The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 LS3 Pony Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Official results from last weekend. 15th overall out of 100. Not really where I want to be but I can't complain too much considering I was on 3 year old tires and threw away 2 of my 4 runs. I'm really considering adding weight and moving up to CAM-C to see how it does. I would need to add roughly 250lbs and figure out where to put it.
How is your weight balance currently? I thought I had seen you had/borrowed scales previously. I'm all for increased competition but how is the increased weight going to affect power and balance of the car? Being LS you probably have plenty of power on tap.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
How is your weight balance currently? I thought I had seen you had/borrowed scales previously. I'm all for increased competition but how is the increased weight going to affect power and balance of the car? Being LS you probably have plenty of power on tap.
If I added that much weight I could get very near to perfect weight balance. Power is not an issue. A couple times I've actually ran my best time of the day with a passenger so I think it could work.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
If I added that much weight I could get very near to perfect weight balance. Power is not an issue. A couple times I've actually ran my best time of the day with a passenger so I think it could work.
Go for it. The nice thing about adding weight for balance is if it doesn't work out can easily remove the weight again. Sounds like a good test.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
So I signed up for LS Fest Texas next month in Dallas. I've been wanting to go ever since I got the car together 5 years ago but it never worked out. One year I was signed up and blew the transmission two weeks before. With that said I need to make sure the car is ready to go. I finished up the the accusump install and finally got my oil temp gage put in.
IMG_3992.jpg

I finally got the new tires put on. Some more Yokohama A052's.
IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_3970.jpg

I was running a 295/35-18 and decided to switch to a 295/30-18 which is just over an inch shorter (26.1 vs 24.9). I've been worried about how it would look but after seeing them side by side it's not nearly as much of a difference as I thought.
IMG_3972.jpg
IMG_3974.jpg

On the car you can tell it's a little shorter but I think it still looks good. It should help my gearing situation until I get motivated to tear into the rear end again and swap gears(...again).
_DSC1697.JPG
_DSC1699.JPG
_DSC1700.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
So this isn't exactly progress on the car but it's close enough. The car has been patiently waiting for some action for months and I'm finally heading to LS Fest in Texas this week. I no longer have a trailer though. I sold the trailer I had with intentions of buying an enclosed but that never materialized. I have been borrowing my Dad's trailer when I need to but it's honestly a steaming pile of poo and it's a pain to get the car on. So, since an enclosed isn't really in the budget right now I picked up another 20ft open trailer. Luckily it already has D-rings on the front edge of the trailer for my wheel straps so I just needed to add some to the back. This time I went with the recessed style so they don't get in the way when loading the car. It was honestly kind of a pain to get these holes cut.

IMG_4204.jpg
IMG_4207.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg
IMG_4206.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
We made it through the inaugural LS Fest Texas. There were some hiccups along the way but I think the car did pretty well against some tough competition (C7 and C8 Corvette's).
IMG_4231.jpg

The new trailer pulled great and I averaged 12.6mpg for the whole trip which seem pretty good considering Texas is one giant traffic jam.
IMG_6727.JPG

Day one of competition we got in one autocross run and discovered the fan wasn't working while sitting in line to run again. It was around 103° and it absolutely needed the fan while sitting still. Had it been a purely track event I think we could have run without it with no issue. I spent at least a couple hours trying to figure out what what going on with no luck so I decided to just cut wires and run a wire straight to the back of the alternator on a toggle switch so we could keep running. I ziptied the switch to the strut tower bar and just reached through the hood vents to turn it off and on between runs.
IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_6730.JPG

I finally got the fan working at 6pm and headed for the Track X which was scheduled to run until 6:30. When I got there they said they had already made their 4 runs and shut it down. Without the Track X it would take me out of competition for Grand Champion completely because it was the only event that we weren't running on day 2.

Unfortunately(luckily) they lost everyone's times for day 1 so only the events on day 2 ended up counting. I was able to run everything Saturday which consisted of 5 AutoX runs, 4 3S challenge runs, and 3 drag strip passes.
IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4247.JPG
8BECE02D-08C9-42A6-AE90-B865C641BA76.jpg

