The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking to Improve Engine Cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
For my basically stock 2012 Boss that sees mostly track and canyon time, if I was to choose between a hood with TrackSpec vents (and drilled out grille) or an improved radiator (Mishimoto? FRPP?) which would you guys recommend? or another option?
It has been very hot for a long time this summer in SoCal so I'm trying to improve cooling so I can stay out on track longer and not break anything.
Thanks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Did not have much luck with a drilled out grill (was cooler without a grill). Mishimoto rad was just a little better then stock one to be honest (at least I think so now).

Hood grills look great!!! makes me think of this car.....

upload_2019-8-6_15-2-18.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
or another option?

I'd go with adding an oil to air cooler first. If adding it to the OEM cooler, I'd say use a Setrab 925 equivalent or larger. Use a Setrab 948 or larger or two smaller coolers with higher combined capacity if you want to delete the OEM cooler.

I don't think it's been that bad around here, but lots of 100º+ days out at many SoCal tracks.

Grant 302

@Grant 302 , do you remember the BTU capacity for the Boss OEM cooler???

There isn't a published number, but my estimate based on my own calcs and measurements, experience adding it to my GT (before and after adding the 925), and the data from others here, all lead me to believe it's in the 40,000 to 60,000 Btu/hr range.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Do all of it. Another option is Race Louvers. Not sure what the performance difference is but someone ought to try them out.

I just got one, putting it in tomorrow and then a track day on Friday. So I get to cut two bloody great holes in my hood tomorrow. Nothing to be nervous about, wot? I'm doing this just for cooling, if I get more downforce that will be a nice benefit. Al Watson at Race Louvers was really good to deal with.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
A drilled-out grille won't get you much return for your time.
A BOSS 302S grille, bar grille, or mesh grill will be much more effective.
C&R radiator would be the way to go (expensive but highly effective) if you want to improve the overall cooling capacity of the vehicle.
Hood vents are great but more for aero effect (now that you have a more open grille and are venting more heat backward into the engine bay, it has to go somewhere)--the vented hood helps the front end from lifting at-speed.

I also recommend the C&R radiator. My car never cracked 220 coolant temps or 260 oil at Road America earlier this month an neither did the old 21 car. Almost everyone else, even with high flow grilles, etc. we’re running 235+ in comparison. Steve Esposito’s current car ran hot on the coolant side and went into limp mode due to oil temps.

Road America is hard on the cars cooling system. Lots of time spent at full throttle and high RPM, especially with the repeated long straitaways.

I’m running Summit Point this weekend. I’ll report back, but am expecting temps around 205.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the FRPP Racing Radiator. Any reason why not?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm surprised no one mentioned the FRPP Racing Radiator. Any reason why not?

Interested in this as well.

I have tried it and it is no more effective than the factory B302 radiator. The C&R is larger and has greater tube & fin density. It works.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Grant 302

I have tried it and it is no more effective than the factory B302 radiator. The C&R is larger and has greater tube & fin density. It works.

I was gonna say, "Because Drew said..." :D;) Better to hear it from the source. I remember when you had the FRPP unit for sale.

One more setup that I could recommend is the one that the CVR school cars use when we first saw them back in 2013. Comes with an integrated oil-water cooler, but needs custom/modified coolant hoses. At least for the lower hose and of course for the oil side plumbing.
http://store.kennybrown.com/product...ble-pass-full-race-radiator-2005-2014-mustang

That one is a bit spendy for most and I would also consider this one:
http://store.kennybrown.com/product...ple-pass-radiator-2005-2014-mustang-gt-and-v6

My car and the former 21 car both had the FRPP radiator. We replaced them with the C&R units. My car ran around 235 with the FRPP radiator at Road America.

And what was the temp with the C&R?

TMO Supporting Vendors