The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lower grill inserts, who wants one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My latest batch of lower grills went to the powder coater this afternoon. They should be ready to ship shortly. If anyone is interested, I have a few that are not spoken for. Send me a PM if you want one. Thanks, Mike

They look great.

But if your having heat issues don't use it. The lower opening is where 90% of your air comes to the radiator especially if you use a splitter. Any blocking there is a bad thing. Air spills over the hood so the top opening is much less effective for cooling.

908ssp said:
They look great.

But if your having heat issues don't use it. The lower opening is where 90% of your air comes to the radiator especially if you use a splitter. Any blocking there is a bad thing. Air spills over the hood so the top opening is much less effective for cooling.

I feel that this grill is almost a "must have" mod for the 2012's considering the added protection it provides.

Given the open mesh design, I am inclined to think airflow must still be pretty good.

However, I've never experienced any overheating issues and don't know anything about airflow or aerodynamics.

George

I have had no over-heat issues while tracking my car with the grill in. The warmest day I ran so far was earlier this year at Nelson Ledges and it was 90 degrees ambient air temps. Can't speak for anything warmer than that. I have not heard from anyone that has had an overheat issue that runs the grill insert either.

908ssp said:
They look great.

I got mine and put it in last night....thanks Mike! Product looks great and fits well. Finishes the opening prperly. Wnenn

908ssp said:
They look great.

The lower opening is where 90% of your air comes to the radiator especially if you use a splitter. Any blocking there is a bad thing. Air spills over the hood so the top opening is much less effective for cooling.
I wondered about that. I have to believe that is contributing to my continued cooling challenges. I got a quote from my dealer for a new condenser $112 plus R&R on the coolant for a total cost of $250. I'm considering trying that first before gutting the A/C from the car. You can see that most of the lower opening is blocked:

20120612092714483.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-06-13

20120612092637231.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-06-13

GA
I can't imagine how 06Mach1's lower grille insert could cause overheating issues. It is wide open mesh. It is a great piece of workmanship and fits like a glove. It is a must have, especially if you have the 302S grille since that is what it the appearance was designed to coordinate with.

PJWANNABE said:
I can't imagine how 06Mach1's lower grille insert could cause overheating issues. It is wide open mesh. It is a great piece of workmanship and fits like a glove. It is a must have, especially if you have the 302S grille since that is what it the appearance was designed to coordinate with.
I am not suggesting his lower grille insert would cause any overheating issues. I was simply reflecting on the issue of the smashed A/C condenser blocking airflow to the radiator and it's in worse condition in the lower opening than the upper. Ergo, if the lower is driving 90% of the cooling and my condensner looks like it does, would it not follow that it's causing cooling inefficiencies? Unfortunately 06Mach1's lower grille insert would probably not prevent the fin damage I'm getting from small rocks, bugs and tire turds. The cooling fins on the condenser are EXTREMELY flimsy.

Gary, I would have to say your condensor is beat! It has got to be restricting airflow thru the radiator. They do make combs to straighten the fins out, but yours might be beyond that.

As far as my grill stopping everything.. I don't think it will. But I do believe it will stop or slow down most objects. The openings are around .4 inches. Chances are that even an object .25 (1/4") will at least hit an edge of the wire and slow it down a little and hopefully deflect it. A few guys wanted me to use 3 mesh, which the opening would be around .3 inches. I was worried that size mesh might contribute to overheating. My mesh does restrict the opening about 82% in surface area. 3 mesh reduces the area to about 73%. I cannot say for sure whether that reduction in surface area actually restricts airflow thru the grill in the same amount, but I doubt it. I would think the air would flow thru the grill in almost the same amount as it would without it, but it might not flow thru as fast.

06mach1 said:
Gary, I would have to say your condensor is beat! It has got to be restricting airflow thru the radiator. They do make combs to straighten the fins out, but yours might be beyond that.

