Looking to add functional splitter for my 2014

Discussion in 'Boss 302 and S197 Technical Forum' started by PapierTiger#60, Jul 2, 2019.

1. PapierTiger#60

PapierTiger#60 TMO Beginner

Hi all
    New to the forum but been around the track scene for about a year now. When I finally took my new 2014 trackpack to Buttonwillow last Sunday. I'm experiencing front end lift on the front straight past 120.
    So now I'm kicking around the idea of getting a functional splitter that bolted to the rad support or subframe along with supporting rods. However, it seems like there aren't many existing products out there beside APR, LS and some other eBay stuff (Enforced Aero). So I thought maybe this talented forum can help me find what I need. If anyone has experienced them please chim in.

2. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

I first installed a "home made" splitter that someone on this forum offered and while it looked good it was flimsy and didn't seal along the factory splitter. Then I switched this year to the Boss LS splitter from Ford Racing and I'm much happier. Perfect fit. You can buy a tow hook mount from Blowfish that also serves as the mount for the splitter rods so you kill two birds. Can't beat the factory fit. I have seen some carbon fiber bits but for track use I think the LS piece is pretty durable and reasonably priced. I found my splitter online new with the rods for around $600.

3. xr7

xr7 Overdosed on TMO

I would build one out of a sheet of plywood, some people on here have done this. Someone may even chime in with what thickness & type of plywood they used.

4. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

byronj and Mad Hatter like this.
  5. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0808.JPG
    Carter's Customs. They make some very nice splitters and other aero pieces for Mustangs. Just got there race splitter for my Sn95 race car and love it!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  6. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  7. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

I would think a wang would be something most guys would want to have if they didn't already have one....:):rolleyes::p
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

byronj likes this.
  8. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

The front end lift is partially caused by air getting trapped under the hood. Look for a Tiger Racing vented hood like the race cars use. Its main purpose is aero not cooling.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  9. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

That's a nice piece. What does a Carter's Custom splitter cost?

10. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

Or find a stock hood in a salvage yard, and go at it with a die grinder leaving enough support to be useful, then fill in the holes with some aero vents

ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  11. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

What about these guys?
    https://racelouvers.com/mustang/mustang-2015-2017/

I was looking at Trackspec center louvers but wonder if this might be better? They want it mounted a lot farther forward than the Trackspec one, like 2" behind the radiator. Anyone ever used one of these?

The hood flutter on my car is awful even with vented louvers in the holes where the signal lights used to live.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  12. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

The only reason I'm inclined towards the Race Louvers now is because of some semi-anecdotal testing I saw done on here, where a member made some wickers and put them in front of holes cut into the stock hood. He then attached strings all over the hood and the holes and took pictures of how the strings were standing straight up out of the vents when the wickers were on, whereas they were laying flat without the wickers. Pretty sure that's why the Tiger Hood is so popular versus just cutting holes in the hood. Sorry if that person reads this, I don't recall who it was, but it was a neat test so if you see this post up!

I plan to switch to the Race louvers because I would rather have the vents centered and the Trackspec louvers leave a big opening right above my air box.

JDee likes this.
  13. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Check 23chicane.com for what used to be Tiger Hoods, but the advantage as VoodooBoss noted is this helps with front end downforce also ,with.........the extra benefit of sucking out that hot air under the hood. Two benefits in one hood.

14. xr7

xr7 Overdosed on TMO

Bill, you must have spun a 180 in the chicane,:eek:, its Chicane23.com.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  15. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Ha, ha, and the worse part is Jonathan Blevins is a friend of mine..............whoops!

16. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

KOHR Motorsports carries the Tiger hood but they also some of their own design that look to be even more advantageous than the Tiger hood.

17. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

The splitter was 495 plus shipping.

18. PapierTiger#60

PapierTiger#60 TMO Beginner

yes I'm getting a set of trackspec hood vents, 100F out in buttonwillow is enough to boil everything in 4 laps.

VoodooBoss likes this.