The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lower grill inserts, who wants one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I figured I would make a seperate thread about the lower grill inserts I have made. I have made 4 so far, sold 3 to members here and kept 1 for myself. If I have enough interest, I would make another 10 for now. It takes me a long time to make one as I have to cut the steel, bend by hand and weld the entire grill together with the SS mesh, the same mesh used in the 302S grill. The grill is then powder coated gloss black. Mesh opening is about .450 with powder coating, so a little less than 1/2 inch. It ships with 2 plastic rivets that hold the grill in place. Simple installation. The grill is being sold for $175 shipped. So far I have 3 people interested, Fat Boss (Andy), landlocked (Dean Sellers) and Dean#4AI (Dean). If you want one post here or send me a PM and let me know. For those unfamiliar with what it looks like, here are a few pics.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Does the front bumper have to come off for the install? or is the install done with everything in place? I've had to take my bumper off twice now and i'm afraid one of these times its not gonna go back on the right way!! :-[
you can put me down for 1, if I can do it without taking everything off :)

You do not take the bumper off. You just insert the grill into the opening until it bottoms out. Mark hole on fascia on each side of insert with pencil. Remove insert and drill holes at locations marked by pencil. Re-install grill and install two plastic removable rivets in holes. Thats it. Simple.

I'm a definite maybe. My oil cooler lines run down there and are currently protected by a piece of hose cut in half. Keep me in the loop if you're close to your number.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
06mach1 said:
You do not take the bumper off. You just insert the grill into the opening until it bottoms out. Mark hole on fascia on each side of insert with pencil. Remove insert and drill holes at locations marked by pencil. Re-install grill and install two plastic removable rivets in holes. Thats it. Simple.
Sounds good, sign me up...

It looks like all 10 are spoken for so I will start building them. Here is who I have listed.
1. FatBoss
2. landlocked
3. Dean#4AI
4. reakhavok
5. ArizonaGT
6. fuhrius
7. VTBoss302
8. CaliMR
9. shu2ski
10. gww52
I ordered steel tonight and will get started on them this weekend at the latest. It will probably take at least a couple of weeks for me to finish the steel work and then another couple of weeks for powder coating. I do hope to get them done sooner, but don't bank on it. I will PM all of you when they go to powder coating and how to make payment then and get shipping addresses. I will except paypal for payment. I will also update here on the progress. Thanks guys, John

ArizonaGT said:
Sounds great--thanks!

Any chance of doing satin or matte black on the powdercoat?

Sorry, but all will be gloss black. The gloss is not real shiny though. I would think once you get it you could spray it with Krylon satin black and get good adhesion. You might want to see what it looks like in place first before you paint it though.

Boss_302 said:
I got one of the first batch, it's a very nicely made custom piece.

If you track your car you will like this…………….

Doug
I also have one from the first batch and Mike does nice work.

Mike does the mesh match or come close to the mesh on the 302S grille? Does your powder coat shop offer a matte black finish? While the gloss black is fine a matte black would match the plastic valance more closely.

5 DOT 0 said:
Boss_302 said:
I got one of the first batch, it's a very nicely made custom piece.

If you track your car you will like this…………….

Doug
I also have one from the first batch and Mike does nice work.

Mike does the mesh match or come close to the mesh on the 302S grille? Does your powder coat shop offer a matte black finish? While the gloss black is fine a matte black would match the plastic valance more closely.

The 302S grill has the exaact same mesh and it is gloss black also. I agree that the matt black might match it closer but I was told the matte black is not as durable as the gloss black. I think durability is more important than color match. I like that the grill stands out a little too. As said earlier, you can always put a light coat of Krylon on it.

TMO Supporting Vendors