As far as my grill stopping everything.. I don't think it will. But I do believe it will stop or slow down most objects. The openings are around .4 inches. Chances are that even an object .25 (1/4") will at least hit an edge of the wire and slow it down a little and hopefully deflect it. A few guys wanted me to use 3 mesh, which the opening would be around .3 inches. I was worried that size mesh might contribute to overheating. My mesh does restrict the opening about 82% in surface area. 3 mesh reduces the area to about 73%. I cannot say for sure whether that reduction in surface area actually restricts airflow thru the grill in the same amount, but I doubt it. I would think the air would flow thru the grill in almost the same amount as it would without it, but it might not flow thru as fast.
Yea I bought a comb early on but they're really designed for fins that are linear not triangular like ours. Yes it is beyond that. I just need to decide to either replace it and if so, possibly put in your grille, or just ditch the whole system. It somewhat comes down to a decision on how far to strip the car versus keeping it streetable. I've dug several small pebbles out of the condenser so it looks like small gravel is the main culprit. Your grille might slow some of that down but I'm afraid plenty would sail through and if you straighten out those fins you'll see just how flimsy and fragile they are so it really doesn't take much to bend them.

It's interesting if you look at those pics, the fins behind the plastic vertical supports are virtually untouched.

GA
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
I am not suggesting his lower grille insert would cause any overheating issues. I was simply reflecting on the issue of the smashed A/C condenser blocking airflow to the radiator and it's in worse condition in the lower opening than the upper. Ergo, if the lower is driving 90% of the cooling and my condensner looks like it does, would it not follow that it's causing cooling inefficiencies? Unfortunately 06Mach1's lower grille insert would probably not prevent the fin damage I'm getting from small rocks, bugs and tire turds. The cooling fins on the condenser are EXTREMELY flimsy.

I was just making a general statement. Wow, your condenser it trashed. I looked at mine recently and I had a dozen or so small impacts, but nothing like that.

cloud9 said:
06mach1 said:

Yea I bought a comb early on but they're really designed for fins that are linear not triangular like ours. Yes it is beyond that. I just need to decide to either replace it and if so, possibly put in your grille, or just ditch the whole system. It somewhat comes down to a decision on how far to strip the car versus keeping it streetable. I've dug several small pebbles out of the condenser so it looks like small gravel is the main culprit. Your grille might slow some of that down but I'm afraid plenty would sail through and if you straighten out those fins you'll see just how flimsy and fragile they are so it really doesn't take much to bend them.

It's interesting if you look at those pics, the fins behind the plastic vertical supports are virtually untouched.
I looked closer at my condenser today. The lower opening is almost completely thrashed. The upper opening is in relatively good shape behind the 302S grille, both behind the mesh fog openings and the plastic bars. I ordered a new a/c condenser for $112 from my dealer and they want about $200 to R&R the system and pop in the new condenser. Based on this I think 06mach1's lower grille may be the answer so I'm ordering that too. I hope this achieves both significantly increased airflow and keeping the a/c in the car. Removing it is only a 20lb savings, so short of eliminating the cost of continually replacing condensers, there's not much gain in removing the a/c.

drano38 said:
Got mine installed tonight. His install directions are very clear. And its very easy--mark and drill 2 holes, insert fasteners.
It sits far enough back that it won't be real visible, so being gloss isn't a big deal to me.

Here's a top view of the screen.
20120417193232.jpg

It mounts against the step in the fascia as indicated by my finger.
20120417193520.jpg

I put painters tape on, and used a drill bit to score the tape, then poked the center with a sharp point before drilling.
20120417194446.jpg

Directions say first drill a 1/8" hole, then followup with a 9/32" bit. Be careful the bit doesn't run when you start it. Also, we can't get the drill perpendicular to the side because the angles make the drill body hit the top of the opening, but it still works fine. If you have an angle head drill, it would work better.

Pushing the fasteners in with a needle nose pliers is easier than fingers. They fit snug.
20120417200412.jpg

The fastener has a Phillips plastic screw in the center to aid removal--sorry for the blur.
20120417200639.jpg

I'm sure it will protect the AC condenser from rocks, tire worms, and other debris.

Finally, I've got a mod Gary doesn't ;D
Not anymore ;D Mike this is some quality work. Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

drano38

Wayne
Well, I've still got you on the KR diff catch can ;)
The screen should help as you get ready to pass everyone ;D

06mach1 said:
Glad you like it Gary. Now lets see how well it protects your condensor.
I hear ya. I already took a couple dingers just driving it home from the dealership last night and then to work and back today so I decided I better get it on there. Install was a breeze. I can't believe how soft those fins are on the condenser.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel