The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Losing my mind with shifting issues . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2013 LS, barely 6k miles on it, bought brand new and never tracked. I have had issues with high rpm lockouts mainly, but occasional grinding, too, at high rpm (usually going into 4th). In chronological order of installation, here is the list of things I have done to resolve the issues:

1) MGW shifter (bought back in 2013 so not the newest spec)
2) removed clutch assist spring
3) Whiteline transmission bushing
4) Blowfish bracket
5) Spec Stage 1 clutch and alloy flywheel

I almost feel like the issues are even more pronounced now than when new, like something is misaligned somewhere because even with the car off, trying to do a fast 2-3 shift is not as easy as I think it should be.

What have I done wrong? I know that people are going to say "Take it to the dealer" and I may do that, but if someone has an idea that maybe I did something wrong, please let me know. I am almost tempted to take the MGW, WL bushing, and BR bracket off to see what difference it might make.

Thank you in advance.

John

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You may have damaged the synchros if there was grinding while trying to shift at high RPMs.
Hopefully that's not the case, but your supporting mod list looks pretty comprehensive for this problem :(

If you want to try one more thing, go to solid motor mounts--but you will get some increase in NVH. Made a big difference on my car even with an aftermarket shifter and a whiteline bushing. I went with the Watson mounts; Prothane and FRPP (FR500C mounts) offer solutions as well.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
You may have damaged the synchros if there was grinding while trying to shift at high RPMs.

Unfortunately, those are my first thoughts as well. At least there are several others who went down a similar path/timeline of issues.

I'd consider having it rebuilt...maybe by the guy Drew has suggested in the past from FB?

Thank you guys for the quick replies.

Yes, synchros were my first thought, too. And I have kept up with the Rev Auto and Ben Calimer rebuilt MT82s so I might go that route eventually. I am friends with the owner of my dealership and he has driven my car and actually had the 2-3 shift lockout, too, so maybe a warranty rebuild/replacement is in order. I just hate leaving any car with dealerships due to some bad experiences in the past but it might be worth a try and if it doesn't work, I will try an upgraded MT82.

Oh, and solid motor mounts are an interesting idea. My Boss is not my daily driver so a little increase in NVH isn't a deal killer.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its sad, but we tend to put all the goodies to stop the mt82 grinding gear problem after we already have damaged the gear box! I should know, I am on my third and I have a Ben Calimer rebuilt box waiting to in. I added the blowfish bracket after I installed box three. :'(

Ideally we we do all the upgrades before we track the car!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Champale said:
Oh, and solid motor mounts are an interesting idea. My Boss is not my daily driver so a little increase in NVH isn't a deal killer.

Watson: http://shop.watsonracing.com/Coyote-Solid-Engine-Mounts-p/wr-coyotesldmnt.htm

FRPP: http://rehagenracingproducts.com/MUSTANG-FR500C-MOTOR-MOUNTS-M-6038-R.htm

Prothane: http://www.americanmuscle.com/pmc-motor-mounts-0509.html (not sure if these are direct fit for 11+, but they SHOULD, since the 500C mounts will work)

Mad Hatter said:
Its sad, but we tend to put all the goodies to stop the mt82 grinding gear problem after we already have damaged the gear box! I should know, I am on my third and I have a Ben Calimer rebuilt box waiting to in. I added the blowfish bracket after I installed box three. :'(

Ideally we we do all the upgrades before we track the car!

No kidding.

My tranny will probably need a rebuild soon. Ben Calimer is my preferred option. Interested to hear how yours turns out.

Those Watson ones are freaking beautiful! I will do some homework on upgraded motor mounts but I guess I need to take it to the dealership and see if they will rebuild it.

Thank you for the help, guys.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
as you can see I am a lousy phone texter!! old eyes and small screen!

Waiting for the clutch etc, will probably install everything in September.

blacksheep-1 said:
Check with Phoenix, they may have some spare trannys lying around.. (the automobile kind, not the Bruce Jenner kind)
The Jenner trannys come with the shifter still atached ;D
sorry, But your post made me laugh. Back on track!

Update: ordered some longer shift rods from MGW (the threaded rod that goes from the shift knob down to the MGW shifter). The regular MGW one measure 4" long and MGW sold me one that is 4.75" and another that is 5.25" long (only 15 bucks each so I figured why not). I installed the longer one today and am very happy with the feel overall - the gates are better defined and the shift action is lighter because of the increased leverage. I probably won't even bother with trying the 4.75" one.

Still have some lockouts, though. Despite my Spec Stage 1 clutch, alloy flywheel, MGW, Blowfish bracket, Whiteline bushing, clutch assist spring removal, etc . . . so yes, I am still losing my mind with shifting issues. So I think I will finally get around to taking it to my dealership and seeing what they say.

Well I hope you find the issue before you completely lose your mind.

A friend of mine has a taller shift knob and I was amazed how much different, and better, if felt on his Boss. If I wasn't selling my car I'd install one. The link below is the knob I'm considering for my 350.

BTW same friend had our local dealer rebuild his trans under warranty and they agreed to install the brass shift pads he purchased as part of the rebuild.

http://shop.productinnovationsonline.com/175-Diameter-Delrin-Hardbar-With-Tapered-Bottom-021.htm

130041356827898494249.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors