't get excited about white on this car.

Other than the stripes, is the SBY pretty easy to maintain. Does is show dust and dirt easily or does it hide them pretty well?

Sesshomurai

I went through this thought process when I had ordered a '13 LS (before I cancelled it for my '12 Yellow Blaze). I love the subtly of black and have owned many black cars. It's reliable and it always works (yes, I know black is not on your list), but I decided on yellow because it pops and I got the car to go on the track. If I were just streeting the car, I'd gone with black because I don't want to draw too much attention just motoring around town. On the track, I want that "pop".

This car is meant to pop and that's why I had switched to SBY (at that time). Get this car on the track and that SBY reflecting the sun is a real sight to behold. GHIG is also a nice choice. To me, its more exotic (like something a lambo would come in) and has appeal for that reason.

GHIG - Bold, exotic, rare. Might be more subjective long term.
SBY - Historic, race-inspired, reliable. Undeniably good looking.

Many folks will say that yellow is "the" color for the boss, but its always a subjective thing.

Mine will be used on the street, not the track but I think either of these colors (yellow or green) will be pretty apparent driving down the road.

Did you forget about Grabber blue or is that not one of your pics. After all it is one of the original colors.

Go with what you like and don't worry about the upkeep. Regardless of what color it is you're still going to be cleaning it a lot. FWIW the more I see GHIG the more I like it. Think of it as Lamborghini Green. ;D Of the 2013 colors I'd buy a black LS or grabber blue Boss.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I think white will stand the test of time the best. JMO - but I am biased. All my cars are white. Love the white/black accents.

maddog said:
Did you forget about Grabber blue or is that not one of your pics. After all it is one of the original colors.

Grabber blue is a great color but there's just something about it that never reached out and grabbed me. One of those personal taste things I suppose.

GottaGettaBoss said:
Thanks for the input. Yes, I know it's personal preference but I do like both colors and want to keep liking them - and I'm not worried about others, I'm worried about me!. ;D

I really like the color of my current car but just get really tired of taking car of it - I'd rather drive it more and wash it less! And since I may be keeping it for may years to come I don't want to become unhappy with it at some point because the color doesn't look 'current' any longer. White would be safest I suppose but I just can't get excited about white on this car.

Other than the stripes, is the SBY pretty easy to maintain. Does is show dust and dirt easily or does it hide them pretty well?
The SBY is very easy to upkeep. I came from an '11 GT that was black so almost anything is easier than that though. My buddy has a '12 PW and it hides dirt very well. Probably better than either the SBY or GHIG would.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I say SBY. Whatever color these cars really attract dirt and brake dust in a lot of strange places. I guess becaused of brake ducts and the aero package but i get dust all over the rear bumper and along the fenders and doors. I don't really mind because it's a race car to me but if you are a clean fanatic you will notice stuff in places you wouldn't see on other cars.
Steve

I have the GHIG. If I didn't, than it would be the SBY. I will say that the SBY is not a tri-coat so any dings, updates, repaints in 20 years, etc will be cheaper and easier.

I was a bit nervous about my GHIG when it was on order, but now that it is here in person I can't tell you how many compliments I get on the color. I tinted my windows and the black stripes and black rims really make it pop.

One more thing, the colors you get from the sun on this color is unbelievable. The metallic flakes give off an amazing sparkle. So far easy to keep clean. Oh yeah, how come every mustang review has the car color in GHIG?

Good luck on either choice.

Even though I'm not much of a green person, I'd go with GHIG.

SBY is going to be the most-produced color. I like being unique and don't want the most-produced color. My Impala SS was teal, most were black. My Marauder was silver, most were black. My feelings toward SBY and GHIG are about the same as far as whether I like them or not (not that crazy about either one). But given the choice of one or the other, I'd go with GHIG because of the wow factor and the rarity factor. In the end, go with what makes you the happiest, which is usually your first choice.

CPTMac689 said:
I have the GHIG. If I didn't, than it would be the SBY. I will say that the SBY is not a tri-coat so any dings, updates, reprints in 20 years, etc will be cheaper and easier.

That crossed my mind too, and I may just keep it 20+ years. Not guaranteed but very possible.

Tonywaz BOSS said:
I was a bit nervous about my GHIG when it was on order, but now that it is here in person I can't tell you how many compliments I get on the color. I tinted my windows and the black stripes and black rims really make it pop.

One more thing, the colors you get from the sun on this color is unbelievable. The metallic flakes give off an amazing sparkle. So far easy to keep clean. Oh yeah, how come every mustang review has the car color in GHIG?

Good luck on either choice.

I agree Tony, GHIG is a great color, especially when it sparkles and the undertones come out in the sun. It's tempting - very tempting.

Sesshomurai

Found this cool shoot of a GHIG. With custom rims (20"). badass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vossenwheels/7800093294/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vossenwheels/7800094162/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vossenwheels/7800093198/in/photostream/

TMO Supporting Vendors