I was in Late Model class so most of my competition consisted of C7 and C8 Corvettes and 6th Gen Camaro's all of which are very capable. I ended up finishing 9th overall in Late Model which I'm very pleased with. Only two cars ahead of me actually have an LS engine (the rest are LT's) and two cars ahead of me aren't Corvette's. I know the car could have done even better but I'm pleased.
IMG_4313.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Once I got back home I started digging into my fan issue. I triple checked all my wiring to the fan and the accusump and was completely dumbfounded as to what the problem could be. When I was checking the fuse box power with a multimeter it showed 12v on the feed wire but for some reason it wasn't turning the fan on. All the relays were working and the grounds good. I was lost. Then I started checking things with my PowerProbe (get one) and realized the power feed to the fuse box was only 5-6v under a load. The power feed to the fuse box had melted inside of the heat shielding and was still making contact to show 12v but couldn't carry enough current. I'm going to route the new wire a little farther from the header and I have some different head shielding on the way.
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4303.jpg
IMG_4304.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I got the car fixed this morning with the new power feed wire and heat shielding then proceeded to immediately break it again. I decided to drive the car to work (about 50 miles) and around mile 45 I hit the clutch to shift and it went straight to the floor. I saw a little smoke in the mirror which I assume was fluid on the exhaust. I turned around and drove back home with no clutch, I only had to run one stop sign and one stoplight because I couldn't stop. As soon as I got home I had to grab the other car and head back to work so I have no idea what happened yet. I have the Tilton release bearing that I put in with the new transmission and I'm using a stock clutch. When I get some time I'll have to get the car over to my dad's house and throw it on the lift to pull the transmission again to see what's going on. I swear this car hates me.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Luckily my clutch issue turned out to be a quick fix. First thing this morning my brother helped me tow it over to my dad's house so I could get it on the lift. It was about four miles and the front tow hook worked great.

IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4370.jpg

Once we got it up it was pretty obvious that the clutch line was damaged and the heat shielding was melted That Texas heat was brutal on the car. The bleeder hose was burnt to a crisp through the heat sleeve.
IMG_4372.jpg
37B195A4-9812-46A6-900B-064F7293D7DA.jpg
7F840C1C-5BAC-4691-AFC1-5619A5CA667B.jpg

Here is another spot that hadn't failed yet but looks like it was just a ticking timebomb.
IMG_4382.jpg

Luckily I had another piece of -3 line at home from my previous clutch and slave cylinder setups. I went with double heat sleeve this time and routing it differently to get it farther from the header. One thing I regret is not having these headers ceramic coated. It makes such a HUGE difference, worth every penny.
IMG_4377.jpg
D6CE92DC-7F96-41F4-AFAD-418BD5174982.jpg
F9D7501B-42EE-4AE4-89BC-832C95FBB3E0.jpg
D0A438DA-686A-48F8-AD5F-E36E6CBD0D8F.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I ran with Ozark Mountain Region SCCA in Neosho, MO last weekend. It was wicked hot. I ended up 9th overall and 8th in PAX out of 60 cars (but still 3rd in CAM-T o_O) . I was on pace for .8 quicker on my last run but I had to run back to back because of a re-run and the tires were just way too hot and I coned it away. It would have put me in the top 5 but it wasn't meant to be. The Yokohama's really don't like to be hot. The car did really well. I does great in steady state turning but has some transition oversteer when the back gets whipping side to side.

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

Some pictures from the event photographer. (Wish we had that in KC)
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4537.JPG
IMG_4538.JPG

Video of my best (cone free) run

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Today I'm making some little tweaks and I'm running tomorrow with Kansas City Region SCCA.

I lowered the rear of the car a little to help with the transitional oversteer and then rechecked my corner weights.

Full tank of gas and 213lb driver. I was able to hit my target cross weighs perfectly.
IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

I've had the rear sway bar in the stiffest position since I put it on so I dropped it down one hole to see what it feels like tomorrow.
IMG_4581.jpg

Since I lowered the back of the car I also had to adjust my splitter rods slightly to make sure it wasn't pointed up. I'm going to target -.5°
IMG_4580.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I've been too busy to post anything lately but I do have the results from my last autocross. Kansas City event #6.
I got my best ever finish with 2nd in PAX and 6th in Raw time(3rd car). Very happy with how the car is performing and I really wish it was in the cards to get to Nationals this year but that's going to have to wait another year sadly. I think the car would be competitive.

pax.PNG

raw.PNG

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I've been too busy to post anything lately but I do have the results from my last autocross. Kansas City event #6.
I got my best ever finish with 2nd in PAX and 6th in Raw time(3rd car). Very happy with how the car is performing and I really wish it was in the cards to get to Nationals this year but that's going to have to wait another year sadly. I think the car would be competitive.

View attachment 78600

View attachment 78601
What is a 2022 Doof Wagon? 🤨 a Google search brings up the rig from Mad Max.

TMO Supporting Vendors