The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

low dust brake pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Hey guys, I'm tired of cleaning my front rims every other day of brake dust. Not sure what pad is on there now but they throw off a lot of dust. I need a good low dust pad for every day driving as this car is my DD. Don't want to break the bank either. I'll purchase a separate set of pads and rotors for the track. Anyone using a low dust pad out there? thanks for any suggestions. :-\

johnrehder said:
Hey guys, I'm tired of cleaning my front rims every other day of brake dust. Not sure what pad is on there now but they throw off a lot of dust. I need a good low dust pad for every day driving as this car is my DD. Don't want to break the bank either. I'll purchase a separate set of pads and rotors for the track. Anyone using a low dust pad out there? thanks for any suggestions. :-\

I feel your pain, spend more time cleaning than driving, buying a black set of rims this week, should help and change the look once in a while.

johnrehder said:
What kind/color rims you getting? I'm trying to decide on a set of track wheels maybe 18" to give a larger selection of tires.

It all depends on what size tire you run. I use these with the Conti slicks, they are 9.5 wide. They are not light weight but the price is right and they hold up to plenty of abuse.

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/2010-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT500-18X95-WHEEL-SET-WITH-TPMS-KIT_p_339.html

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I swapped to Hawk ceramic pads for this very reason. Cut the dust way down.

P.S. getting black wheels wont help you out much as you can still see the brown dust plain as day.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Justin said:
I swapped to Hawk ceramic pads for this very reason. Cut the dust way down.

P.S. getting black wheels wont help you out much as you can still see the brown dust plain as day.

Correct. Brown dust on my factory black wheels make them look dirty just the same.

Justin, how much less dust could you guestimate with the ceramic pads? Half, even less?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TymeSlayer said:
Correct. Brown dust on my factory black wheels make them look dirty just the same.

Justin, how much less dust could you guestimate with the ceramic pads? Half, even less?
more then half. My wheels now take a solid week to look like they did after one day with stock pads

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I am curious as to this brown brake dust. Could it in some cases be from a bit of rust from the rotors in combination with the pads?

TymeSlayer said:
I am curious as to this brown brake dust. Could it in some cases be from a bit of rust from the rotors in combination with the pads?

Short answer is yes, not sure how much if any of it from the rotors. Sometimes I don't clean my Shelby track rim right away and they have rust from the pads all around the inside.

TMO Supporting Vendors