The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low cost GPS lap timer evaluation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently picked up a QStarz BT-Q1000ex-10Hz GPS data logger...$189.95 on Amazon. Tried it out last month at Watkins Glen and pretty happy with it. Bad news is it does not have a built in display so it's useless as an in car lap timer...QStarz, AIM and others have them with displays for $400 and up. However, for downloading and analysis it's great for the price. For $39 you can get DashWare software to integrate the data with you video. Here's a short video I threw together for test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27APVCngkw&feature=player_embedded

There's lots of options as to gauge apperance and what to display of you are making a video...I just picked some of the simple stuff. I think it's pretty cool for the price.

drano38

Wayne
Nice video -- but is it just me, or are there waaay to fricken many walls on that course? I watched the race there on TV last weekend, and all I see are walls. :eek: I guess I'm spoiled in the midwest where we normally have lots of off-track grass or hay.

Looks like the data and video system works well.
I loaded Trackmaster by Trackeroo on my Droid phone this spring, and run a bluetooth receiver. It uses the smart phone's video camera. Mine doesn't always record video, but I think its a limitation of my 2 year old Samsung Fascinate phone.
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
BT-818X – GPS Bluetooth receiver http://www.amazon.com/BT-Q818X-Bluetooth-Receiver-Hardware-BT-Q818XT/dp/B001R1OO1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322544041&sr=8-1

Lots of good video/lap time choices out there.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Wayne, those aren't walls they are 'engineered high speed safety barriers' ! It makes things MUCH more interesting! ;D

litsnsirn said:
Is there a similar app for the iPhone?
Harry's Lap Timer for the iPhone. I'm getting an iPhone next month and will probably use Harry's with it. What I like about the QStarz is it's tiny, a battery charge lasts about 48 hours and it comes with some good (not great) software that allows lap comparisons, sector time analysis etc. Dashware is very nice and works with almost all data loggers including Trackmaster, Harry's, AIM etc. Lot's of options for data/video integration so you can customize how and what you overlay on your video.

drano38 said:
Nice video -- but is it just me, or are there waaay to fricken many walls on that course? I watched the race there on TV last weekend, and all I see are walls. :eek: I guess I'm spoiled in the midwest where we normally have lots of off-track grass or hay.

Walls? Are there walls at Watkins Glen? Oh yeah, guess there are...I just try not to run into them. ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ChuckP said:
drano38 said:

Walls? Are there walls at Watkins Glen? Oh yeah, guess there are...I just try not to run into them. ;D

Walls? What walls? I don't don't see no stinking walls !! ;D

(yea I know this on eis a stretch, I'm just too lazy to edit the audio on this ;D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

drano38 said:

Looks like the data and video system works well.
I loaded Trackmaster by Trackeroo on my Droid phone this spring, and run a bluetooth receiver. It uses the smart phone's video camera. Mine doesn't always record video, but I think its a limitation of my 2 year old Samsung Fascinate phone.
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
BT-818X – GPS Bluetooth receiver http://www.amazon.com/BT-Q818X-Bluetooth-Receiver-Hardware-BT-Q818XT/dp/B001R1OO1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322544041&sr=8-1

Lots of good video/lap time choices out there.

Ok Wayne, I'm trusting you on this. ;D
Just ordered the GPS Bluetooth receiver and I'll download the Trackmaster. Hopefully everything will work together on my Droid X. I'll try it out at Road America at the end of the month. ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Track master on my single CPU Droid was sketchy at best. Not sure if the Droid X is single or dual processor. Runs better on my 2 chip Samsung android. It is a CPU hogging mobile app.

drano38

Wayne
Dean#4AI said:
Ok Wayne, I'm trusting you on this. ;D
Just ordered the GPS Bluetooth receiver and I'll download the Trackmaster. Hopefully everything will work together on my Droid X. I'll try it out at Road America at the end of the month. ;D

Try it, you'll like it. What commercial was that from? Chex or Life cereal???
If you don't like it, you can yell at me at the MPH Mustang Roundup in Sep. ;D
Throw the GPS receiver in the cup holder. Run power cord to center console plug in if you run more than one day and it will stay charged.

Pete,
'engineered high speed safety barriers' hurt if we trade paint with them. :(
A few weeks ago, I went 75' off on turn 1 at MAM. Had about 300 ft more grass before I got to the perimeter fence.

I am using the IPhone with Harry's Laptimer. It uses an OBD2 Wifi (Kiwi)(for RPM/throttle/gear/etc) and the external GPS XGPS150E Bluetooth Receiver to get 5hz. It seems very accurate. I am using Race Render 2 video overlay (for GoPro Hero 2) which is just OK, but I wish it had some better analysis tools to compare laps and Max/Min speeds, etc.

Dean#4AI said:
I'll try it out at Road America at the end of the month. ;D
You're tempting me to bag the 3 day BIR event at the end of the month and go back to RA..........after I go to RA tomorrow.......but I'm not addicted or anything.

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
You're tempting me to bag the 3 day BIR event at the end of the month and go back to RA..........after I go to RA tomorrow.......but I'm not addicted or anything.

I would love it if you could come. I think there are 8 bosses, 1 302S and a 302R that is going to be there. I think they have only 1 spot left and I don't know if it includes Saturday. They didn't have a Saturday available on the website but they did when I emailed them for availability.

Dean#4AI said:
cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:

I would love it if you could come. I think there are 8 bosses, 1 302S and a 302R that is going to be there. I think they have only 1 spot left and I don't know if it includes Saturday. They didn't have a Saturday available on the website but they did when I emailed them for availability.
We are kicking it around. I'll find their email and check to see if there are even any openings left. Dropped the car at the track tonight and must have lost a trailer tire right before we got here.....the other three are cracking in the tread area so not sure where this thing was stored but am having Mills mount four new ones tomorrow.

cloud9 said:
We are kicking it around. I'll find their email and check to see if there are even any openings left. Dropped the car at the track tonight and must have lost a trailer tire right before we got here.....the other three are cracking in the tread area so not sure where this thing was stored but am having Mills mount four new ones tomorrow.

Mark Francis is the guy who helped me get registered.
I can't tell you how many flat tires I had on my old enclosed trailer. They sure are a pain to change in the middle of a road trip. :mad:

TMO Supporting Vendors