The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

lower control arm to strut bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone reused the one time use suspension bolts and put loctite on them?
It seems to me that once the nylock is used you could use loctite to lock the nut in place. Or am I missing something on what they mean when they say one time use nut and bolt.

Sesshomurai

Well, you _could_ do that. Some do. But there are also stresses on the bolt threads once its loc'd tight that, when loosened, affect the bolt structurally. That's what the engineers will say. But as others have pointed out, it might just be a CYA kind of thing. What I did was simply order a new set of LCA bolts from here[1]

[1] http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2012/FORD/MUSTANG/BOSS%20302/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1501235&diagram=JC10690

D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you mean the strut-to-spindle bolts, they are specified as "Torque To Yield", meaning one-time use. Like Darren said, some of this is CYA, but I typically get new bolts from his same source (Tousley) if I need to take this stuff apart. I've re-used the stock bolts a few times on my '06 Mustang, but at the price of these bolts, there's really no reason not to just get the new ones unless you're stranded.

I was having difficulty finding the bolts from the online aftermarket places. I guess I just need to order them from my local Ford dealer. Thanks for the info.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
maddog said:
I was having difficulty finding the bolts from the online aftermarket places. I guess I just need to order them from my local Ford dealer. Thanks for the info.

Look at that link that Darren posted above--they have all the OEM stuff you need, at non-stealership prices. Just gotta click through the links to find the right section and diagram.

I found them at my local dealer. At about 3 bucks a piece.
Its funny because I was trying to order a world challenge front splitter from them and after about a week of them trying to get one from there supplier the said they could not get it due to the 2013 parts list not being updated from 2012. But I got my bolts. I guess they are the go to place for the simple stuff.
Thanks for the link. It will come in handy.

Where does it say they are torque to yield bolts?

Many single use bolts are specified that only because they come with loc-tite pre-applied. If you put new loc-tite on them they are fine to use again. And Nylocs can be used many times before they are used up.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
908ssp said:
Where does it say they are torque to yield bolts?

Many single use bolts are specified that only because they come with loc-tite pre-applied. If you put new loc-tite on them they are fine to use again. And Nylocs can be used many times before they are used up.

That's it!!!

Ford manuals reference 'one-time use fasteners' and the online community has been confusing it with TTY. I've been trying to convince people that the suspension fasteners are *not* TTY, and that the proof is the single torque spec and the use of loc-tite.

I haven't been against the replacement of fasteners due to the relatively low replacement cost. But from a materials standpoint, I would rather use an existing fastener that has proven to hold the normal forces that I subject it to, rather than getting a new, untested/unproven fastener. That might be counter-intuitive...but basically, ain't broke...don't fix.

Since we're off topic anyway how many times can you reuse the front caliper bolts?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Since we're off topic anyway how many times can you reuse the front caliper bolts?

I didn't think we were off topic...OP asked about one time use suspension fasteners and loc-tite?

But for the caliper bolts, I would replace when threads or hex head show any damage...or fire. ;D

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
Rick
I would replace the front bolts each season if you run a lot of days and change rotors 3 or more times a season. Just for peace of mind, like when Gary snapped the lug stud threads wear and metal fatigues.
Also 908SSP may have a point about TTY on the struts, there is no lock tight but I believe the nuts are deformed thread so when you torque the bolts you deform the bolt thread and that interference locks the nut and bolt together. Ford must be afraid that reuse has the potential for backing off due to vibration. All speculation on my part, I have used my original set 3 times and just changed to new one when I did the camber plates. I have a complete set of rear suspension bolts and nuts that I am changing out this winter, paid $89 at Levittown Ford for the complete set.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors