Looks Like Harley Davidson Is Changing Direction

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I'm not a big Harley fan but I've owned almost 30 motorcycles and like riding around on two wheels. Both of these bikes look pretty sweet and throw in the EV LiveWire and there might be life for them after all of their current owners pass on. That's actually a big concern of their, not attracting younger buyers. I hope these two motorcycles are successful.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/05...etfighter-1250-975-motorcycles/#slide-2183045

harley-davidson-pan-america-adventure-touring-motorcycle-12.jpg harley-davidson-bronx-streetfighter-motorcycle-11.jpg

2. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I may have done that once or twice in the Boss...don't let Son hear about this!!!!!!!!!!

3. Champale

Champale TMO Race

I am still mad at Harley for killing Buell motorcycles 10 years ago. Erik Buell is an absolute genius. I owned a couple of his last bikes (XB9SX and 1125CR) and they were absolutely incredible, handling like nothing else you could imagine. Was always fun harassing 150+hp literbikes on my favorite backroads.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  4. Fat Boss

Fat Boss TMO Addict

HD is getting desperate.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  5. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

The Buell’s were awesome bikes. I could never figure out what happened there but it was a big loss. The LiveWire looks legit and I hope it’s successful for them.

I’ve been following American Flat Track, AFT, the past few years and Indian has owned Harley there. HD needs to get back to beating Indian.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  6. racer47

racer47 All I got left is fast

The Buell thing is simple. He had a good thing going, own company, own race team both successful. He sold out to Harley for big money. 2008 recession hits, Buell company disappears. It was not profitable enough. If Erik would have kept his company, it would not have happened. But he got the big check and lost control. Its all just corp execs playing monopoly. They don't care if they make bikes or washing machines as long as they can siphon enough money off of it for themselves.

Fabman, ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  7. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Here's my take on Harley Davidson...I believe they believed their fan base would carry them into the future.But as their fan base got older and the young ones liked those Jap bikes that were much faster and fun to ride...Things started going downhill from there.....I liked HD's all my life, but never owned one because I believed something bad might happen.............

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:52 AM
  8. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

They can't do what Chevrolet did with the Corvette - another product with a demographic challenge - because the HD already is a mid-engine design. They're going to have to assess who their real competition is and figure out how to outperform it. There's no reason they can't do it, so long as they don't wait too long to get going.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  9. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Buell = Cafe Racer
    Harley = Buffet Racer

New E-Bike looks cool!

JDee and VoodooBoss like this.
  10. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Is HD going in a different direction or another direction? Leaving the Big Bike market would be foolish.

TymeSlayer likes this.