The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low air pressure light went off this morning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
At what PSI does it go off at?

I checked it once I got home it was at 25psi hot. the drivers side rear. Good news is I got the extended tire and wheel coverage and the big old carriage bolt that went through it is near the side wall so probably going to get a new tire...I'll at least demand one.

Last question is there a way for it to display which tire is low?

This is one of the very weak spots of the Boss, IMHO. Even crappy economy cars will have individual pressure readings for each tire, but the Boss just has an idiot light. Inexcusable on a performance car.

I don't even know if the threshold can be set, because I installed a new set of wheels with a TPMS/Temperature system from Orange Electronics. I got the system on Amazon for $105 shipped. It consists of four valve stem/sensors, and a color LED screen display powered by mini-USB/12V adapter. It displays individual pressures and temperatures for each wheel. It does not interact with the stock TPMS receiver, so I have to clear "TPMS error" once every time I drive, but the traction/stability control are not affected as they are in some cars when there is a TPMS warning.

Not having individual pressure displays is just plain stupid, especially on the 2013 cars with the Track App screen.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Justin said:

I checked it once I got home it was at 25psi hot. the drivers side rear. Good news is I got the extended tire and wheel coverage and the big old carriage bolt that went through it is near the side wall so probably going to get a new tire...I'll at least demand one.

Here is an example of a low tech solution (i.e., if they work as described):

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Pressure-PSI-40-Monitoring-Chrome/dp/B004C5CJDA

Justin

four-walling said:
Justin said:

Here is an example of a low tech solution (i.e., if they work as described):

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Pressure-PSI-40-Monitoring-Chrome/dp/B004C5CJDA
I had a similar set on my cobra years ago...waste of money blew two tires and they still read good. I dont think they take to the weather well.

What Justin said, they have to be really, REALLY low to show even when working properly. Tried them on a couple motorcycles since the pressure is important on them.

TPMS systems on many cars, even high end ones, are crappy. Some rely on the ABS sensors and differences in wheel spin over time to determine if the pressure is low. Some have actual pressure sensors. IIRC I read in the manual that the Mustang ones are not adjustable, though that would be a nice feature. On some cars, there is a "learn" button where you set the pressure in the tires, hit the learn button, then drive a while and it learns though I believe those are mostly ABS based systems. I also don't know what their threshold is.

Would be nice to have a display for each tire for the track, something that logs them so you can cycle back and see how to adjust pressures.

Justin

well they ordered me a new tire. should be there in 3-4 days he said. in the mean time I am driving around with the nail or what ever it is in the tire. got my air tank filled and in the trunk just in case.

Justin

finally got a new tire on. its nice not to have to wake up in the morning fill up a tire and air tank just so I can make it to work and back. The dealer was ok about it. Got lied to on what air they filled the tire with. I asked when he gave me the keys back "did you put nitrogen in that tire?"...oh yeah. I go to the car its got a black cap on it....hmm this dealership puts green on tires filled with nitrogen. So I went back in said are you sure it has nitrogen in it? He calls the tech up to the front he says no. Got straightened out in the end just dont like being lied to he should have verified to begin with.

PeteInCT said:

Holy crap. I received mine from Amazon about three weeks ago and it was $105 shipped. They want over $400 now?

I had the sensors installed in the 2010 Shelby Convertible 18x9.5s that I am using for everyday tires. The system is absolutely awesome. It gives accurate PSI readings, and also individual tire temperatures. It uses a Mini-usb for power and a 12V cord is included. I set the high/low ranges and put it in my console, where it is ready to beep at me if there is a problem, and I can pull it out and look at it if I need to check things.

I thought at first it might be communicating with the factory system, but that is because the factory system doesn't even flag an error for 15-20 minutes!!! How useless is that? I don't even have the sensors in the tires for the factory system, and it lets me drive 15-20 without telling me there is a problem .

I have a 2013 and when the factory system alerts, it puts a message on the LCD in the center of the dash that just says "TPMS Error". Then, after I clear that, the little tire icon flashes for about five minutes, then it goes steadily on. Easy to ignore. The factory system is useless.

weird...I got the I also got the "Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System"...$105 shipped, and they work great. and my in-dash tpms alert has not been triggered at all...

TMO Supporting Vendors