The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lower grill inserts, who wants one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orng302 said:
I would like one as well if it's not too late. What about shipping and payment details?

Sorry, but all 10 are spoken for at this time. If someone backs out, I will let you know. It appears that I could sell another 10 if I made them! We shall see....

drano38

Wayne
Got mine installed tonight. His install directions are very clear. And its very easy--mark and drill 2 holes, insert fasteners.
It sits far enough back that it won't be real visible, so being gloss isn't a big deal to me.

Here's a top view of the screen.
20120417193232.jpg

It mounts against the step in the fascia as indicated by my finger.
20120417193520.jpg

I put painters tape on, and used a drill bit to score the tape, then poked the center with a sharp point before drilling.
20120417194446.jpg

Directions say first drill a 1/8" hole, then followup with a 9/32" bit. Be careful the bit doesn't run when you start it. Also, we can't get the drill perpendicular to the side because the angles make the drill body hit the top of the opening, but it still works fine. If you have an angle head drill, it would work better.

Pushing the fasteners in with a needle nose pliers is easier than fingers. They fit snug.
20120417200412.jpg

The fastener has a Phillips plastic screw in the center to aid removal--sorry for the blur.
20120417200639.jpg

I'm sure it will protect the AC condenser from rocks, tire worms, and other debris.

Finally, I've got a mod Gary doesn't ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
06mach1 said:
Sorry, but all will be gloss black. The gloss is not real shiny though. I would think once you get it you could spray it with Krylon satin black and get good adhesion. You might want to see what it looks like in place first before you paint it though.
OK cool, that is not a problem, I'm still in for one!

GA
06mach1 said:
orng302 said:
I would like one as well if it's not too late. What about shipping and payment details?

Sorry, but all 10 are spoken for at this time. If someone backs out, I will let you know. It appears that I could sell another 10 if I made them! We shall see....

It sounds like you have an opportunity here to make some money. If I were you I would take some vacation time, bust my butt and make a few hundred of them, and then charge $250 or so for them. Gotta strike while the iron is hot- the demand won't be there forever. I would take one at that price.

I know some guys with non-bosses with the CS style bumper that would possibly want them at that price. IIRC it is the same down there.

I was thinking, I might get some of the same mesh for the holes for the brake ducts. Should be easy to just cut a circle and safety wire them in like the 302S grill. Not sure they are needed, but it would sort of complete the look.

06mach1 said:
It looks like all 10 are spoken for so I will start building them. Here is who I have listed.
1. FatBoss
2. landlocked
3. Dean#4AI
4. reakhavok
5. ArizonaGT
6. fuhrius
7. VTBoss302
8. CaliMR
9. shu2ski
10. gww52
I ordered steel tonight and will get started on them this weekend at the latest. It will probably take at least a couple of weeks for me to finish the steel work and then another couple of weeks for powder coating. I do hope to get them done sooner, but don't bank on it. I will PM all of you when they go to powder coating and how to make payment then and get shipping addresses. I will except paypal for payment. I will also update here on the progress. Thanks guys, John

Thanks!

Should have all the frames built today. Just waiting on the mesh to show up. The mesh is supposed to be here on Monday. I am hoping to have them to the powdercoater by Friday at the latest.

scaled.php

scaled.php

06mach1 said:
Should have all the frames built today. Just waiting on the mesh to show up. The mesh is supposed to be here on Monday. I am hoping to have them to the powdercoater by Friday at the latest.

Sweet.

Thanks for doing this.

George

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
06mach1 said:
The grills are built and will be headed to the powder coater tomorrow. Hopefully he gets them coated in a week.

Wow, you move quick! Can't wait to get mine. Let us know when and how to submit payment.

BLAZN BOSS said:
Whats the chances of getting one made out of aluminum?

Probably none..... I have a hard enough time welding the thin stainless wire to the steel. I would hate to try that with aluminum. The steel will be a lot stronger than aluminum and the grill does not weigh more than 2 lbs. A little less actually.

ArizonaGT said:
06mach1 said:
The grills are built and will be headed to the powder coater tomorrow. Hopefully he gets them coated in a week.

Wow, you move quick! Can't wait to get mine. Let us know when and how to submit payment.

I took a few days off work this week to get the grills done. Powder coater said they would be done by Monday. I will send everyone a PM with details on payment and shipping.

TMO Supporting Vendors