The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low Friction Rear Geas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I tried a search but found nothing. I was looking for options on the Weir Racing Low Friction 8.8″ Gear and Bearing Set (S197). I'm looking at the 3:73 gears. I know the price is a little higher then, say Richmond or FRPPs gears. If they are quiet then it will be worth the difference.

Thanks for you help.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Interesting, here is a link:

http://www.weirracing.com/product/weir-racing-low-friction-8-8-gear-and-bearing-set-s197/

2HP

We use Ford Racing, but when you shop for gears be aware of a couple of issues. Some of these gear sets are designed for drag racing, they are not to be used in a street or track car, the reason is that because of the nature of drag racing, and the high rpm, first gear starts, drag race gears are designed to be softer than street or race gears. This way they are not as brittle and actually last longer (but wear faster) than street/road race gears. Dragster guys don't care because they don't drive that far and they have the more immediate problem of transferring that energy to the pavement without breakage.
So be aware that there are different hardening processes out there for different applications.
There also are companies that "coat" or..for lack of a better term , anodize gears for transmissions on diffs that actually imbed different friction mediums into the gears themselves, they are commercially available and do work, but once the gears wear through that medium, you have a standard set of gears. I would think for most applications, I would run the stock FR gears and look towards a different type of lubrication to get where you need to be. One more item, I'm not sure of your application but the fast guys around here running normally aspirated 4 cam engines are running 4.56 at the drags. You might want to choose a 3.9 (or similar) for the street instead of the 3.73 which is considered an all around great gear for the pushrod motors. The cammers seem to like a bit more gearing.
Hope this helps instead of confuses.

I did some reading on the different materials for track and street plus we run a 9.5 ring gear set in a alum Mark Williams 9" that are rim finished. I do have a '11 GT with a 2.3 whipple with 3.31 gears now and the Tremec Magnum XL with the 2.97 first gear waiting to go in. I was thinking of the 3.73 gears.

FWIW the fast dragster guys around here running blowers are running 3.9 to 4.10, the normally aspirated guys are running 4.56 in their 4 cam mustangs.
So with that in mind, I would think the street guys would be running 4.10-4.30 NA and 3.73 -3.9 with a power adder, depending on how hard core you are. (keep in mind you are talking to a guy that use to run 5.13s on the street)

I know I am bumping a very old thread here , but according to the company, Weir Racing's Ring & Pinion kits us FRPP gears, that are then treated by them and packaged as a low friction kit.
Like this one I am probably purchasing for my rear-end rebuild :http://www.weirracing.com/product/weir-racing-low-friction-8-8-gear-and-bearing-set-s197/
So in theory as long as Ford Racing ring& pinion kits are still generally considered quality manufactured (whoever makes them) these should be good kits for road racing/street cars that as long as they are installed correctly should offer low rear-end noise compared to most of the other offerings on the market.

TMO Supporting Vendors