The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lost Silver Key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Like it says, have the red key and no idea where the silver key disappeared too. I don't go to the dealerships much anymore and especially don't trust my two local ford dealerships. I was told that i can pull into the "quick lane" and they can get it cut and programmed for $280 and about 45 minutes of my time. The lady working the service desk did not really understand my questions as it pertains to the red vs silver key and all that comes along with it.

Two things are important to me. 1) This does not affect the trackey tune 2) The key is the actual silver Boss key and not the "regular" pony key.

Any experience, advice, or things to look out for in this process? Thanks for any help.

Matt

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Been a while since anyone has had this issue...but if I recall correctly, and with the changes to how TracKey is programmed...I think you might have an expensive issue.

I believe you need two keys to program a third because of PATS. And without it that you need to reflash or go back to stock just to get another key programmed. And then you’d need to reinstall TracKey via a ProCal. After that I think total would end up over a grand in cost.

I hope I’m wrong and that there’s a cheaper way around. I’d try again to find your silver key...and if not it might be hard to find a replacement silver one. Good luck.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have bought replacements for the silver and red keys. You can program several of other none red keys but only one red key. To add a key without having it programmed you need at least two keys which have been programmed. The concept is that a "Valet" or anyone you give a key to cannot simply cut a blank and use it. You start by inserting one key, turning the car on, remove and do the same with the second. Take the new key, do the same with it. This should tell the security programs to accept the new key. If you only have the one key, you will need to have someone program the new ket through a laptop. My wife lost a key to her escape. Had to reprogram.
If you can order a red key, you should be able to find a cheaper route to have it programmed. Check out Tasca or other online Ford Parts Stores and see how much you can save. A locksmith or other service tech should be able to help you out.
The dealership has to charge you their set hourly rate. It sucks but you are having a trained tech run a simple program.

Thanks for the responses. I already purchased a silver boss key on eBay, but was shipped a red key. Seller has no more silver keys and I can't find anyone that sells a silver key to non-locksmith people like myself.

@TMSBOSS, to make sure i understand what your are saying...If i have two keys (which i don't), then I can program them myself with the procedure outlined above. If i only have one key, then that can be programmed by a locksmith or dealer and does NOT require any flashing or impacts to track key tune.

And, if all else fails and the track key tune is lost somehow, then the kit that @Grant 302 posted would be my only solution left. And why does it come with a K&N filter? Seems random...

What about a dummy/stupid key? No buttons or RF capability, but just an old school key that turns the car on and off. This is the only car of 5 that i have with this fancy key business. Is that even feasible on these cars?

Thanks again,
Matt

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think you can use a no-button PATS key, if they’re available.

You could take the Boss to you dealer with that key and see if they can program it to be your silver/non-TracKey. And hope they can do it without undoing the TracKey programming and link to your original Red key. Just might get confusing since both will be red.

If that doesn’t work then you’d need to get the ProCal. I hope that’s not the case.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
With the replacement key, you can have that key programmed into your car. I did. I had no problems with track key functions. Track Key worked before and after. The one limitation I ran into was regardless of how many red keys you have, you can only program one to function as the "Track Key".

Follow up...

I went to the local Ford dealership today and was able to successfully get a new key cut and programmed without affecting the trackey/tune. The dealership only had to bypass the security program in the ECU and did not require a flash. I was suspect at first, but one hour and $230 later i was on my way home. Only minor complaint is that the key is just a regular ford mustang key, but I'll worry about that later. I forgot about the 1-4 dummy shift with the silver key too...

Thanks for the help @TMSBOSS and @Grant 302.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel