The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lowering springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT said:
I'm no suspension expert but IMHO if I was playing with the suspension on the Boss I'd be treading very lightly. Too much interplay between components. I'd like mine to look lower also, and to maybe have a little less body roll. That said, if she really pulls 1.02G (LS w/Corsa's) then why the heck would I want to change it too quickly? Waiting for the FRPP upgrade could save you a lot of grief.
Exactly. We know FR continues their research on the springs and we should hear something soon. My money is on FR having a bolt on set of springs that will improve the on track performance, while not destroying street performance, and have been throughly track tested. I'm waiting for the springs to install camber plates so I hope they are available soon.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Question (or comment) for all of you waiting to lower your cars: Are you also factoring in the need for an adjustable rear panhard bar as well as (depending on the amount you lower it) rear lower control arm relocation brackets?

Lowering the car with a stock panhard will un-center the rear axle. An adjustable bar lets you get it back to center (as well as fix the OEM off-center).

For the lower control arm relocation brackets (you can see them in GrassRoots Motorsports article on the Boss 302S that Wilson brought down for them) gets the rear control arms back to parallel with the ground.

Just some thoughts to get ya'll spending more money ;)

Of course, if you are just doing the lowering for looks, ignore everything I wrote above ;)

JScheier said:
Question (or comment) for all of you waiting to lower your cars: Are you also factoring in the need for an adjustable rear panhard bar as well as (depending on the amount you lower it) rear lower control arm relocation brackets?

Lowering the car with a stock panhard will un-center the rear axle. An adjustable bar lets you get it back to center (as well as fix the OEM off-center).

For the lower control arm relocation brackets (you can see them in GrassRoots Motorsports article on the Boss 302S that Wilson brought down for them) gets the rear control arms back to parallel with the ground.

Of course, if you are just doing the lowering for looks, ignore everything I wrote above ;)
That's the squeezing the baloon effect that's kept me on the stock suspenion ;) Change one component, throw something out of whack elsewhere in the "system".

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
JScheier said:

That's the squeezing the baloon effect that's kept me on the stock suspenion ;) Change one component, throw something out of whack elsewhere in the "system".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkv_29Rncg[/youtube]

JScheier said:

I was aware of the need for a panhard bar to re-align the rear but the lower control arms will also need to be replaced? really? man.....

The good thing is that FR has all those parts now.... They could sell it as a whole kit. They even have the adjustable sway bars and adjustable end links. (*hint, hint*)

If we really wanted to get a little more "crazy" (and more than some do) Ford Racing should take what they already have, re-valve the shocks and retune the springs to be Boss specific if needed, and make it much more track oriented than street. Add the adjustable panhard, lower control arms and brackets and call it a day....

I am sure I am missing a piece here or there, but this would be a COMPLETE suspension solution. No guess work, no adding something cuz you changed this or that, etc etc. Just bolt it all in, set it at the recommended specs, and roll out. Make some tweaks here or there to fit your driving style and likes and leave it be. Wouldn't get much easier than that....
*****HINT, HINT, HINT HINT*****

This is what I am talking about - http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12427

adam81 said:
The good thing is that FR has all those parts now.... They could sell it as a whole kit. They even have the adjustable sway bars and adjustable end links. (*hint, hint*)

If we really wanted to get a little more "crazy" (and more than some do) Ford Racing should take what they already have, re-valve the shocks and retune the springs to be Boss specific if needed, and make it much more track oriented than street. Add the adjustable panhard, lower control arms and brackets and call it a day....
*****HINT, HINT, HINT HINT*****

This is what I am talking about - http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12427
I'm not sure you'd need much of this kit other than the springs though. If you're already running after-market strut mounts (e.g. MM c/c plates), and running staggered wheels. The Boss has all of this kit already built into the factory suspension, sans the adjustable sway bars. The new Boss-specific springs coming out from FRPP will be all you'd need. Otherwise, I'm thinking you might as well jump all the way to a full race suspension with fully adjustable control arms, sway bars, remote reservoirs, coilovers and no rubber or poly bushings.

cloud9 said:
I'm not sure you'd need much of this kit other than the springs though. If you're already running after-market strut mounts (e.g. MM c/c plates), and running staggered wheels. The Boss has all of this kit already built into the factory suspension, sans the adjustable sway bars. The new Boss-specific springs coming out from FRPP will be all you'd need. Otherwise, I'm thinking you might as well jump all the way to a full race suspension with fully adjustable control arms, sway bars, remote reservoirs, coilovers and no rubber or poly bushings.

I didn't mean that kit as it sits now exactly. I was using it as a reference or comparison to explain what I mean.

FR could sell COMPLETE TRACK OR STREET suspension kits for all model 2005+ Mustangs just by adding or taking away a few pieces depending on the model and maybe year. It's all the same chassis.... They can also develop different stages of kits like they have now. Really what I am saying FR already has. I am just talking about taking it a step further and making even more complete kits and more track oriented.

Yes I have some parts that I have bought already, but if I was going to buy I would just sell what I have (MM plates only). I am sure other consumers would do the same. If these options were available now a lot of consumers wouldn't have to worry about this because this would be their options.... Or they could just buy the stage kit that they need. Our cars don't have any of those parts on them from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong but even the stuts/shocks are different. And if they are the same what I am saying is revalve them and retune the lowering springs to be more track/competition specific than street use. If someone wanted a more street friendly suspension then offer a kit that is more geared towards that (which they will have once lowering springs are developed/sold).

Bottom line is FR right now basically has all parts needed to make very complete suspension packages both for the street and track (revalve shocks and retune springs to be track oriented).

The huge benefit to marketing the products in a bundle kit is everything is solved for the customer. You have a complete package that has been developed and engineered together. You also offer different stages of kits so customers that can't afford a big hit at once can buy in steps. You offer a discount to buy it in packages at all levels and give recommendations for setup at any given package level. It also gives consumers more options to buy which is a huge point in sales, and creates more sales when the customer wants to upgrade. They have one place to go back to.

It seems we get tunnel visions sometimes in the Mustang world with being Boss owners. But remember this is the same chassis as every other model Mustang. How many Mustangs have been sold? How many Mustang owners mod their cars? Start playing with those numbers and you can see there is a pretty big market out there. I for one would much rather buy from Ford/Ford Racing compared to another companies comparable product...

Now obviously I don't know FR price structure or internal business dealings with other manufacturers etc. But this really is a no brainer. In my little world anyways ::)

Gary.....this is your car shrink talking. You are way past that. You need to accept the fact that you will do a suspension mod. In fact you will do many suspension mods. The sooner you come to terms with this the sooner you can begin the healing process and transform into the complete car nut job we all aspire to become. However it is my moral and ethical responsibility to warn you. The longer and harder you fight this the longer your marriage will last....and the longer you will keep your car cuz you know that b**** will get everything!!!! :eek:

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
What would be nice, is if Ford Racing did what they used to do for Fox Bodies... have multiple versions of springs with varying spring rates. If I remember correctly they had C, F and a couple of others and the spring rates were PUBLISHED. That would be nice (hint).

Otherwise, I'd just move to 60mm springs and either go with race shocks ($$$) or convert the front tokicos to adjustable perches... unlimited number of spring rates to try & use.

Looks like I'm a little dense on this one.

What would you think you need to change on this kit to make it Boss specific?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12427

This is a very competent street/track suspension kit and would keep most people very satisfied without having to pay the $4k plus for a decent set of 2-3 way adjustable remote reservoir dampers on top of springs and bars.

CaliMR - Can you quantify "absurdly priced". Just trying to understand, nothing more.

mwilson7 said:

This is a very competent street/track suspension kit and would keep most people very satisfied without having to pay the $4k plus for a decent set of 2-3 way adjustable remote reservoir dampers on top of springs and bars.

CaliMR - Can you quantify "absurdly priced". Just trying to understand, nothing more.
Would this system be an improvement in handling over what is on the Boss already?

orng302 said:
mwilson7 said:

Would this system be an improvement in handling over what is on the Boss already?

In a word - yes

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel