The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low seat mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to sell the factory recaro seats out of my 14 GT track pack.

I want to put in a set of Recaro pole position buckets, but i cant find many low seat mounts for after market buckets.

I have found "planted performance" and "Corbeu" mounts.

What are you guys using. I dont plan on using a slider on the driver side to maximize helmet clearance from tje interior roof. But i will be using the recaro side brackets.

Thank you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
WELCOME GRIPDRIVER!
Post up some pics of your car.

Sorry I have no info for your seat mounts...but I'm happy you decided to come aboard!

Watson Racing has one, its a weld in.

It sits flush with the top of the braces on the floor the seat normally bolts to. Cannot get lower than that really.

Now i need to find an installed picture of a bolt in mount and see how high it sits over those braces.

If anyone has the planted performance mount, can you please give me an educated guesstimate of how high that bracket sits ovsr the floor braces it bolts to?

I fit in the car currently with the heavy recaro seats and a helmet, which is amazing due to the fact im 6'7" haha, but id like to mount a bucket as low as possible to get my weight low in tje car, and have me eye line be in the center of the windshield.

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
Off-the-shelf bolt in seat bracket solutions are always compromised (the weld-in kit by Watson works - for a race car). We used to make a chassis side seat mount for the S197, to fit one model of Cobra seat and with specific Cobra side brackets, and only the Cobra slider. It didn't work any other way without modifications. It was very stout, super low, had integral mounts for the OEM seat belt anchor, anti-sub harness belt anchors, and harness lap belt anchors. After making about 20 of these I did the time+material calculations and it took more time to make than we what sold it for, so it was a "loss leader". I was doing this to try to sell seats but it didn't help. Yea I don't sell that setup by itself anymore.

_DSF2582%20copy-M.jpg

Problem was people bought just these brackets, then didn't follow our instructions and tried to use them for other seats, side brackets, and sliders. Nightmare of customer support issues. The problem is that it is NOT impossible to make a "one size fits all brands" seat bracket for a given car. You end up with janky crap like this, below.

Camaro-seat-test-051716-M.jpg
Video: https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Vorshlag-Test-Pilots/Joe-Birmingham-2013-Camaro/i-sc228zg/A

This is not atypical. I'm not a fan of store bought brackets for racing seats. In 15 years of this business I've never seen one that worked worth a damn. They have to be built to fit so many seat styles and mounting holes that they either look like a "shotgun blast" of holes or you have to drill your own. And these always tend to be 2-3" too tall. Unless your name is Tyrion Lannister, you probably need to have custom seat brackets built.

Modified-seat-bracket-052516-M.jpg
video - https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Vorshlag-Test-Pilots/Joe-Birmingham-2013-Camaro/i-ghjcWfg/A

With 3.2 hours of modifications we made these "bolt in" brackets fit without slop and lowered them 2" while adding 3" of fore-aft travel. We usually quote 3-4 hours of fabrication work to build brackets from scratch for any fixed back racing seat so the customer would have saved many hundreds of dollars.

TMO Supporting Vendors