The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for spring reviews and recommendations? K vs P vs T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordered the P sprints from autonation ford this AM.

Next is a panhard bar...best solution? I am assuming the whiteline double adjustable that is like $180?

The ford racing unit is like $250...

There are lots of others as well steeda, bmr, etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you track with the P springs you need the adjustable LCA bracket and arms. Lowering the rear without it will make your car handle oddly as the geometry will have the rear axle steering the opposite of where you want to go!!

Mad Hatter said:
If you track with the P springs you need the adjustable LCA bracket and arms. Lowering the rear without it will make your car handle oddly as the geometry will have the rear axle steering the opposite of where you want to go!!

Well, you absolutely need LCA Brackets, but I ran my "P"springs with stock LCA arms and it was fine. Did run one day without LCA brackets and it was wicked loose. On the LCA arm, I could only put the arm in the middle hole, but that was just right anyway. Ended up with a Cortex watts link...still with the stock arms and handling is almost perfection for me...very neutral.

Im looking into this myself.

I plan on buying the K springs with the Konis as of now. Are the Koni's better than the bilsteins? I want to run the 18X11 forgestars and I've read that needs the camber plates, LCA's etc. Trying to get a complete idea of what i am looking for before i start buying this week and miss stuff such as the lca, upper arms etc.

Bloodykisses said:
Im looking into this myself.

I plan on buying the K springs with the Konis as of now. Are the Koni's better than the bilsteins? I want to run the 18X11 forgestars and I've read that needs the camber plates, LCA's etc. Trying to get a complete idea of what i am looking for before i start buying this week and miss stuff such as the lca, upper arms etc.

Exactly where I am at, this moment. I went with P springs. I am also looking into 18x11 forgestars (you going 18x11 front and rear?). I have the LCAs, brackets, and the camber plates sitting in my garage. I need an adjustable panhard bar and i should have the basic components i need to move forward.

I plan to hold off on struts for a bit, but for you going with the K springs and the big drop, agree you prob need the struts concurrent with the rest of your mods.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

I'm still sitting in the confusion area. I want to buy parts but I haven't found a list of "ok, this is what you need". There's so many combinations and I'm not sure what needs what.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I went with a FRPP set up with P springs. Very happy.

You will need P springs, Bump stop kit, Adjustable pan hard bar, CC Plates (I went with MM), LCA's and relocation brackets. A bolt kit may also be a good idea. Some have simply cleaned the old bolts and applied lock tite.

After install an alignment is a good idea. If you plan to track the Boss, add some camber.

Bloodykisses said:
I'm still sitting in the confusion area. I want to buy parts but I haven't found a list of "ok, this is what you need". There's so many combinations and I'm not sure what needs what.
Here you go:

Koni Yellow's
Ford Racing:
P or K springs
Adjustable panhard bar
Rear LCA's
Relocation brackets
Maximum Motorsports Camber plates

These items will have you ripping around any race track with much greater confidence over the stock suspension. Set the camber somewhere between -2.0 and -2.5 and you're done.

For wheels any 18x10 or 18x10.5 wheel with BFG Rival 275/295's or Hankook RS-3's in 265/285. I'd look hard at the Team Dynamics from Blowfish racing with the new offsets. Start there and then decide after you wear out your first set of tires if you want to go square. The 10's or 10.5's will work with any of those tires.

NFSBOSS said:
Here you go:

Koni Yellow's
Ford Racing:
P or K springs
Adjustable panhard bar
Rear LCA's
Relocation brackets
Maximum Motorsports Camber plates

These items will have you ripping around any race track with much greater confidence over the stock suspension. Set the camber somewhere between -2.0 and -2.5 and you're done.

For wheels any 18x10 or 18x10.5 wheel with BFG Rival 275/295's or Hankook RS-3's in 265/285. I'd look hard at the Team Dynamics from Blowfish racing with the new offsets. Start there and then decide after you wear out your first set of tires if you want to go square. The 10's or 10.5's will work with any of those tires.

Thanks rick, similar guidance that has been provided in other places, but consolidated in one spot! Thats the route I am headed, ill let everyone know how it turns out!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
If you want the biggest rubber you can fit under your car go with the Vorshlag wheels:

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_268&products_id=624

Read the article…it explains the setup of the wheel and they are still lightweight and the same price as my Enkei's were.

Adam

Fellow racers, the last post on this thread is somewhat dated, so I'm looking for any updated opinions and information as I continue to setup my 2012 Boss for the track. Some street driving, mostly to and from the track. I have 20+ track days running a stock suspension and tire setup. I have 18x11s on order and intend to run a square setup. Also have MM CC plates ready to install. Now thinking about lowering the car for better track performance, and may need more negative camber adjustability. Leaning towards the Boss specific T springs, because Ford says they work with the Boss setup and other mods are not necessary. However, many of you have already been down this path and have real world track experience. I do understand that coilovers are superior and the preferred method assuming cost is of little concern. Is the Boss suspension worthy of a spring upgrade, or should the suspension be replaced? Koni. Bilsteins, others?Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm keen on the Maximum Motorsports Road and Track springs. Lower and stiffer than most drop springs. Run with either the Bills or Koni's I have tested both. Both will work for you. I give it to the Bills by an edge but the valving is fixed and you can soften up the Koni's for street diving. The Bills will give you better control, will last longer when ran hard, Monotubes struts/shocks will always out perform twin tube in the long run. just my $.02

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not to sound like a smart guy, but. How fast do you want to go? Speed costs money.
Check out what Cortex has to offer.
I run P Springs and stock struts and shocks. When the budget allows I will likely upgrade with Cortex coil overs, Watts link and maybe a torque arm.

FAST!!! Trying to determine if the MM track & grip box or the FRPP FR3 handing pack is a significant improvement over the Boss stock suspension. Or if a minor mod (springs) is enough. If the MM T&G or FR3 is only a small improvement, I'll need to adjust my thinking towards coilovers. This thread suggests that the FR3 pack is very similar to the Boss 302S suspension. Good enough for the 302S is good enough for me.

I can tell you for certain that the MM Road and Track kit is a significant improvement over the Boss302 Set up. I would pick it over the FRPP FR3 kit for sure.

drano38

Wayne
Maybe spend the winter keeping an eye on the For Sale section for a used coil over setup - real nice ones at great prices show up fairly often.
Maybe just change springs when track season is back and you haven't found used coil overs yet.
I've got Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport, MMC camber plates, Whiteline Watts, Ford Racing relocation brackets, and it all works pretty good. But I've read the MMC box is really good too.

Thanks for the info. Better than FR3 because of the springs, and/or struts? I spoke with MM the other day, asked about the springs among others things. Told me their kit uses H&R springs, said they are specially made for MM. Maybe the H&R race springs? Drop is minimal for the Boss; 0.04" rear and 0.4" front. Not sure I would need the entire kit as some Boss components might be reusable like the FSB. Did you install the RBT-51 kit on a Boss? Are you running a square setup? LCA relocation brackets?

TMO Supporting Vendors