The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

lug nuts for forgestars f14

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
Hey Guys. A friend of mine ordered a set of Forgestars F-14's 19x9 front and 19x10 rear for his 2013 mustang GT. Was wondering what lug nuts to use. The american muscle website says the standard 13/16" lug nut won't fit. They recommend either tuner lugs or the spline kind of lugs. Does anyone with these wheels have any specific lug nut recommendations? Will a 3/4" hex or 19 mm hex (1/2-20) work?
Thanks...

I went with open ended spline gorilla lug nuts.

If your friend does get close ended tuner/spline lug nuts, make sure you it is long enough to clear the studs, specially the front ones. I had purchased close ended gorilla and mcgard lug nuts, they weren't long enough and rounded the end of the stud. Just something to look out for!

Also, I dont know if it matters, but i noticed the forgestar wheel lug nut seats get scoured pretty easy. not sure how to avoid it, or if it matters.

I have f14, I can use a regular craftsman 19mm socket to remove my wheels. I have both your basic black acron style and the open end super cool tuner ones.

Maui
Thanks a lot guys. I did see that vorshlag site with the 17mm open ended lug nut... That is small. I'll probably tell him to go with either a gorilla spline lug nut or maybe a 3/4" mcgard lug nut if a thin walled 19mm socket will fit. Thanks again.

Those Vorshlag lugs will do the trick, the gorilla lugs are much nicer but have a hefty price tag for what they are. The basic spline lugs will work also.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
FWIW I am using these on my stock boss wheels and they are pretty tiny and they only cost 24.99
http://www.americanmuscle.com/6spline-lugnuts-chrome.html

Justin, could you check your front stud ends, to see id they are rounded?
I ask, because the AM ones are taller by a small margin than the closed end gorilla lug nuts i had, which damaged and rounded off the ends of the front studs.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
FWIW I am using these on my stock boss wheels and they are pretty tiny and they only cost 24.99
http://www.americanmuscle.com/6spline-lugnuts-chrome.html

I bought the open-end version of those off Amazon because I needed some small lugs in a pinch for the SVE Drifts. IMO they work but don't have much material on them. Not much peace of mind for track wheels.

I ordered a bunch of the Vorshlag lugs earlier this week.

But if you have wheels that can take a standard 13/16 lugnut without issue, the only way to go is the FRPP open-end lug, IMO.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
F.D. Sako said:
Justin, could you check your front stud ends, to see id they are rounded?
I ask, because the AM ones are taller by a small margin than the closed end gorilla lug nuts i had, which damaged and rounded off the ends of the front studs.
i have had the wheels off and on about ten times or more since I installed them didn't notice anything like with my studs. I will look for sure next time I take a wheel off which probably will be this weekend.

I am using these lug nuts in combo with mcgard wheel locks as I just don't trust the area in the city where I work. Had to make it as hard as possible to steal for them if they try.

Maui
F.D. Sako said:
I went with open ended spline gorilla lug nuts.

If your friend does get close ended tuner/spline lug nuts, make sure you it is long enough to clear the studs, specially the front ones. I had purchased close ended gorilla and mcgard lug nuts, they weren't long enough and rounded the end of the stud. Just something to look out for!

Also, I dont know if it matters, but i noticed the forgestar wheel lug nut seats get scoured pretty easy. not sure how to avoid it, or if it matters.

F.D Sako,
Out of curiosity how long were your close ended gorilla and mcgard lug nuts? The ones I was looking at were the mcgard 64029, and these lugnuts are 1.45 inches long. I'm hoping this is long enough to clear the stud. They are also 3/4" hex size so I'm assuming they will fit in the lug well of the forgestar rim...

I was using Mcgard 25330 (1.24") locks along with Gorilla 21183BC nuts (1.36") . The Mcgard lugs actually failed, and I got lucky spotting them early before anything bad happened! check out the pics I posted here of the Mcgards.

Both the gorilla's and mcgards damaged the stud ends, so you want lug nuts longer than 1.36". The ones Justin posted, from AM are 1.31" tall, which is why I asked for him to double check. I was also using these with the SVT wheels, not sure if they have less material at the lug seats, exposing more of the studs.

808Boss, 64029 Mcgards seem to be 1.45" tall, so it may clear the studs. Does the Mcgard fitting guide confirm they fit the mustang?

Maui
F.D. Sako said:
I was using Mcgard 25330 (1.24") locks along with Gorilla 21183BC nuts (1.36") . The Mcgard lugs actually failed, and I got lucky spotting them early before anything bad happened! check out the pics I posted here of the Mcgards.

Both the gorilla's and mcgards damaged the stud ends, so you want lug nuts longer than 1.36". The ones Justin posted, from AM are 1.31" tall, which is why I asked for him to double check. I was also using these with the SVT wheels, not sure if they have less material at the lug seats, exposing more of the studs.

808Boss, 64029 Mcgards seem to be 1.45" tall, so it may clear the studs. Does the Mcgard fitting guide confirm they fit the mustang?

Thanks a lot. I have these mcgards (64029) on my setup with the SVE drifts and it seems fine. The locks I got were just as long as well (1.46").

TMO Supporting Vendors