The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lowering motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all

I posted about an issue for my friends racecar we are sorting out awhile back and you guys were great help.

We started putting his car back together this weekend and looked at the stock motor mounts. Then figured may as well do solid ones. Watkins racing has a beautiful set that lowers the motor an inch.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/COYOTE-ENGINE-MOUNTS-2011-2017-p/wr-coyotesldmnt.htm

My question is what else needs adjust with these. I imagine it would change the pinion angle. He does have an adjustable UCA. Perhaps this will also require a different tranny mount?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
jpt3 said:
Hello all

I posted about an issue for my friends racecar we are sorting out awhile back and you guys were great help.

We started putting his car back together this weekend and looked at the stock motor mounts. Then figured may as well do solid ones. Watkins racing has a beautiful set that lowers the motor an inch.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/COYOTE-ENGINE-MOUNTS-2011-2017-p/wr-coyotesldmnt.htm

My question is what else needs adjust with these. I imagine it would change the pinion angle. He does have an adjustable UCA. Perhaps this will also require a different tranny mount?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Jake
My motor is also lowered, though it's a 3V. Just had some clearance issues with the steering column hitting the headers but everything else was fine.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is this a street car or a race car? I'm wondering if solid mounts are a good choice for your application.
Back in the day we quit using solid side mounts in stock cars because it would sometimes pull a hunk right out of the block.
The motor moves and the frame moves and something has to give. We finally went to front and rear engine plates and that did the trick. Solid is really only good for an all out race car. Drag cars use them, not sure if they are using them on road courses.....but I wouldn't put them on mine. Just my 2 cents.

Fabman said:
Is this a street car or a race car? I'm wondering if solid mounts are a good choice for your application.
Back in the day we quit using solid side mounts in stock cars because it would sometimes pull a hunk right out of the block.
The motor moves and the frame moves and something has to give. We finally went to front and rear engine plates and that did the trick. Solid is really only good for an all out race car. Drag cars use them, not sure if they are using them on road courses.....but I wouldn't put them on mine. Just my 2 cents.

These are the EXACT things I'm wondering. It's a full on race car absolutely no street driving. Full cage etc. I would love to hear others thoughts on if it is even a good thing for road racing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
jpt3 said:
These are the EXACT things I'm wondering. It's a full on race car absolutely no street driving. Full cage etc. I would love to hear others thoughts on if it is even a good thing for road racing.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I see it says drag racing in the ad, so who knows. I'd call them. Maybe they figure there is enough flex in that long mount that its not a problem. I have the stock aluminum mounts and poly urethane isolaters. 4 years of street driving, drag racing and now road course work w/700 rwhp. seems to be working just fine so far.

Fabman said:
I see it says drag racing in the ad, so who knows. I'd call them. Maybe they figure there is enough flex in that long mount that its not a problem. I have the stock aluminum mounts and poly urethane isolaters. 4 years of street driving, drag racing and now road course work w/700 rwhp. seems to be working just fine so far.

Why did you decide to go with solid? We were just thinking more power transferred to the drivetrain. Who cares about vibration in a track car. My concern was breakage or too much vibration causing issues.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
jpt3 said:
Why did you decide to go with solid? We were just thinking more power transferred to the drivetrain. Who cares about vibration in a track car. My concern was breakage or too much vibration causing issues.
You mean on the oval track cars? Stock rubber mounts would often rip under the constant on and off and on and off the power lap after lap. It was all the rage for a while until people started breaking things.
Engine plates worked great and left plenty of room for headers etc. Hard to break a whole block in half but it's happened.
When you wreck and the motor is 100% part of the frame bad things can happen.

Yes, I would be worried about breaking stuff, but again, I would call Watson and ask them. Maybe I worry for nothing.

Fabman thanks for the input. I'm leaning more towards keeping stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors