The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Loudest and Best Axle Back to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wanted louder also for the rear exhaust without having to delete side pipes.

My selling dealer is a Roush dealer and they have sold many Shelby's and they have a good aftermarket department,etc.

I was getting tired of watching all the YouTube videos of Axle Backs. I've used Corsa, Magnaflow and others in the past with great success on different vehicles. I was just about to order MRT Interceptor when the Aftermarket manager of dealership told me that of all the exhausts they installed on Mustangs, their favorite is the Roush Axle Back. Loudest,etc.

So, I'm waiting to receive them. I figured since they are less than $500 I might as well try them.

Will post when I get them installed

I went the route of installing Pype Bomb axle backs and can say they are LOUD! I've gotten many compliments on the sound and the drone at highway speeds is not too bad. Depending on what you want to spend and how loud you want, I personally have to say I'm happy with mine. Not to mention it was the only one's I could find that were already black powder coated (they have chrome too).

I installed a set of BORLA touring axel backs and for me I just can't imagine anything louder,Guess I'm getting old Nice tone and rumble.
Phil

Sesshomurai

SUPRMN said:
I went the route of installing Pype Bomb axle backs and can say they are LOUD! I've gotten many compliments on the sound and the drone at highway speeds is not too bad. Depending on what you want to spend and how loud you want, I personally have to say I'm happy with mine. Not to mention it was the only one's I could find that were already black powder coated (they have chrome too).

I'm thinking about these in addition to my gt500 mufflers (which also sound amazing). Any idea what the decibels are? Don't want to get any noise violations.

All I can say about the touring axel backs is when I spoke with the Borla rep and stated that I was thinking about using the gt500 axel backs and asked him if they sounded similar he said no way they sounded the same.They have a nice sound,not being to loud as I said I would not want them any louder.Whats good about these is if you want a little more than open up the side pipes a little with the disc plates.
Phil

Justin,

You ought to get the Roush Axle Backs. You already do business with them and they are known for LOUD and great tone, with no drone.

ps. great website and awesome creative work!

Mine should be installed this week.

This sounds really good imo, but I think a big part of it is the test pipe. Which is a no-no in CA unfortunately.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrdX23KfmrM[/youtube]

Roush axel backs are nice for sure, but I think I have made up my mind on the Borla ATAK ones... and those will be the ones I will be getting...

Once I have them on and everything I will try to post some videos...

zzyzx

Steve
First I removed the plates. Lots of in-cabin sound. Sounded great.

Then, I installed the Corsa Xtremes.

Like others have mentioned, this "balanced" the sound.

The net affect was that there was less in-cabin sound. It literally sounds quieter than with just the plates removed.

There's absolutely no drone at all.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel