The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low cost GPS lap timer evaluation

I have the GPS Timetronic. It works great if you're just looking for a very accurate timer. It also logs your top speed for each lap as well. If you want split times, g's, etc, this isn't for you. $250.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Reviving for updates.

With the new IPhone 5s on the market and nearly 2 years since the last info on lap timers.

I was hoping to get opinions on what folks have used and like as well as used and disliked.

I want something that is economical, fairly easy to us, integrates data from the car, RPM, speed, gear etc.

Mounts, hardware and software.

Suggestions, lessons learned??

I am leaning towards Harrys Lap Timer.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
I don't use Harry's lap timer but I don't believe it integrates any data directly from the car. I could be wrong. I use a TraqMate HD system which has a separate data acquisition module it works very well but I obviously is not an inexpensive solution.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
PeteInCT said:
I don't use Harry's lap timer but I don't believe it integrates any data directly from the car. I could be wrong. I use a TraqMate HD system which has a separate data acquisition module it works very well but I obviously is not an inexpensive solution.

Pete

Website states the data is linked via OBDII Wi-Fi link.

Hope to find someone who has one and can advise what to buy.

Thanks

Tracy
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Pretty cool. I assume you need an OBD WiFi adapter. Lots of people like Harry's, sounds like a good option.
 
TMSBOSS said:
Reviving for updates.

With the new IPhone 5s on the market and nearly 2 years since the last info on lap timers.

I was hoping to get opinions on what folks have used and like as well as used and disliked.

I want something that is economical, fairly easy to us, integrates data from the car, RPM, speed, gear etc.

Mounts, hardware and software.

Suggestions, lessons learned??

I am leaning towards Harrys Lap Timer.

I have a lot of experience with Harrys laptimer on the iphone 5. It is nice as it now exports a .vbo file to import into "circuit tools 2" software for post driving analysis.
The only issue I had was the OBD wifi device stopped working correctly when iPhone went to Ios 7. I wanted to change it anyway as I wanted to use the wifi to control my gopro.
Then you would use a Bluetooth obd plug and a Bluetooth GPS receiver as they both are connected at the same time properly. I use BT1 Gopoint Obd transmitter and the Dual xgps150 (5hz) or xgps160 (10 hz).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I usually use my iPhone 5 with Track Addict Pro (like a $7 app). It's basically the same as Harry's Lap Timer for what I use it for (Harry's has features for non-auto vehicles) I link to a Bluetooth OBDII and read multiple channels direct from the car. I've also started using an external GPS unit (Bluetooth high sampling rate) for the speed channel to eliminate speedo error with track tires.

Steve
 
Moto said:
I have a lot of experience with Harrys laptimer on the iphone 5. It is nice as it now exports a .vbo file to import into "circuit tools 2" software for post driving analysis.
The only issue I had was the OBD wifi device stopped working correctly when iPhone went to Ios 7. I wanted to change it anyway as I wanted to use the wifi to control my gopro.
Then you would use a Bluetooth obd plug and a Bluetooth GPS receiver as they both are connected at the same time properly. I use BT1 Gopoint Obd transmitter and the Dual xgps150 (5hz) or xgps160 (10 hz).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 I've been using Harry's with Gopoint BT1 OBD and first Dual xpgs150, now xpgs160. Works well and overlays Throttle position, Gear, and RPM on video. Data files log other info e.g. Coolant Temp.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
+1 I've been using Harry's with Gopoint BT1 OBD and first Dual xpgs150, now xpgs160. Works well and overlays Throttle position, Gear, and RPM on video. Data files log other info e.g. Coolant Temp.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help guys.

What mount works best with the iPhone?
 
TMSBOSS said:
+1 I've been using Harry's with Gopoint BT1 OBD and first Dual xpgs150, now xpgs160. Works well and overlays Throttle position, Gear, and RPM on video. Data files log other info e.g. Coolant Temp.


Thanks for the help guys.

What mount works best with the iPhone?

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-B-166U-Twist-Lock/dp/B002IV6OHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396608125&sr=8-2&keywords=Ram-Mount+-+RAM-B-166

with:

http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Cradle-Apple-iPhone-RAM-HOL-AP11U/dp/B00AAZ8OS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396608244&sr=8-1&keywords=RAM-HOL+AN11
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Black Boss said:
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-B-166U-Twist-Lock/dp/B002IV6OHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396608125&sr=8-2&keywords=Ram-Mount+-+RAM-B-166

with:

http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Cradle-Apple-iPhone-RAM-HOL-AP11U/dp/B00AAZ8OS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396608244&sr=8-1&keywords=RAM-HOL+AN11

Thanks!!!!

On Order
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Black Boss said:
+1 I've been using Harry's with Gopoint BT1 OBD and first Dual xpgs150, now xpgs160. Works well and overlays Throttle position, Gear, and RPM on video. Data files log other info e.g. Coolant Temp.

Only source for GoPoint BT1 and BT1A is the manufacturer.

Anyone know where I can find one for less than $120.00??
 
I used TrackMaster for Andoid for a while, but it's buggy as sh1t. It would occasionally lose my recorded sessions, which is a dealbreaker.

Now I use RaceChrono with a QStarz 818XT and this $25 ODB port reader: Linkhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=167MZ7Q1YVJU3&C=3T5MUR8F9569O&H=6TMZ2ALXDIVVAKBETER28LUPLFQA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB005NLQAHS%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I stitch 'em together with RaceRender at home after a race weekend.

Seems to work okay.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,358
3,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Bob said:
I used TrackMaster for Andoid for a while, but it's buggy as sh1t. It would occasionally lose my recorded sessions, which is a dealbreaker.

Now I use RaceChrono with a QStarz 818XT and this $25 ODB port reader: Linkhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=167MZ7Q1YVJU3&C=3T5MUR8F9569O&H=6TMZ2ALXDIVVAKBETER28LUPLFQA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB005NLQAHS%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I stitch 'em together with RaceRender at home after a race weekend.

Seems to work okay.

Thanks

Looks like this only works with an Android phone. I need something for an iphone.

Tracy
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top