The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

LTs with stock tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of all the ppl running longtube headers, how many are running them on a stock tune? My bama tune is getting pretty boring, and id love to get the functionality of the trackey back. But theres no way im letting go my LTs.

Cooltech did run their Kook LT's with the stock tune and TK with no issues. There's a thread on BMO that discusses it so try searching for it. The wideband sensors on our cars are capable of making the proper adjustments. I think the big issue was the CEL and many get a tune just to get rid of it. I believe Cloud9 has an aftermarket tune that keeps the stock parameters but turns off the CEL. I don't believe he's able to use TK though.

Tulsa, OK
I'd suggest an AED tune. The Bama tunes are pretty gutless in my opinion. I used Bama before I switched to AED. Night and day difference. You could even go with the lopey idle option...

sadil said:
Out of all the ppl running longtube headers, how many are running them on a stock tune? My bama tune is getting pretty boring, and id love to get the functionality of the trackey back. But theres no way im letting go my LTs.

I'd like to know how you like the LT's with Trak Key, if you decide to do that.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
You can run the no tune with long tubes, but since the o2's are farther downstream than stock, it will be down a bit on power compared to a tune which compensates for the o2 position.

From experience, the bama tune works ok, but a custom tune is just so much better. My car picked up about 8hp, 15tq and has a safer air/fuel ratio after going to a custom tune. The car was baselined with the bama tune before the custom tuning was done and the bama tune was bouncing off the knock sensors, which made the computer pull timing.

The place I had it done at had dyno graphs of before and after TK and there is a noticeable difference in power, but then was custom tuned and showed an improvement over TK.

Oh and one more thing, my tuner told me I could pass emissions without cats and 2 weeks ago, I did just that! Try that with TK!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I think I might do it so I can take my boss in to get that ac belt ticking tsb done. Car goes in on Thursday to have the hood decal replaced

NFSBOSS said:
Cooltech did run their Kook LT's with the stock tune and TK with no issues. There's a thread on BMO that discusses it so try searching for it. The wideband sensors on our cars are capable of making the proper adjustments. I think the big issue was the CEL and many get a tune just to get rid of it. I believe Cloud9 has an aftermarket tune that keeps the stock parameters but turns off the CEL. I don't believe he's able to use TK though.
Here you go

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2452.0;topicseen

Thanks, I just went back to stock tune. My goodness I missed trackeyyy! Lopey idle with LTs, O/R X, and 13' Borla GT500 S Types sounds monsterous. The car is a beast, even the condesation smoke (its 6C over here) coming out the rear pipes is like a howitzer firing rounds. I missed the engine braking too, the car backfires nicely when slowing down while in gear or suddenly letting off. Now time to park the car back in the garage and take the corolla tk work!

sadil said:
Thanks, I just went back to stock tune. My goodness I missed trackeyyy! Lopey idle with LTs, O/R X, and 13' Borla GT500 S Types sounds monsterous. The car is a beast, even the condesation smoke (its 6C over here) coming out the rear pipes is like a howitzer firing rounds. I missed the engine braking too, the car backfires nicely when slowing down while in gear or suddenly letting off. Now time to park the car back in the garage and take the corolla tk work!

Did the CEL come on?

It has always come on since i did the swap months ago. First it was the heater circuit not being ready (P0155), then it was full O2 sensor failure (dont remember the code). Had the O2's replaced and made an adjustment to the header's O2 sensor bung. Drove fine, and then the cat efficiency code came on (P0430). Ive had it for a while and comes back every 70 kms. I dont mind this one, the other's were related to the front O2 which is way too important to ignore.

sadil said:
It has always come on since i did the swap months ago. First it was the heater circuit not being ready (P0155), then it was full O2 sensor failure (dont remember the code). Had the O2's replaced and made an adjustment to the header's O2 sensor bung. Drove fine, and then the cat efficiency code came on (P0430). Ive had it for a while and comes back every 70 kms. I dont mind this one, the other's were related to the front O2 which is way too important to ignore.

Do you have a device that tells you the code? If yes, where do I purchase this device? I installed cat deletes on my car last week. After about 25 miles the CEL came on. The car seems to run fine. It seems to pull harder over about 4500 rpm. I would like to double check what the CEL represents though.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Just look for an OBD-2 reader online. Most allow you to reset the codes also. I own a nice Craftsman unit but my AeroForce gauge provides similar functionality.

-Pete

I have a SCT iTSX and it tells me the code, allows me to reset, and does a handful of other things through my phone.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
How about this beauty? Anyone using this Delphi/Verizon combo?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/vehicle-diagnostics.html

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I use the gopoint Bluetooth OBDII that links up with my iPhone. Works great. Also works nicely with Harry's lap timer

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
seca954 said:
You can reset the code even with Track Key? Where do you plug it in?

Use of TracKey has no bearing on deleting OBD codes. Keep in mind that if you do delete them then Ford cannot diagnose issues as easily since the 'evidence' is deleted.

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors