The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Loud Vibration/Rattle Cold start and 3000 RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't know if I've had this since day 1 since I've been messing around with the exhaust discs. At cold start and when I rev it to 3000 RPM and higher (stationary and moving), I hear a buzzing/vibration/rattle from the passenger side. I thought it was my imagination, but my wife noticed it too. So, I recently opened the passenger door and brought the RPM up and the noise went away. That tells me it's in the door. I've removed a lot of door panels over the years with no problems (even BMW), but the last door panel I removed, I wound up cracking a plastic hanger on the back (F150). So has anyone out there removed a panel, from a 2010 or newer Mustang, that may be able to give me some tips before I rip this thing apart?

I have not messed with the door panel yet but before you do go back under and check the clearance of the side pipes since you worked on the discs. It sounds like they are too close to the floor board. Take a close look at the adjustment band with the long screw on it.

I have noticed the same rattling sound while accelerating, and do believe it is not related to the powertrain, as when I open the door and let my girl hit the gas, I do not notice the sound. There is a video I saw a little while ago on installing a stereo system in a 2010 mustang, and in it the tech shows how to remove the door panel. I will try to find it for you.

5:15 to 5:57 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obGeoYFhRrU[/youtube] Vid is for an older stang but the looks not much has changed. Plan on doing this when I can get my hands on a dash kit, so that I can install my Memphis audio components in the doors.

Decided not to take it apart just in case something was broke because then I'd own it. Anyway, the dealer replicated the issue, but they are perplexed at the root cause. They thought it was fixed, but it came back halfway through the test. They now have chasis ears in use and it is the end of day two.

On a positive note, they gave me a 2012 GT500 for a loaner. Not really, it's a 2010 Focus ;D but hey, I'm seriously not complaining because they didn't even have to do that. I thought it would be simple like a bottle top from a Miller Lite or a washer.

Picked up the car today. Dealer claims it was the bushings between the side pipe and the frame bracket. He said the bushing was split. Have two on order. Funny thing is, it didn't make the noise on the way home.

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
I've had the exact same problem, I discovered that the sidepipe was overtightened and rattling against the bracket. I ended upbacking it off and just putting blue loc-tite on it to keep it from getting loose.

Buzz in passenger door gone.

I just noticed (heard) this today. My 2012 has just under 2000 miles. Seems to do it mostly while city driving and begins right about 3000rpms. Rattle is easy to provoke on the highway in 5th while under load, mostly. I was tugging and applying pressure to everything on the passenger side area, that I could reach, to try and find the noise and stop it. I will check out the side exhaust bushings tonite....maybe a good time to install the electric cutouts that have been collecting dust. Thanks, SEARCH is awesome!

Yes, I have something like this, sounds inside tho.. Someone else posted a vibration sound in another post and said it was something loose in the a-pillar. Mine is like a buzzing rattling sound between say 2k - 4k rpm. I'll have to check the side pipes. It's pretty annoying.

Did some more exploring today...seems the hvac tube in the door that exits at the side glass on the passenger side is loose. If I rap on the door panel I can see the tube move back and forth. It has like a foam insulation around it but its still moving around. the drivers side tube doesnt move when I do the same thing. Possibly the source and will look into it a little closer as time permits.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Mine also has a rattle in what sounds like to be the A pillar on the passenger side. I have banged on it and everywhere around it to see if it will stop, no luck. If you find the root problem please post, thanks.

I had a bad clip inside the A pillar on the passenger side, it was driving me nuts. Dealer confirmed then pulled panels until they found it. It was not all that loud, but it was noticeable and mostly in the 2500-3500 range. I also had the exhaust bolt rattle, it if it is really loud then check that first. It sounds like it is up high even when it is the exhaust, and shaking the pipe won't replicate it. It needs a lot of space there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
CaliMR said:
I had a bad clip inside the A pillar on the passenger side, it was driving me nuts. Dealer confirmed then pulled panels until they found it. It was not all that loud, but it was noticeable and mostly in the 2500-3500 range. I also had the exhaust bolt rattle, it if it is really loud then check that first. It sounds like it is up high even when it is the exhaust, and shaking the pipe won't replicate it. It needs a lot of space there.

Was the exhaust rattling because the bolt was loose or was there a part you had to replace? Do you know what panel it was that was bad? Thanks

Flyboygsxr said:
Was the exhaust rattling because the bolt was loose or was there a part you had to replace? Do you know what panel it was that was bad? Thanks

Most exhaust rattle is caused by the side pipes being too close to the floor boards. You need about 3/8 of an inch clearance between them. If you can not get this with the two bolts that attach the side pipe assembly to the main system you can loosen the bolt on the band and twist the pipes. This bolt is east to spot because it is very long and is attached to the band.

As far as the other rattle, check the mirror, I have heard of them making a rattleing noise on the S197's.

TMO Supporting Vendors